22 replies to this topic

#1 Malaya

Malaya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Loose Google Translation of a news article.

The Ministry of Roads and Transport will insert order Jalisco Chapala delegation, where Canadians and Americans complain of abuse of office staff and road agents, for the difference in language, says the director of Alien Delegations Ornelas Francisco Morales .

"At first we have both commander and two elements that speak English and we are requesting the training of all elements at least they speak in a basic way so they can give adequate care."

is also committed to investigating the alleged extortion on the part of the road agents to foreigners who require a translator to address them, but calls to the affected and City officials delivered the evidence to punish those responsible.

#2 Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

I think your expectations for positive change should be about zero.

#3 Sheldon

Sheldon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:swimming, sightseeing, the ocean, the mountain, LIFE!
    Silence, party, yoga, cats, dogs...

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Loose Google Translation of a news article.

The Ministry of Roads and Transport will insert order Jalisco Chapala delegation, where Canadians and Americans complain of abuse of office staff and road agents, for the difference in language, says the director of Alien Delegations Ornelas Francisco Morales .

"At first we have both commander and two elements that speak English and we are requesting the training of all elements at least they speak in a basic way so they can give adequate care."

is also committed to investigating the alleged extortion on the part of the road agents to foreigners who require a translator to address them, but calls to the affected and City officials delivered the evidence to punish those responsible.

go on dreaming...this is Mèxico...anyway, let`s have "good expectations" maybe the power of our thought get the change!

#4 Travis

Travis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Malaya, how about a link to the article in Spanish, just for grins. Thanks. ;)

#5 ajijiccharlie

ajijiccharlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

I think this makes us sound either arrogant or incompetent if we can't manage without having the whole department speak English.

#6 Ferret

Ferret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

I think this makes us sound either arrogant or incompetent if we can't manage without having the whole department speak English.

No kidding! The problem isn't language. The problem is the little motorcycle cop who likes intimidating foreigners and padding his wallet.

#7 Malaya

Malaya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

Malaya, how about a link to the article in Spanish, just for grins. Thanks. ;)

http://www.notisiste...icias/?p=495042

#8 Mainecoons

Mainecoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

Jalisco can also let us know when they intend to put a stop to the cop robbers on the new bypass.

#9 Catinmex

Catinmex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

No kidding! The problem isn't language. The problem is the little motorcycle cop who likes intimidating foreigners and padding his wallet.

I agree. I don't see any change with that situation and he speaks English!

#10 More Liana

More Liana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts
  • Interests:Mexico
    Cultures
    Gastronomy
    Language
    Photography
    The Written Word

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

*sigh*
Think about how long it has taken you--just a generic you, nobody in particular--to speak rudimentary Spanish, the 'me Tarzan, you Jane' variety.

So much of this sort of news announcement is a placebo: we like how it sounds, but ultimately it has no effect.

#11 Malaya

Malaya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

That's why I said MAYBE!!

The least you could do Liana is let us have some shred hope.

#12 More Liana

More Liana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts
  • Interests:Mexico
    Cultures
    Gastronomy
    Language
    Photography
    The Written Word

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

That's why I said MAYBE!!

The least you could do Liana is let us have some shred hope.

Honey, I have been around too long and seen too much of this kind of thing to be anything but cynical about it. Sorry.

#13 jrod

jrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Having just read the article in Spanish, it appears that the Tránsito authorities of Jalisco are chalking up the "supposed extortions" (their quotes, not mine) to a language barrier between Americans and Canadians and the Spanish-dominant tránsito officers. The article continues that the comandante and two officers do speak English sufficiently well to communicate, and other officers are being trained to respond in simple English to expats who have traffic issues. MY THOUGHT: since there are at least 3 who do speak English and the article's purpose appears to be to 1) insinuate the problems with tránsito are due to a language barrier (and not shakedowns) and 2) inform us that the tránsitos are learning rudimentary English to resolve the issue they've identified, if you're wrongly stopped, why not ask for "UN TRADUCTOR, POR FAVOR"? You'd then have a bit of a wait (whether that's good or bad is up to you), but you'd have a third party respond to your complaint and be a witness to it. The article then goes on to request that any perceived misdeeds be reported to the tránsito authorities.

