Chapala.com Webboard

HOT ROD BURRITO EXPRESS

kindred

Sunday we needed a fast meal before the movie and ate at Hot Rod Burrito Express, located on the second floor of Bugambilias at the back right hand side of the theater lobby. We had the green chili burritos which were monstrous and the best Mexican food

I may have ever eaten. The portions are huge and are priced between 39 pesos and 45 pesos. They have 10 varieties of burritos, 6

kinds of enchiladas, 8 kinds of chimichangas and 5 kinds of nachos as well as combination plates,tostadas and salads. The owner, Jorge Ornelas, has moved back to Mexico after 23 years of working in restaurants in the states, including 3 of his own. He also does catering and delivers!!! His phone is 376 766 5890 or cellphone is 33-12-39-28-34. Drop in and try it. Easy to forget as you can't see him from the street, but believe me, it is well-worth the climb.

I haven't posted on this site for a long time, but had to comment on our experience Friday. We stopped in for a quick take-out chicken burrito and were pleasantly surprised. We weren't very hungry so we only ordered one and when we got home and opened the box we couldn't believe our eyes; it was gigantic! We cut it in half and neither one of us could finish our half. If you like your burritos plain, dry, chewy and flavorless, don't go there. They make a concoction full of so many things I lost count. Tons of chicken, and it's garnished with a sauce, fresh veggies, guacamole, and a side of chips and picante salsa. They claim to be Tex Mex and I would say I agree with that to a point, but because it was so unique I'm not sure you can put it into one category. We will be back, hopefully a lot hungrier next time.

I highly recommend Jorge. Plus, he is just one of the nicest guys. You get so much more than you pay for. He's always willing to make a burrito "your way" as well. Please do patronize him as I would hate to lose my fav burro joint.

He is only closed the second Monday of each month. The premises aren't the best but the foods is!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, folks, you MUST try this place! The quality of Jorge's food is excellent, quantities are voluminous, and even his presentation of a dish way exceeds what you might expect at a little restaurant like this.

We each had the shredded beef burrito (carne deshebrada), with crema and guacamole, priced at 39 pesos. The beef he uses is slow cooked with seasonings and is the absolutely BEST shredded beef I've ever consumed in a Mexican restaurant anywhere.

In addition to our plato principal, he served us totopos with two types of salsa while we waited on our burritos to be prepared and then gave us a little something dulce for dessert: some cinnamon sugared fried tortilla pieces with our choice of chocolate syrup or honey on top. His plan is to purchase a freezer soon so that he can serve these with ice cream.

Our stomachs were full when we left, but still I brought home 60% of my burrito and my husband brought home half of his. La cuenta: 120 pesos for the two burritos and two Coca Cola Lights.

We had our first burrito today .... could not believe that it was really so big that you couldn't eat it all. Husband went to pick two of them up and we wound up having them for lunch and dinner! They were great. Thank you for recommending. They have several many other choices besides burritos also which we will try in the days to come.

We went there tonight with another couple. 3 of us ordered burritos and the third got the enchilada trio. Not one of us could finish the food we were given and it was all absolutely scrumptious. Don't really want o recommend this place as it will then get really busy and we will have to wait forever to get our food. lol Just kidding. Seriously, give them a try the price and the food are well worth it!

Archived