Chapala.com Webboard

La Ancla

gringal

Went there for dinner with a group last Saturday evening. Outstanding menu; finely prepared at a reasonable price. Entrees ranging around $120-$160 pesos; generous portions. Lots of variety, nice setting.

Went back to try lunch today: Quality meat in the hamburger; cheesy chicken sandwich was even better and you could substitute grilled veggies for fries if you wanted to. Prices $65-$75 pesos. Other burger options were shrimp or portabella mushrooms.

Opens at noon. Full bar.

Definitely a keeper.

While soliciting donations for silent auction items for the recent Have Hammers Will Travel fundraiser on February 12th -- I had the pleasure of meeting the owner (spaced out on his name -- but he is a very nice young man, speak good English, and was taught good work ethic from his parents) -- I am happy to see such an industrious and caring young man make a go of a restaurant Lakeside -- not an ez proposition. Our Focus on Mexico alumni group has a luncheon there this very Wednesday and I am looking forward to that juicy burger...grilled veggies instead of fries -- that's truly amazing...thanks for sharing...

While soliciting donations for silent auction items for the recent Have Hammers Will Travel fundraiser on February 12th -- I had the pleasure of meeting the owner (spaced out on his name -- but he is a very nice young man, speak good English, and was taught good work ethic from his parents) -- I am happy to see such an industrious and caring young man make a go of a restaurant Lakeside -- not an ez proposition. Our Focus on Mexico alumni group has a luncheon there this very Wednesday and I am looking forward to that juicy burger...grilled veggies instead of fries -- that's truly amazing...thanks for sharing...

________________________________________________________________________________________

Gringal: My only complaint: We arrived promptly at noon when they opened, which might have something to do with the almost raw carrots among the nicely grilled zucchini. I imagine that later, the carrots would have been a tad softer. They do take more time.

Recommended: Arrive around 12:30 or later. Give 'em time to get it together.

Got the answer: it's a grammar thing about the modifier for words starting in "A". Aha.

It is El Ancla because ancla is a male noun. Confusing because it ends in an "a" and not an "o".

I wonder where it is. Pity a good place has no location address

It is west of Ajijic. Go past the Pemex and La Canacinta. It is located past all the topes on the lake side next to the entrance to La Reserva. It is a little strip center with the restaurant and an artisan shop.

It is El Ancla because ancla is a male noun. Confusing because it ends in an "a" and not an "o".

Actually, "ancla" is a feminine gendered noun, but if it is preceded by the definite article, you use "el" and not "la" because the noun begins with the sound "a." If you're speaking of a heavy anchor, it is "una ancla pesada," with the adjective "pesado" ending in "a" for gender agreement. This is the same situation as the word "agua."

Sorry...it's the grammar nerd in me.

Actually, "ancla" is a feminine gendered noun, but if it is preceded by the definite article, you use "el" and not "la" because the noun begins with the sound "a." If you're speaking of a heavy anchor, it is "una ancla pesada," with the adjective "pesado" ending in "a" for gender agreement. This is the same situation as the word "agua."

Sorry...it's the grammar nerd in me.

Thanks! My bad. I always thought it was a male gendered noun. Now I know. Need to brush up on some more.

The rule is that if a feminine noun starts with a STRESSED A sound (either A of HA) then you use EL as the definite article. Examples: el ancla, el agua, el arte,el ala, el hambre

This is somewhat similar to what we do in English with nouns starting a vowel or vowel sound using AN instead of A.

Examples: a banana but an apple, a disgrace but an honor

But if the word is made plural then the feminine plural definite article LAS is used because you will not have the two A sounds next to each other:

las anclas, las aguas, las artes, las alas, las hambres

If you use an adjective to modify these nouns the adjective is always in the feminine because the word itself is actually feminine despite the use of el:

el ancla vieja, el agua fria, el arte moderna, el ala blanca

Thus the Spanish for "fine arts" is Las Bellas Artes.

Got the answer: it's a grammar thing about the modifier for words starting in "A". Aha.

The rule is that if a feminine noun starts with a STRESSED A sound (either A of HA) then you use EL as the definite article. Examples: el ancla, el agua, el arte,el ala, el hambre

This is somewhat similar to what we do in English with nouns starting a vowel or vowel sound using AN instead of A.

Examples: a banana but an apple, a disgrace but an honor

But if the word is made plural then the feminine plural definite article LAS is used because you will not have the two A sounds next to each other:

las anclas, las aguas, las artes, las alas, las hambres

If you use an adjective to modify these nouns the adjective is always in the feminine because the word itself is actually feminine despite the use of el:

el ancla vieja, el agua fria, el arte moderna, el ala blanca

Thus the Spanish for "fine arts" is Las Bellas Artes.

Fascinating. Thank you.

anne roche -- according to the young owner I referenced in a previous post, he is not open on Sundays because he gets more of the Guad Mexican crowd and he would rather deal with the expats -- now how's that for a twist!!!

Good for him. Everybody deserves a day off, and if they can afford to be closed on Sunday, why not?

I just hope they stay open for a long, long time during the week. Such good food.

The owner told me he closes Sunday so he can spend it with his two sons. It sounded like they live with the wife (ex?) the rest of the time.

Yes love the food and service...only issue I have is the noise. It isn't exactly their fault but many times people do not realize how their voices carry. This is worse when their is a large group and someone yells to someone else way down the table. This can happen with just 2-4 people as well. I am all for having a good time and laughing, but I know people who have ended up taking "take out" because of this. Approaching people about this usually isn't accepted well and people get testy.

My experience has been that the loudmouthed diners really downgrade the experience for the rest of the people who are in a restaurant.......any restaurant. Get a table of even four of them, all just HAVING to be heard and you've got it.

People: How about just being considerate? You're not the only people in the room, and we're all paying the same price for our meals. Your laughing like a hyena and shouting to someone down the table just shows your mama didn't raise you right. It's not too late to learn how to behave in company. Please. :P

The noise problem comes from the fact there are a lot of tables there and the layout and materials of the room itself cause the sound to bounce around. There is basically no sound absorption in that room with all those hard surfaces and (relatively) low ceiling.

We're going to try different times when it might be quieter. The food is just too good to pass up.

My experience has been that the loudmouthed diners really downgrade the experience for the rest of the people who are in a restaurant.......any restaurant. Get a table of even four of them, all just HAVING to be heard and you've got it.

People: How about just being considerate? You're not the only people in the room, and we're all paying the same price for our meals. Your laughing like a hyena and shouting to someone down the table just shows your mama didn't raise you right. It's not too late to learn how to behave in company. Please. :P

Amen!!!!

I sometimes feel like sending my tab over to the loudmouth table since they ruined my dining experience and I think they should compensate me.

Archived