Just a thought: If folks were to delay the customary sequence of proceedings by asking for a translator, might that cool the jets of our Officer Bigotes (aka Mr. Moustache)?

PS: Here's the article in Spanish...maybe make a copy of it, point and repeat "UN TRADUCTOR, POR FAVOR". (copy in red refers to English-speaking tránsito officers and to expats who request a translator on their behalf.)

Notisistema Informa

SVyT atenderá quejas de norteamericanos sobre malos tratos de personal de oficina en Chapala

La Secretaría de Vialidad y Transporte de Jalisco meterá orden en la delegación de Chapala, donde los Canadienses y Norteamericanos se quejan de malos tratos del personal de oficina y agentes viales, por la diferencia en el idioma, habla el director de Delegaciones Foráneas Francisco Ornelas Morales.
“De entrada ya tenemos tanto comandante como dos elementos que hablan inglés y estamos solicitando la capacitación del total de los elementos por lo menos a que lo hablen en una forma básica para que puedan dar una atención adecuada”.
También se compromete a investigar las supuestas extorsiones de parte de los agentes viales a los extranjeros a quienes exigen traductor para atenderlos, pero pide a los afectados y funcionarios del Ayuntamiento entreguen las pruebas para sancionar a los responsables. (Por Víctor Montes Rentería)

#14 bdmowers

bdmowers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Appalachian singing, classical music, organic veg gardening, weaving/spinning/dyeing, birding

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Jalisco can also let us know when they intend to put a stop to the cop robbers on the new bypass.

Yeah, 2 of us we were relieved of some of our cash (at least they didn't take it all) by Tonala cops on that road Saturday (mid-day). We talked later with Mex friends in Guad: "Only stupid people use that road." Certainly the last time we will!

#15 halcon

halcon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

time will tell. one can only hope. i don't like cops,never have never will, but it's a cinch that a good
one can make your day, and a bad one could ef up your life. i always fear a rogue cop in this country, to the point that i had a talk with a local attorney. her bottom line was " ultamitley they have to prove it, just make sure your papers are always in order".

#16 Mainecoons

Mainecoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, 2 of us we were relieved of some of our cash (at least they didn't take it all) by Tonala cops on that road Saturday (mid-day). We talked later with Mex friends in Guad: "Only stupid people use that road." Certainly the last time we will!

This has happened a lot. I think it is the Tonala cops. What was their excuse for stopping you? Looking for guns?

#17 bdmowers

bdmowers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Appalachian singing, classical music, organic veg gardening, weaving/spinning/dyeing, birding

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

I know it was the Tonala cops because we called the state police with the car number and they said it was a Tonala car. They gave no excuse for stopping us. They stopped us, asked us where we were from then demanded we get out of the car, one by one. Being totally new at this, we complied. One by one, they asked us if we had guns and if we did drugs, then they patted us down and one guy pretending to rummage through one pockets, they other getting money from the other pocket, turning away a bit, taking some money then giving the rest back. We didn't know anything had happened until we checked our pockets later and checked stories. They didn't look thru the car at all.

#18 Mainecoons

Mainecoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Yep, that's the MO of the guys who have been dong this. The fake gun and drug search. Have you reported to the State Police that you were robbed by the occupants of this car?

#19 bdmowers

bdmowers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Yep, that's the MO of the guys who have been dong this. The fake gun and drug search. Have you reported to the State Police that you were robbed by the occupants of this car?

I was mistaken about reporting to state police, actually we reported to Chapala police who said it was a Tonala car. Chapala police said to report to the Tonala police anonymously we'd have to call Tonala police, ask for the anon # then call from an anon phone number. I doubt there would be a point reporting to the Tonala police that one of their patrols is robbing citizens. Do the state police have jurisdiction over municipal police?

#20 El Toro Furioso

El Toro Furioso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Just tell him, Deme el folio, and he'll either go away or give you a ticket that, if you pay within four or five days, will end up being a lot less than the mordida he's looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users