81 replies to this topic

#21 Tingting

Tingting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

I'm really sorry to hear that this place hasn't learned from the mistakes of the one it replaced.

When I pick up Chinese "fast food," it doesn´t take a lot to please me. My two biggest gripes are meat bits that are pure gristle or bone and come from some questionable part of the animal and food that´s barely tepid.

I would willingly pay a bit more if it meant that they´d turn on the heat lamps and toss the gristle out. I hate (with a passion) to cook, so I don´t demand a lot of my food, but it does have to be edible.

#22 gringal

gringal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm really sorry to hear that this place hasn't learned from the mistakes of the one it replaced. When I pick up Chinese "fast food," it doesn´t take a lot to please me. My two biggest gripes are meat bits that are pure gristle or bone and come from some questionable part of the animal and food that´s barely tepid. I would willingly pay a bit more if it meant that they´d turn on the heat lamps and toss the gristle out. I hate (with a passion) to cook, so I don´t demand a lot of my food, but it does have to be edible.

I'd GLADLY pay more for better Chinese fast or slow food. I'm picky but no cheapskate. Chomping down on more than one gristly piece spoils my interest in the dish. The plates come with fried rice, but what that means is that plain rice has a load of soy sauce added and is fried. For an example of what the chicken pieces ought to look like: Yves' taco salad with chicken has a selection of tiny squares of white meat chicken, all tender and tasty, topping a mixture of lettuce, shredded carrots, tomatoes and guacamole with a delicious sauce and crema on the side. 75 pesos and very well worth it. For a positive experience I'm glad to plug.....go try it!

#23 Flowers

Flowers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

We are trying to give others on the board the truth so they don't waste their money. Nothing harsh about it.
This Chinese restaurant just doesn't make the cut, but I would have been delighted to have had a good experience to report instead.

Fair enough - will get used to it soon enough - guess I should appreciate knowing where not to waste my money - so thank you!

#24 jarmen01

jarmen01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

The best Chinese food I've eaten lakeside is in Jocotopec, The Red Dragon. Might I say that when a restaurant first opens they sometimes need to work out the kinks, line up the proper suppliers and learn what it is their clients expect and desire. Give them a month and I'd try them again. I'ts my opinion having been on both sides of the kitchen. Salud!

#25 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

Shira, you know I respect your opinions. But this is exactly the same Chinese take out place it's always been. Same name, same signs, same Asian girl speaking Spanish... and same food. Bight some there today; same as always. Not great, but it'll do until the real thing comes along. Joco is much better, but not nearly as easy to get to.

#26 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

By the way, having lots of experience cooking Chinese food, I can add that there is a distinction between fried rice and chicken fried rice (or shrimp, or beef, etc.). Fried rice is always just a base, and it is plained cooked white rice stir-fried in oil and enhanced with Dark/Mushroom soy (which is super-salty and gives it that distinct brownish colour), and a chopped up beaten egg. After it's stir-fried is when the special ingredients are added, although green peas usually make their way into the dish, along with onions. The chicken or shrimp is added after, so that the dark soy doesn't colour the meat.

#27 gringal

gringal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

There's probably a substantial difference in the learning curve between a fast food counter and a sit-down Chinese restaurant, in that the fast food purveyor probably isn't going to improve over what they started out with, whereas the restaurant owner gets feedback from the customers and strives to make them happier. Just guessing here.

For pretty good faux Chinese, try the Sunday Chinese feed at Roberto's for 85 pesos, including soup. You even get chopsticks and a fortune cookie. It's more or less Cantonese or Hunan style.

#28 Shira

Shira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Helper Guy I was told there was a man cooking and the name was different. I have not been there so can't speak to it.
I was also told that the first one was closing when their lease was up. That would have been a while ago.
Ir is easier to love Mexico than to understand it.

#29 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

First of all, fried rice is a Mexican thing. I've been in Chinese restaurants all over: various places in the US; in Germany east and west; Chinatown in Singapore and Bangkok; most recently Chengdu and Beijing;and even such unlikely places as Istanbul (that one was really good) and Bergen (not great, but much better than here). When rice was served with the meal, it was white rice. In China everything is ala carte so if you want rice or noodles, you have to order it extra.

Thank you for posting your experience and warning us about their food.

