Chapala.com Webboard

Min Wah for dinner

Mainecoons

After moving our Sunday breakfast group to Min Wah and being very satisfied with the results, Four of us had dinner there last night. We ordered four different entres, chicken, beef, pork and seafood plus had the hot and sour soup and egg rolls.

You would never confuse this with the great Chinese food you get on the west coast of the U.S. but it certainly is more than adequate considering we're out here in the south boondocks :) . The hot and sour soup and egg roll could hold their own in most places. The entres were well prepared and tasty, spicy but not too hot, the rice was also quite decent. Quantities are generous, we all took food home.

Our meal for two, with a glass of wine and a beer and a generous tip, came to 410 pesos. Next time, we will order less, it was just too much food.

The service, as is true at breakfast, was attentive without being intrusive. The ladies who wait tables are amiable and thorough, service at Min Wah is better than most local restaurants IMO. The dining room is pleasant and spacious and you can also eat outside on the patio if you wish.

Although not like eating Chinese in San Francisco or Seattle, it definitely held its own when compared to a Chinese meal we had in San Miguel. The consensus at our table was that we would return.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm willing to forget my former bad experience and give it another try. I expect to "judge the dog in it's class" and won't be expecting the kind of great Asian food I've had on the U.S. West coast, but I'm really wanting that taste.....so off we'll go one of these days. Thanks for being the tester.

There have been several reviews of Min Wah recently and I feel that Mainecoons is the most accurate. If you are looking for really good ( not great ) chinese food then don't go to Min Wah. However, if you need a chinese food fix they will suffice.

My wife and I have eaten there twice during the past year when the need for chinese food became over whelming. Both times we came away disappointed but did agree that it is the only game in town.

My biggest complaint is that the food is bland and the fried rice is not even close to fried rice which should have bits of vegetables, meat etc. in it. The two times we had it it was simply short grain rice cooked in a vegetable broth.

Regarding the 410 peso price. Working backwards and subtracting a 15 % tip and a reasonable amount for a beer and a glass of wine the tab for the food should have been around 300 pesos which will get you two steak dinners at Bruno's. But, as I said it's the only game in town !

Well put, twelve oaks. But, he also said he'd ordered too much food, so I'm guessing that ordering enough but not too much would bring that down to a better price level. Our usual Chinese food fix is an order of potstickers plus each ordering a main dish to share. Sad to hear about that fried rice, too. Bummer. If we go, I'll report back and restrain myself from being too picky. :unsure:

As a Noo Yawker, we've been hesitant to try Mexican Chinese food, unless you count the walk up place at Centro Lago (no comment). We've done Min Wah twice for bkfst, so I suppose I need to take my Noo Yawk butt up there for dinner and take a taste. Yep, this ain't Noo Yawk so I can't expect Pell Street, but gotta give it a try. Let you know.

As a Noo Yawker, we've been hesitant to try Mexican Chinese food, unless you count the walk up place at Centro Lago (no comment). We've done Min Wah twice for bkfst, so I suppose I need to take my Noo Yawk butt up there for dinner and take a taste. Yep, this ain't Noo Yawk so I can't expect Pell Street, but gotta give it a try. Let you know.

Trust me, Nooyawk: It's got to be better than what they're serving at the Centro Lago Mall. Gotta be. I took my west coast butt there and after taking a look, I didn't want a taste and bought a Subwich instead.

FHBoy -- yeah, those effete West Coasters won't know awesome Chinese food till they try New York's! Preferably the Upper West Side. Oh, now I need a fix bad....

What about the Chinese restaurant in Joco? We always eat sushi there so have no idea if their Chinese food is any good.....

Where I was born, there is a Chinese restaurant for... maybe every 10 people, lol. I've eaten tons. The Chinese place at Centro is average for Chinese "junk food". But it's on a stream tray, so the beef starts to get tough, the chicken balls get hard, and so on. Sometimes I just ask them to prepare a fresh batch or something different, and it comes out just fine. The beef/broccoli is properly made with ginger and soy, which is more than I can say for a few of the other places around here.

A number of people tell me Chang's is too expensive and just no better than anybody else. If I ever get to that mall, I'll try it. Meanwhile, I stopped going to Min Wah years ago for the same reason everyone else did. Current comments might suggest it's worth a try again.

P.F. Changs is a franchised restaurant chain: In Mexico the franchise is owned by Alsea SAB: Here's what they also own:

Alsea, S.A.B. de C.V., together with its subsidiaries, primarily engages in operating fast food restaurants, cafeterias, and casual dining units in Mexico and Latin America. The company operates restaurants under various brands, such as Domino’s Pizza, Starbucks, Burger King, Chili’s Grill & Bar, California Pizza Kitchen, P.F Chang’s China Bistro, Pei Wei Asian Diner, Italianni’s, and The Cheesecake Factory. It also engages in food distribution, and factoring and financial leasing activities. As of March 31, 2013, the company operated 1,431 restaurants in Mexico, Argentina, Chile, and Colombia. Alsea, S.A.B. de C.V. is headquartered in Mexico City, Mexico.

The location in GDL is an expensive restaurant in an expensive "high end" mall location catering to people who, for the most part, have probably never had what most Canadians and Americans would call (rightly or wrongly) "authentic" Chinese food. As that's likely the case for many who visit P.F. Changs, then they're probably "wowed" eating something that they've never had before.

Look, you guys need to hire a bus to bring you over here to the Distrito Federal. I have managed to find three really good Chinese restaurants here: one is Taiwanese, one is Beijing, and one is Hong Kong. You come on over and we'll have a stupendous Chinese meal, including excellent steamed dumplings, the best dry-fried green beans I've ever eaten, salt-and-pepper shrimp (the real deal), and as many other honest-to-god wonderful dishes as you can fit in your poor lonesome stomachs. Come for the weekend and we'll have a meal in each of the three restaurants. Plus I will take you shopping for fresh baby bok choy, Chinese broccoli, and most of the Chinese vegetables and staples that you never see in either Guadalajara or at Lake Chapala.

P.F. Changs is a franchised restaurant chain: In Mexico the franchise is owned by Alsea SAB: Here's what they also own:

Alsea, S.A.B. de C.V., together with its subsidiaries, primarily engages in operating fast food restaurants, cafeterias, and casual dining units in Mexico and Latin America. The company operates restaurants under various brands, such as Domino’s Pizza, Starbucks, Burger King, Chili’s Grill & Bar, California Pizza Kitchen, P.F Chang’s China Bistro, Pei Wei Asian Diner, Italianni’s, and The Cheesecake Factory. It also engages in food distribution, and factoring and financial leasing activities. As of March 31, 2013, the company operated 1,431 restaurants in Mexico, Argentina, Chile, and Colombia. Alsea, S.A.B. de C.V. is headquartered in Mexico City, Mexico.

The location in GDL is an expensive restaurant in an expensive "high end" mall location catering to people who, for the most part, have probably never had what most Canadians and Americans would call (rightly or wrongly) "authentic" Chinese food. As that's likely the case for many who visit P.F. Changs, then they're probably "wowed" eating something that they've never had before.

Having eaten there yesterday, we would say that it was mediocre. We were expecting the wonderful taste of Asian food from our times in Vermont. This was not it. We paid 1,100 pesos for five meals and soft drinks. We did take a little home, but not like we would have at our NOB favorites.

The mall is lovely and the restaurant is very nicely put together. But ... we'll eat in Joco for a whole lot less and just as adequate of food.

C and G

Archived