Chapala.com Webboard

Need doors re screened

I have two sliding screen doors leading out to the patio that have been destroyed by my puppies.

I was hoping that someone on the forum could give me a name of a person you had used to re screen doors, etc. Also, do you have a recommendation as to the type of material I should use that may provide additional strength while still looking good ?

Thanks

Jaime at Vidrios de la Ribera has done lots of work for me. Medium priced, and does a good job, and will come back willingly to fix errors. He's done glass and several strengths of screening. 766-0064. Just east of Car City.

We've been very happy with VI-LU-MA and they've given same-day service. They have different thicknesses of screening to meet different needs so you can choose. I'd be sure to ask them to give you some extra screening at the bottom plate, tho, since this is often the first place the screens wear if dogs are involved.

If you use steel screening, sold in sheets at the iron suppliers in several guages, dogs cannot damage it. Aluminum or fabric screens do not last long with pets.

This. Make sure you get the galvanized though. We had our screens replaced with the galvanized screens about 4 years ago and they still look almost like new. And this is with our large dog trying to go through them. Tempisque iron works did ours.

When we built our house the builder just put in the cheap plastic screening. Later we got a dog, and guess what, the dog went right through the screens to our terrace as did the kids of my house mate.

So we contacted Vi Luma, who someone else on this site recommended, and we had them install steel screening and it works much better. They even put in a little door for our dog so she could access the terrace without our having to get up to let her out. We highly recommend Vi Luma. They have done other window/screen work for us and they do good work at a reasonable cost.

They are located right across from Dr. Leon.

I use a man called Jaime as well. But he is in Ajijic, north side, between Juarez and Colon on the Carretera. He had done for me 1 meter of maya (don't know the english name) and above in the mosquitero. It's a compromise between dogs and mosquitos. Mosquitos can penetrate the maya and dogs can penetrate the mosquitero.

I use a man called Jaime as well. But he is in Ajijic, north side, between Juarez and Colon on the Carretera. He had done for me 1 meter of maya (don't know the english name) and above in the mosquitero. It's a compromise between dogs and mosquitos. Mosquitos and penetrate the maya and dogs can penetrate the mosquitero.

Jaime runs Vi Lu Ma.

Archived