#1 hensley

hensley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, volleyball, and making jewelry

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Gosh we haven't been to the movies in a while and went and saw Rock of Ages at the Del Lago Cinemas by El Torito Grocery. If you like Rock n Roll this is a good movie, lots of great music.

The only problem is the Guad Reporter said everyday at 12pm well they don't open until 3:30pm. $20p per person. We also got the $40p special a decent size popcorn, soda and a popsicle.

Oh and the bathrooms were spotless!

Have fun go out and make it a date day and see a movie!!

Oh since it wasn't open at 12pm we had lunch at the Boston Deli, it was also good.
Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. Victor Borge.

Julie
Wayne

#2 hkrause

hkrause

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Interests:Computers, cats, travel, learning, photography

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Been wondering about movie theaters here. Are the movies in English or Spanish? BTW, I agree about the bathrooms there... very clean and well stocked!

#3 elehne1

elehne1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

My husband and I enjoy going to the movies whether at the movies across from Walmart in the mall or by El Torito. Great way to enjoy the afternoon! The movie theaters show movies in English with Spanish subtitles at different times. Some movies are Spanish only. Check at the theater for your preference.

#4 eagles100

eagles100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Gosh we haven't been to the movies in a while and went and saw Rock of Ages at the Del Lago Cinemas by El Torito Grocery. If you like Rock n Roll this is a good movie, lots of great music.

I sure hope Rock of Ages will still be on in October when we come down; I wanted to see it here in Canada but missed it.
In what township is the Del Lago Cinemas?

#5 hensley

hensley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, volleyball, and making jewelry

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

Ajijic they usually only run 2 weeks and this is the second week.
Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. Victor Borge.

Julie
Wayne

#6 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

... except for the odd movie... "The Five Year Engagement", a throwaway piece of fluff, is in it's fifth week at MovieSpace...

#7 carib

carib

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

I sure hope Rock of Ages will still be on in October when we come down; I wanted to see it here in Canada but missed it.
In what township is the Del Lago Cinemas?

They usually changed movies every 2 weeks but if the showing attracts lots of moviegoers they may keep it longer. The movie theater is in Ajijic.

#8 elehne1

elehne1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

The link to the movie theaters in the area:
http://www.mscinemas.com
http://cinemasdellago.mx

#9 ChrisB

ChrisB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Interests:Gardening-Orchids, Dogs, Reading, Gourmet cooking, travel

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

When you consider that going to a movie NOB is about a $25.00 investment for two it is amazing what a bargain it is here!! Most of the times the theater has about 15 people in it. A great way to cool off in April or May!!

#10 Jeanette

Jeanette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

Chris, I don't know what NOB theater you've been going to. We go to the movies about twice a week. In both phoenix and raleigh, we find "dollar" theaters where admission for adults is $2-$2. 5 for all showing. For matinees at "regular " theaters, the prices run $5.50-$6. 50. Senior citizens get the matinee prices in the evenings, too.

3-D and IMAX do charge higher prices, as I'm sure is true in GDL.

The popcorn prices? Yeah, they are outrageous!

#11 Tony_In_Mexico

Tony_In_Mexico

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

Concession prices are much cheaper here, as you might imagine. I prefer MovieSpace (across from Walmart) to the Cineme Del Lago, if only because there is a Subway at the mall there, and it's a nice treat for me. Stadium seating, just like in the states. As I understand it, MovieSpace is half price on Wednesdays. I had planned on seeing Rock of Ages today, but they just released the new Bourne movie, so I'm torn. I'll be there today one way or another. In fact, if anyone near Chapala wants to go, maybe we could carpool. The taxi there and back is always the most expensive part of a movie outing for me.

#12 gogirl

gogirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, volunteering, taking care of my 2 cats & no more Egyptian hairless rats, some golf, lunch with friends & happy hour.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

We were paying up to $11 dollars EACH for movies tickets on Long Island, New York. Jeanette, I guess Phoenix and Raleigh haven't caught up yet. That's good for you. :)

#13 Jeanette

Jeanette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

We were paying up to $11 dollars EACH for movies tickets on Long Island, New York. Jeanette, I guess Phoenix and Raleigh haven't caught up yet. That's good for you. :)

That's why we go to the matinee's or the cheapy movie theaters (or do senior citizen tickets)

#14 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

In Ottawa, the movies are back up to $12 bucks a pop. There are a couple of theatres that run movies after they leave the main distributors, and they charge five bucks or something. But if you want to see a first-run, you pays da price. And of course popcorn and a drink are priced pretty comparably to a steak dinner somewhere... when I was divorced and taking my two kids to the movies, it would cost me about $60.

#15 dancing queen

dancing queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Saw both Rock of Ages and Bourne Legacy....both well done for their genre. The opening scenes in BL are stupendous and the singing and music in ROA is terrific.

I prefer theater #2 in Del Lago as I find the theaters in Centro Laguna really loud so that you get two pictures for the price of one if you are sitting next to a theater playing a loud movie. #2 at Del Lago has great seats in the middle where you can put your feet up on the horizontal bar.

#16 Tony_In_Mexico

Tony_In_Mexico

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

I prefer theater #2 in Del Lago as I find the theaters in Centro Laguna really loud so that you get two pictures for the price of one if you are sitting next to a theater playing a loud movie. #2 at Del Lago has great seats in the middle where you can put your feet up on the horizontal bar.

Wanted to provide an update, but also wanted to respond to this by saying that I've been to several movies now at Centro Laguna and never experienced this problem. Went yesterday and saw the new Bourne movie. Not as good as the others imo, but still entertaining. I also wanted to say that I learned that I had been wrong about something. In an earlier post I stated that Wednesdays were half price at Centro Laguna. That's not true. In fact, it's 2 for 1. So if you go to the movies alone, as I do, you're not getting a discount. So find a friend first. Advice I should take to heart.

#17 lindady

lindady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Centro Laguna has some small theaters (too small), requiring me to sit in nearly the back row and I still feel too close to the large screen.
But some people might like that. So I prefer Cinema del Lago for that reason, larger theaters.

#18 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Bourne this week at MovieSpace had the subwoofers cranked so high during the previews that they were cracking up. Then, for the movie, most of the dialogue got so quiet I had to read the subtitles every so often to catch the story. I don't think they've ever trained anyone to handle the equipment properly. At three of the theatres, the light coming out of the projection room is so strong that it makes a big square of light on the screen, which is particularly annoying. I like the place, for the most part, because the seats are good and the screens are large.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users