Chapala.com Webboard

Crossing at Lukeville

Hola, we are a couple of weeks away from heading south from Vancouver. In the past we have crossed at Nogales but are planning on crossing at Lukeville this year. We would very much appreciate any advice or information on crossing there. We will be traveling with our dog. No problems in the past. Thanks in advance. :-)

I recently traveled this route to California and found it problem free. No real delays, some slow down due to one lane traffic in a few road construction area near Hermosillo. I'll assume you have a vehicle that has a Temporary Import Permit and thus will want to turn that in to get your deposit back. If so then you'll need to stop at the new facility outside of Altar, where the Banjercito now resides. It's on the left side of Hwy 2 before Pitiquito. After that stop, there isn't any further need to stop until you reach the border crossing at Lukeville. You'll want to gas up in Caborca or Altar, as there isn't much until Ajo, AZ.

Others on the forum can recommend overnight locations that are canine friendly, I stayed at the Best Western in Navojoa, then the La Siesta in Ajo, but I don't know their policy on pets.

I meant to attach this link to the Cuota Road Tolls. It's kinda nice to know how many pesos you need when coming into a toll booth. All tolled it's about 1500 pesos if you use all the cuotas.

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdSolRutas

Just input Chapala, Jalisco as your starting point and Sonoita, Sonora as the destination, then you can print out the listing to have in the car.

Gary

We came down thru Lukeville 3 weeks ago. Crossed early morning just after they opened. We have a Mexican plated car. There was a customs place at the border, at the 20K point and another one about 100K from that one. Got the green light all 3 times. We had a dog. Nobody checked. The rains south of Culiacan made the right lane on 15 a pothole nightmare. Drive in the left lane.

In Navajoa there is a Best Western on the north end of town that is clean, safe and dog friendly. Los Arcos in Mazatlan on the beach is dog friendly too.

We came down thru Lukeville 3 weeks ago. Crossed early morning just after they opened. We have a Mexican plated car. There was a customs place at the border, at the 20K point and another one about 100K from that one. Got the green light all 3 times. We had a dog. Nobody checked. The rains south of Culiacan made the right lane on 15 a pothole nightmare. Drive in the left lane.

In Navajoa there is a Best Western on the north end of town that is clean, safe and dog friendly. Los Arcos in Mazatlan on the beach is dog friendly too.

Good info. Done this route to Seattle four times round trip. The only thing to add is staying in AJO north of the border is cheaper than Gila Bend. Ajo has a nice restaurant with home made food and microbrews. Motels north of Ajo are cheap and clean. Gila Bend motels are expensive. Good Mexican restaurant opens early in Ajo also on west side of highway a couple of blocks north of Ajo town square. Good Breakfast place. B and B in Ajo but not cheap but it is nice. Gets booked up on busy time so I suggest reservations for the B and B. We break up the trip into short day to Guaymas Best western eat at restaurant across street and than go to Azteca inn in Mazatlan (long day). One last post about using highway 2 from Lukeville AR. to Santa Anna. Do not go North or South from this road. It is not safe. I have no dog info for you sorry. questions let me know.

Good info. Done this route to Seattle four times round trip. The only thing to add is staying in AJO north of the border is cheaper than Gila Bend. Ajo has a nice restaurant with home made food and microbrews. Motels north of Ajo are cheap and clean. Gila Bend motels are expensive. Good Mexican restaurant opens early in Ajo also on west side of highway a couple of blocks north of Ajo town square. Good Breakfast place. B and B in Ajo but not cheap but it is nice. Gets booked up on busy time so I suggest reservations for the B and B. We break up the trip into short day to Guaymas Best western eat at restaurant across street and than go to Azteca inn in Mazatlan (long day). One last post about using highway 2 from Lukeville AR. to Santa Anna. Do not go North or South from this road. It is not safe. I have no dog info for you sorry. questions let me know.

I am taking this to mean not to branch off of the number 2 Mex hwy onto roads leading either north of south from the number 2 Mex is this correct? I too plan on using this crossing at Lukeville in a few weeks.

Another question re vehicle import permit, is that issued at the Lukeville crossing or one of the other two customs checkpoints?

I am taking this to mean not to branch off of the number 2 Mex hwy onto roads leading either north of south from the number 2 Mex is this correct? I too plan on using this crossing at Lukeville in a few weeks.

Another question re vehicle import permit, is that issued at the Lukeville crossing or one of the other two customs checkpoints?

Yes do not leave Mexico highway 2 either north or south. You will go one check point about fifteen miles east to get your permit and go thru customs and get your visa. These days you do nothing at the border. You will go again through customs down the road again where the North south

road connects. There is gas food along highway 2 but don't push it. Pretty boondock area. Gas up in Mexico at Pemex after you leave Lukeville.

It is a good route and we have had no problems. Very pretty road if you like desert.

Yes do not leave Mexico highway 2 either north or south. You will go one check point about fifteen miles east to get your permit and go thru customs and get your visa. These days you do nothing at the border. You will go again through customs down the road again where the North south

road connects. There is gas food along highway 2 but don't push it. Pretty boondock area. Gas up in Mexico at Pemex after you leave Lukeville.

It is a good route and we have had no problems. Very pretty road if you like desert.

