• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 redpepper

redpepper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

@Gilnert68 I will almost bet you will be happy come June 1st, looks like it will be 14+ by then. Today it's 1.00 USD = 13.9818 MXN

#42 giltner68

giltner68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

I hope you're right, but I have a heck of a solid track record.

#43 redpepper

redpepper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Here ya go Giltner68 1.00 USD = 14.0133 MXN
if it can just hold out until a week from Friday.

#44 redpepper

redpepper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Might have to eat crow, there is rumor of war against Iran dropped below 14. Now watch oil go up.

#45 Ajijic

Ajijic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts
  • Interests:Nationalizing NAFTA and non-NAFTA cars without leaving home.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

That's OK redpepper as when oil goes up so does the C$. So for some of us, hooray.

Nationalizing NAFTA and non-NAFTA made cars without leaving your home regardless of where you live in Mexico. Full refund if documents do not arrive.

#46 giltner68

giltner68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

"Here ya go Giltner68 1.00 USD = 14.0133 MXN if it can just hold out until a week from Friday."

Just watch it drop, it will probably be Tues June 5th when I pay rent and put the check in the bank, it's already down to 13.94, I've got a talent.

#47 elbelgicano

elbelgicano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Interests:being from Belgium, moved here first in 1998, making Belgian chocolate,--- my Mexican miniature Schnauzer, Virginia ... food, languages and culture, volunteering ....
    Making Belgian chocolates --->
    http://chocochef.blogspot.com/
    My (no charge, as a service to community) employment project :
    http://vivachapala.blogspot.mx/

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

And since yesterday, a very new development that might influence the value of the peso big time.
In a recent survey, AMLO appears to have a good chance now to become president of Mexico, something that nobody would have predicted a couple of months ago. That is definetly changing the value of the peso and if his chances remain high and he actually becomes president, you will see a a very important drop in its value (peso).
Something to follow up !!

#48 Ajijic

Ajijic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts
  • Interests:Nationalizing NAFTA and non-NAFTA cars without leaving home.

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Everything happening right now is to do with the strength of the US$ as a safe haven. Even the C$ is down 5% in a month just as is the MXN pesos approx is down but that makes Canadian businesses very happy.

Polls in Mexico are highly skewed and the election is a month away.

Nationalizing NAFTA and non-NAFTA made cars without leaving your home regardless of where you live in Mexico. Full refund if documents do not arrive.

#49 elbelgicano

elbelgicano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Interests:being from Belgium, moved here first in 1998, making Belgian chocolate,--- my Mexican miniature Schnauzer, Virginia ... food, languages and culture, volunteering ....

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

No, Ajijic, not anymore. You were right until 2 days ago.... Now, that is only part (Europe debt crisis) of the story.
From now on you have to watch the AMLO candidate. The markets don´t like a "left" president. This has become an internal (Mexican) affair. Very interesting times.

#50 Jrk

Jrk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

Maybe some of you should look at the Mexican central bank policy on supporting the peso! That is why the peso has been dropping from 14.60 at 5 am to its current 14.27! And Mr know-it-all the lack of participation in the stock market is not the reason for the fall of the peso but rather the fear factor of the unknown which is driving investors to US bonds and GERMAN bunds!!!

#51 redpepper

redpepper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

I don't know who you are calling Mr know-it-all, (surely no one on this subject;) but I would rather have my money right now in US bonds than Germany Bunds any day. BTW what is Bunds is that like bread?

As of 4:50 pm

1.00 USD = 14.3092 MXN

#52 Jrk

Jrk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Why would you invest in either? Buy high and sell low??? And, with the current yield of either you would just lose based on current rate of CPI. Have you thought of alternatives? Corporates, high yields, municipals, zero coupons, etc.?

#53 elbelgicano

elbelgicano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Maybe some of you should look at the Mexican central bank policy on supporting the peso! That is why the peso has been dropping from 14.60 at 5 am to its current 14.27! And Mr know-it-all the lack of participation in the stock market is not the reason for the fall of the peso but rather the fear factor of the unknown which is driving investors to US bonds and GERMAN bunds!!!

Old news and only partially thrue, my friend. You need to get your facts updated....the world changes every minute,.... talking about a Mr know-it-all....

#54 tp2168

tp2168

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

Mexico after the elections

What awaits Mexico if the PRI sweeps the July 1 elections?

http://www.latinbusi...le.aspx?id=5690

#55 tp2168

tp2168

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

This afternoon around 3 pm, currencies trade quote from yahoo.

USD/CAD +0.72% to 1.040
USD/BRL +1.10% to 2.045
AUD/USD -0.42% to 0.968

USD/MXN -0.46% to 14.28

#56 Ajijic_hiker

Ajijic_hiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

http://www.businessw...ador-gets-boost

#57 papirex

papirex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Wife, family, dogs, staying alive

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

The value of a Mexican Peso is not fixed, it “floats”. 3 or 4 years ago it dropped to about 14 to The US Dollar too. It stayed there for about a week or two, just in time to save me a bunch of money on a new, wide screen, flat panel TV. Local prices also rose about 12 % too. The Peso dropped back to between 7 and 8 to The US Dollar in a couple of weeks, but local prices were not lowered.

This too will pass.

Most real estate prices are in Pesos here in the central highlands. Anytime you see a property priced in US Dollars, you know it is overpriced. When you have lived here for a while, you will learn that “patience is its' own reward”.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved." - Vicctor Hugo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users