Chapala.com Webboard

Problem with installing Logitech security cameras

Following a recommendation on this board in 2013, I purchased from NOB three Logitech Alert security cameras. Unfortunately, after having carried out the actual physical installation of the cameras - following the very clear instructions provided with the cameras - I am still unable to get the cameras working correctly. Does anyone have any experience with this model of camera (Logitech Alert 750e, 700e & 700n) who could advise or assist?

I did contact one Lakeside security systems company who visited the house but they were unable to help. Then, in late December, I called in at the new office of the security systems company who are located in the row of shops beneath the Hole-In-One, and they accepted the task and said that an engineer from their company would contact me and that they were confident that he would be able to get my system up and running. I visited their office a couple of times to chase them up, all with the assurance that they were still had the tasking in hand, but all I have ever received in the way of contact is a single telephone call one day at 5.30 pm asking if they could come at that moment to the house (at the time I was out at a restaurant having a meal with friends so the lack of advance notification and that time in the evening was totally unacceptable). Since then, I have visited their office twice more and each time they have assured me that one of their engineer would call to carry out the task. It is now 17 weeks since my first visit to their office, needless to say I would not recommend this security system company. Aaah Mexico, my Mexico!

Are these relying on your Internet connection and an IP address to hook up to your computer? I have had varied success with these installations, different brands. Never sure til I try. Logitech support a good first step, if you feel this is something you can do.

You didn't say if they work at all .... or just not over the Internet

They all should be addresses on your local network and the monitor program on your PC should find them if it's all Logitech. Your monitor program should have a window for each camera. My Logitech had a default address that can be changed ..... so you can have internal addresses 192.168.0.100, 101, 102 and 103 for the cameras.

Check DynDNS.com if access via Internet is the problem

Mucho blah blah but you didn't give much detail

These are not wireless cameras, they use power line adapters for connection to the router. The 750e unit that the OP has is the master unit, and with the software installed on the local computer connected to the same router the cameras can be monitored locally and even from more than one computer each with the software installed. This should be pretty straightforward and it would be nice to know if this works.

Once the cameras are functioning locally then you have to deal with Logitech to add the capability of remote monitoring over the internet.

These are not wireless cameras, they use power line adapters for connection to the router. The 750e unit that the OP has is the master unit, and with the software installed on the local computer connected to the same router the cameras can be monitored locally and even from more than one computer each with the software installed. This should be pretty straightforward and it would be nice to know if this works.

Once the cameras are functioning locally then you have to deal with Logitech to add the capability of remote monitoring over the internet.

Might be if they are transfering video or data to encode/decode video over a power line adaptor if no ground is used in the house it will not work. No ground wire is very common here on most plugs and fixtures in older construction, even new constuction if the builder is cutting corners.

Alan makes a good point; also, not all the outlets will be on the same circuit, and this will also prevent the powerline technology from working.

I checked the technology on line at the Logitech site and I feel even if the circuits are not on the same breaker the ground has to be the same (common earth ground) and is the main connection needed to transfer the signal to the router. They call this technology "piggybacking"

Try the playback format

Gosh, thank you all for this info. Most of the info I cannot really comprehend - if I can see a problem, I can usually fix it, but these invisible wriggly signals leave me baffled. I can add a few additional facts for you experts. I have 3 cameras (1 indoor (700n) and 2 outdoor cameras (750e & 700e)) which send signals through the house electrical wiring to a Network Adapter which sends the information via a router to the Logitech system installed on my laptop. The indoor camera (700n) did function correctly after the initial installation and was detected by the Logitech system on my laptop and I could see the camera picture. After a couple of months, the Logitech system on the laptop could no longer find the indoor camera. I have 2-phase electrics in the house and the indoor camera (700n) and the outdoor camera (750e) were definitely on the same phase but the Logitech system on the laptop couldn't find the outdoor camera (750e). I have tried the playback format but the Logitech system just says 'downloading recording' but nothing happens. I would appreciate it if some kind and knowledgeable person could perhaps find time to visit me and cast an expert eye on the problem - I have plenty of beer/wine etc in the fridge.

Why don't you start with only the outdoor 750e and its power line adapter plugged in, because its the master unit, and the router's power line adapter plugged in and connected to the router, and see if you can get that to work. If you can't then you may have a defective 750e on you hands and nobody can get it to work. The 750e should be plugged into the same breaker circuit as the router for starters, even if its not the one it will ultimately be plugged into outside.

Archived