Something I am not aware of........Do all Pemex stations sell diesel fuel?

I'll second the observations here, Hwy 2 is very desolate, so after the crossing at Lukeville there isn't much until Caborca. You'll do your Visa about 25km from Lukeville. If you need a Vehicle TIP, you'll do that about another 100k down the road outside Altar (big newer facility, the Banjercito resides there).

I stayed in Ajo at the La Siesta, I booked thru Expedia so you might get info on pets there or a phone number. I crossed at Lukeville border just at 6am and made Navojoa by 6pm using the Perifico in Hermosillo.

Regarding Diesel, I would guess Yes, since there is usually a set of pumps for truckers at each station. Also there are "banos" at Pemex and at the Cuota toll booths, along with some refreshments or OxxO adjacent. But as a rule I'd fill up when I got to a 1/4 tank since some cuotas don't have many open Pemex on their roadways.

We are not really fast drivers, mostly 65 mph. So a fairily long first day if you spend the night in Navajoa. Second night in Mazatlan and 8 hr day the 3rd day into Chapala.

Can anyone give me an approximate duration for the trip from Lukeville to Chapala in days or hours of travelling time if all goes well?

We take three days. Stay at Ajo 20 miles north of border.

First day is Lukeville Az border to Guaymas on the coast. Short trip due to customs stops and paperwork. Stay at Best Western eat across street.

Second day is the long day: Guaymas to Mazatlan. Stay at Azteca Inn on golden triangle (Mazatlan secret for value) Great bar and restaurant.

Third day is Mazatland to Ajijic getting here around 1 to 2pm.

Total is about 22 hours for us but I drive for gas mileage at 100Km/hr or 62mph. Many folks do it in two stressful days.

Gotchas

Not much gas between Tepic and Guad.

You will be stopped many many times for feds/army/locals. We have never had a problem. Roll your tinted windows down so they can see and keep hands

on wheel so they feel comfortable. Most of the time you get the Gringo pass. Locals tend not to so Mexicans take an extra hour on day two believe or

not. We are treated very nicely for the most part. Just relax and use common sense.

Can't find anything you want at a Oxxo/Pemex rest area. I drink liquid yogurt. Try Subway for more solid food.

Watch out for detours in Hermisillo but it might be fixed by now. Sometimes the Guaymas sign points in two different directions.

Mazatlan is a little hard to get around. Easier to go to town center and go north on the shore road to golden triangle where the hotels are.

No signs if you get off the major roads and stuff like that. Another way is to go to the beach before Mazatlan and drive along the shore to

the golden triangle. Don't worry about this if you have navigation.

If it is your first time driving in Mexico. Don't be surprised on a two lane road like route 2 people pass in the middle of the road and you are

expected to drive on the shoulder. PAY ATTENTION. Also a truck with a left turn signal does not mean he is going into the left lane. It could mean it is safe to pass.

Good Luck done the trip Seattle to Ajijic four times. It is a lovely trip. We found with two people one drives and one navigates and

looks for Topes. If you are married be patient with each other. Sometimes driving here can be stressful.

I'll second the observations here, Hwy 2 is very desolate, so after the crossing at Lukeville there isn't much until Caborca. You'll do your Visa about 25km from Lukeville. If you need a Vehicle TIP, you'll do that about another 100k down the road outside Altar (big newer facility, the Banjercito resides there).

I stayed in Ajo at the La Siesta, I booked thru Expedia so you might get info on pets there or a phone number. I crossed at Lukeville border just at 6am and made Navojoa by 6pm using the Perifico in Hermosillo.

Regarding Diesel, I would guess Yes, since there is usually a set of pumps for truckers at each station. Also there are "banos" at Pemex and at the Cuota toll booths, along with some refreshments or OxxO adjacent. But as a rule I'd fill up when I got to a 1/4 tank since some cuotas don't have many open Pemex on their roadways.

Well that is new. Are you saying we can't get our TIP (car) permit at the customs/immigration center 25KM out of Lukeville? So this brings up the

question going the other way. Can you get your TIP sticker removed at the office closes to the border? Or do we do that at the more easterly center?

In the past I have got everything at the closest to lukeville offices. I only had to stop for customs check at more easterly station.

What is this Banjercito that is referred to here?

Thanks everyone for your answers and suggestions.

We still have the question about what is at the 25KM station and what is at the 150?? KM station.

1.)Can you turn your tip in at both stations?

2.)Can you get your tip at both stations or only one?

Mui importante or you have to drive back. I don't want to hand out bad information.

Ok the answers are NO and NO. South bound on Hwy 2 out of Lukeville - at 25km is the first station (outside Sonoyta), you will do your Visa process here, Passport and forms accordingly will be done here. NO Vehicle TIP issued or removed here.

The next station is another 100km down the road outside of Altar, again a newer facility where the Banjercito, the guys who collect the vehicle deposit, now reside. You'll need to park, go inside, do paperwork and pay for the TIP (Temporary Import Permit) for your vehicle.

On the return trip north, you'll do the reverse, turn in your TIP at the Altar stop (otherwise you forfeit the deposit). But there is no need to stop again until you're at the Lukeville crossing, where you'll show your passport to enter the US.

Archived