I'm at a loss to understand why we can't have one decent Chinese restaurant here. If they had some American/European dishes along with the Chinese dishes, that would give something to offer everyone, so that one could have American/European and the other could have their Chinese. This is how my mother and I used to get my father to go with us to the local Tex-Mex restaurant. He wouldn't eat Tex-Mex, but liked their oysters and fried chicken, so he didn't mind going.

#30 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

First of all, fried rice is a Mexican thing. I've been in Chinese restaurants all over: various places in the US; in Germany east and west; Chinatown in Singapore and Bangkok; most recently Chengdu and Beijing;and even such unlikely places as Istanbul (that one was really good) and Bergen (not great, but much better than here). When rice was served with the meal, it was white rice. In China everything is ala carte so if you want rice or noodles, you have to order it extra.

This seems to be my day for doffing my hat to those I respect on this board, only to diss them in the end. Fried rice may be popular here, but it definitely is an Asian dish. All over the Weeb, you'll find references like this: "While the exact origins of fried rice are lost to history, it’s believed that it was invented sometime during the Sui dynasty (589 – 618 AD), in the city of Yangzhou in eastern Jiangsu province. Yangchow (Yangzhou) Fried Rice is still the standard by which all other Chinese fried rice dishes are judged: morsels of fluffy rice tossed with roast pork, prawns, scallions and peas. In American-Chinese restaurants you’ll sometimes find it called "special fried rice."

But of course fried rice is not a staple: it has become a specialty; it appears to have started like stews and soups did: something to make out of leftovers. And peasant-based.

Helper Guy I was told there was a man cooking and the name was different. I have not been there so can't speak to it.
I was also told that the first one was closing when their lease was up. That would have been a while ago.

The times I've been there, they've usually had one or two guys doing the cooking. And yes, I think we all heard that both this place and the Fajita place would close when their leases were up... must be long leases.

#31 hensley

hensley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, volleyball, and making jewelry

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

The best Chinese food I've eaten lakeside is in Jocotopec, The Red Dragon. Might I say that when a restaurant first opens they sometimes need to work out the kinks, line up the proper suppliers and learn what it is their clients expect and desire. Give them a month and I'd try them again. I'ts my opinion having been on both sides of the kitchen. Salud!

Red Dragon? Where is this? We eat at the China Inn in Joco, I didn't know there was another one.
Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. Victor Borge.

Julie
Wayne

#32 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Mike, I didn't mean to imply that fried rice isn't Chinese, but that serving it with entrees like they do here is a Mexican thing since Chinese restaurants elsewhere usually serve white rice with entrees (unless everything is ala carte like in China). I personally prefer fried noodles to fried rice anyway and frequently make that at home. When I use rice, I just have white rice; I've never made Chinese fried rice.

#33 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Mike, I didn't mean to imply that fried rice isn't Chinese, but that serving it with entrees like they do here is a Mexican thing since Chinese restaurants elsewhere usually serve white rice with entrees (unless everything is ala carte like in China). I personally prefer fried noodles to fried rice anyway and frequently make that at home. When I use rice, I just have white rice; I've never made Chinese fried rice.

Ah, so.

#34 Betsy

Betsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Ah, so.

That would be a great screen name...

#35 cedros

cedros

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, plants, birds, dogs, the Lake, archeology,construction.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

I tried the Chinese restaurant in the mall today. I asked the girl if it had changed and she said no-the same as before. The food seemed the same as before-tasty.

#36 Spinner

Spinner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

loved the lesson on fried rice, very interesting!!!

#37 slainte39

slainte39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

Now tell us about flied lice...oops :unsure:

#38 lardca

lardca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

Now tell us about flied lice...oops :unsure:

OOPS is right!
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener

#39 hairysilver

hairysilver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Eating there is better than taking a laxative...Loosens u up....once there was enough---

#40 The 2 Whitakers

The 2 Whitakers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

We are here for just a couple months and Asian food is one of our favs, is this place still open and where exactly in Jocotopec is it? ....and would anyone know of any others between Lake Chapala dn Jocotopec open and worthy of a visit?

"The best Chinese food I've eaten lakeside is in Jocotopec, The Red Dragon. Might I say that when a restaurant first opens they sometimes need to work out the kinks, line up the proper suppliers and learn what it is their clients expect and desire. Give them a month and I'd try them again. I'ts my opinion having been on both sides of the kitchen. Salud!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users