Chapala.com Webboard

Perry's Fish n' Chips!!!!!

localguy

Heidi and I just finished the absolute best fish n chips dinner we've ever had at lakeside! We both ordered the fish n chips plate which came with fries, home-made cole slaw and tartar sauce. I also ordered a cup of his home made clam chowder. Everything was incredible! Heidi doesn't care for clam chowder but she loved this!

The batter on the fish was crunchy and light and done to perfection.

he's located at Guadalupe Victoria #82. Turn south on Aldama, turn right at the first street and he's down 3 o 4 buildings on the left!

Can't wait to go back

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fish & chips are good as is the clam chowder. The only downside was that the onion rings retained a bit too much grease. The fish is Tilapia. Likely to have been farm raised ( environmentally friendly), with little mercury since they are herbivores, but they are also low in beneficial omega 3 oils. Perry used to run a fish and chips restaurant in Bucerias ( Northern Vallarta ). Definitely worth trying the chowder as well as the Fish and chips.

We're unlikely to get anything other than inexpensive types of fish at most places, and the lack of Omega 3 in one order isn't going to change my life, lol. What will change my life is another option for getting good fish and chips, so I'll be checking out Perry's today.

My girlfriend is British and says the heavily-battered fish she's had around here is quite unlike the fish'n'chips back home in England. And not just because it doesn't come with peas (unless you go to Magana's...). She also points out she can't remember the last time it came in newspaper; these days it's in brown packing paper, like the butchery.

OK, I admit that it was the '60's when i experienced the newspaper wrapped, vinegar drenched Fish 'N Chips in London Yes, I remember some of that decade!. I have been searching for this since. This place is close. 2 large pieces of perfectly cooked fish with a light crispy coating, I remember the London fish being a little more flaky...most likely North Atlantic cod (i understand that this once plentiful species is endangered now). I don't know what fish Perry's has but will ask the next time there. The chips were good and crispy and there was also a couple of well done onion rings included. I had the take out and it remained hot all the way home to San Antonio. I will be back! Maybe it was the printers ink from the newspaper that gives Old London the slight edge.

Ate at Perry's on Saturday. Clam chowder was just fine. Fish was very tasty, onion rings were dandy. Chips are hand-cut and properly fried. We were the last customers at 7:15, so while I might add that everything ended up being pretty greasy, I'd also venture to guess that they probably had to turn on the oil again when we got there. And trying to rush all those fried and battered items is not easy.

His fresh coleslaw needs something to kick it up, but it was one of the nicer ones I've had here. And the same with the homemade tartar sauce. Perry's a very nice fellow on first meeting, but I should tell him to put on a clean shirt. Looks like he lives on the beach. Maybe that's the way they do it in Bucerias because of the heat.

Because it was the end of the day and he was short on clam chowder (we both ordered it, but he only had enough for one small bowl), he comped us that, which I though was very pleasant of him.

We had a late lunch there today and found it to be as good as Rick said. We asked what hrs were going to be and he said he has been closed the last two Sundays because he was worn out. He's looking to hire a server, so if you know someone bilingual, send them his way. He said during high season, he will probably be closed Wednesdays.

Anyway, the fish was good, the o rings were great and the fries as well. We will go back in a week or two.

We also gave it a try and thought it excellent as well as inexpensive. One serving had 3 pieces of fish, too much for me. Piping hot, crunchy, not over- (or under-) battered, good chips and onion rings. Real malt vinegar (I am SO sick of getting balsamic here for chips!) Also tried the chili and thought it was great.

The only thing that bugged me was the snotty server. Perry himself is very friendly and no, I didn't notice his shirt.

When we arrived, there was a sign on the street out front. The snotty server did not want to move it. No other parking on that street. Finally Perry came out and it got moved.

So a couple of things here: one, obviously the server was hoping no one else would come at that hour and he wanted to go home, so he figured if he didn't move the sign, we would leave. Two, shops put out signs not to block people, but to "reserve" space for their customers. Third, if the shop owns the space out front, it is painted yellow with a license number on it. Fourth, any owner who wouldn't let a customer park there is not thinking straight.

This is the kind of crap that keeps customers away in droves.

Perry ended up being our server and he was as friendly as he should have been. Did not see the server again until it was time to leave. So I hope Perry kept the tip for himself.

I wasn't going to mention the bucket episode, we had one too. Only tránsitos have the right to mark off or give permission for people to reserve space on the streets, all over Jalisco. The buckets are not legal.

So we moved it. A fellow came along and told us off, said his friend wanted to park there so we moved back and he squeezed in but we were blocking the restaurant entrance (it was nearly closing time). Maybe the server is a relative or friend also.

The thing to be careful of when moving buckets is to be nearby or someone might key your car.

None of this has any effect on the good food, just has to be borne in mind if you go by car.

That stretch of road is notorious for people putting out buckets and chairs. Just near Perry's is a woman who sells crunchies and hot sauce, and there are two other places beside her, who all put buckets out. I understand the lack of parking, but this applies to everyone. I gave up getting miffed and moving buckets for exactly the reason Canamex says: getting keyed. This reaction to bucket parking shows a complete lack of integrity, but, ni modo.

I wasn't going to mention the bucket episode, we had one too. Only tránsitos have the right to mark off or give permission for people to reserve space on the streets, all over Jalisco. The buckets are not legal.

They aren't legal but they are a well established local custom,when in Rome....

Archived