15 replies to this topic

#1 bostonfrog2012

bostonfrog2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:hiking, traveling in Mexico

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

The last time I was in Costco around 2 months ago, I went with a Mexican friend who already has the membership. When I asked the young guy at the promotional stand for membership, he told me that I had to have an FM2 to take out a membership and that an FM3 was not valid. I did not pursue it wih him, but my experience in the recent past was that an FM3 was enough to get bank account here (I already have one here but never use it from previous employment here), or to get a Walmart, Suburbia, or Fabricas de Francia/Liverpool credit card.
Has the policy changed, or was that incorrect on his part? Who has an FM3 and got membership at Costco?
Michel

#2 MtnMama

MtnMama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

When I got my Mexican membership a couple of years ago, I think I showed them a NOB driver's license, filled out a form and gave them money. I suspect the young man was misinformed.

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."

Friedrich Schiller

#3 datura

datura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

We have FM3's and have Costco membership here. The guy was wrong. I don't remember for sure, but may have just had to show ID. For sure I didn't show them an original FM3, as I don't carry it with me.

#4 johanson

johanson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts
  • Location:Ajijic 8 months per year; I'm in WA and BC the remainder of the time

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

I got a membership with an FM 3 and renew every Nov. Never have been checked for immigration status, you know FM-2 or 3. I might have shown them my Mexican drivers license and I did give them my Mexican email address.

#5 Ferret

Ferret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Unless Costco policy has changed drastically, ANYONE can get membership...even a tourist. You just have to have proper identification of some kind from anywhere.

#6 giltner68

giltner68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

My card is 2 years old on an FM3 and they just renewed it last month.

#7 bostonfrog2012

bostonfrog2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:hiking, traveling in Mexico

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

That's good to hear! I found it surprising that they would actually require an FM2. I also read somewhere else, but not on this forum, about some van that charges people a fee and takes people from the lake to Costco to do some shopping. Or maybe I could go with someone else and share the gas when and if I move down there.
Michel

#8 RVGRINGO

RVGRINGO

RVGRINGO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,644 posts
  • Interests:Life in Chapala and Ajijic.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

This is funny because there are no INM documents labeled FM3 or FM2.
Reaching for your pocket now? Yes, you are required to have your INM document with you.

#9 golden bead

golden bead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

If you go to the States, get one there. Ours accepted here 5 years ago from the States and I just pay on line. No problems.

#10 lakeside101

lakeside101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

cost may be cheaper here...
400p

3 folks share the expense , each have own card.

#11 johanson

johanson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts
  • Location:Ajijic 8 months per year; I'm in WA and BC the remainder of the time

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yes, living up north and here, I used to have a US Costco Card. Because it's cheaper here, I got one here, and I didn't have to show any immigration papers. Yes maybe they checked my Jalisco drivers license and I gave them my Mexican home and email address. And yes I use my Mexican Costco card in the US and/or Canada or where-ever.

#12 Floradude

Floradude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

I renewed mine last Wednesday for the 8th time and it was $450.

#13 bournemouth

bournemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

And you can have another person on the account with you for the 450 pesos. Make it 550 pesos and you can have three cards - get together with friends and share an account.

#14 OasisCloud

OasisCloud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Maybe it was the Costco credit card he was trying to sign you up for? It may require and FM2. Banks like Bancomer that issue "International" CCs will do it on an FM3, but the Walmart CC is not "International" and so they say it requires an FM2. I don't know about the Costco CC, but have had a Costco membership card for many years without showing any visa status.

#15 eagles100

eagles100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

And you can have another person on the account with you for the 450 pesos. Make it 550 pesos and you can have three cards - get together with friends and share an account.

In Canada, if you have another person on your card, they must prove they live at the same address as you. Is it like that in Mexico?

#16 maw7815

maw7815

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

I am on an account with 2 others and we all live at different addresses.
No problema.
maw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users