Mirasol - Electric bills for this billing period (12 Feb/12 Apr)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

What kind of electric bills is everyone getting in Mirasol for this billing period? I got one for $2,330. My neighbor got one for $119. We have the same basic appliances, except that I have a large freezer and a dishwasher. I had an electrician check the wiring and the appliances and it seems that the culprit might be the freezer, but with such a variation between what I got and what my neighbor got, I would be interested to see others' experience with this billing period.

When I was housesitting in my friend's house 2 years ago, the bill was always smaller there than it has been in this house before I got the dishwasher and, later, the freezer, and her house has a swimming pool.

Thank you.

#2 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

That seems insane for the size of your house and what you do. On the other hand, your neighbour's is exceedingly low. Mine has always been high, but I'm renting a place with one of those huge fridges, tons of ceiling fans and so many ceiling lights I can't count them all (I've got many of them unscrewed), plus a pressure and filtration system. So I'm not a good reference point.

#3 Sheldon

Sheldon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:swimming, sightseeing, the ocean, the mountain, LIFE!
    Silence, party, yoga, cats, dogs...

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

When we rented there, we. Used to get refrig freezer, filtration syst for pool, pressure for water, 2 tv working, computer, and used to get a big bill around 1.5. The zone, according with cfe is: DAC this means high cOnsumption domestic, the kwh (kilowatt per hour. )is expensive in Mirasol

#4 johanson

johanson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Location:Ajijic 8 months per year; I'm in WA and BC the remainder of the time

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'm charged at the same rates you are in Mirasol. If I don't use too much power supplied by CFE my bill per unit charge for electricity is less than 1 peso per KWH. If I use a lot of power per billing period I loose my government subsidy and pay over $4 pesos per KWH. I received a government subsidy this period and my bill was only $81 pesos.

How do I keep my rates down? I use a "Kill-a-Watt" meter to measure how much each item uses, and then to insure I am charged at the lower rates (use an average of less than 3,000 KWH per year) I can either not use those items consuming too much power or generate some of the excess power myself using say, photovoltaic panels.

To learn more look at some of the earlier articles written here on the subject or in say the Tech Talk columns of Guadalajara Reporter.

Good luck. You can do it.

#5 Atlas

Atlas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

What kind of electric bills is everyone getting in Mirasol for this billing period? I got one for $2,330. My neighbor got one for $119. We have the same basic appliances, except that I have a large freezer and a dishwasher. I had an electrician check the wiring and the appliances and it seems that the culprit might be the freezer, but with such a variation between what I got and what my neighbor got, I would be interested to see others' experience with this billing period.

When I was housesitting in my friend's house 2 years ago, the bill was always smaller there than it has been in this house before I got the dishwasher and, later, the freezer, and her house has a swimming pool.

Thank you.

What have your previous bills been? Check your bill(s) to be sure they weren't estimated.

#6 border crosser

border crosser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Just got off E-Bay looking at "Kill a Watt" meters. They can be bought for 20 bucks or so plus shipping. The only question I have is that they have this disclaimer 110v Model. Suitable for use in the USA and Canada only. Does this mean they will not work here in Mexico? The model is 4400.

#7 mpb

mpb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Just got off E-Bay looking at "Kill a Watt" meters. They can be bought for 20 bucks or so plus shipping. The only question I have is that they have this disclaimer 110v Model. Suitable for use in the USA and Canada only. Does this mean they will not work here in Mexico? The model is 4400.

They are probably indicating that their equipment works on 120v, 60hertz, unlike Europe that operates on 220v 50hertz. As long as you protect them with high/low voltage spikes, they will work here in Mexico just fine.

#8 Griffin

Griffin

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

You can buy one on MercadoLibre if you don't have someone to bring it down. The price is probably less on MercadoLibre if you have to pay duty, shipping and tax to get if from EBay.

http://listado.merca....mx/Kill-a-Watt
Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James 

#9 Griffin

Griffin

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thank you.

I have a 20 cu. ft. freezer, washer that is used several times a week, pressure pump, garage door opener and all other appliances possible. My electric runs about $600 MX a bill, a little over 300 kWh a bill.

You need to unplug everything and look at your meter to see if it is still running. If it is still running that could explain why your neighbor's bill is so low. I had a neighbor tapped into my electric meter and when CFE came by and cut his line to my meter, he got mad that CFE didn't discuss it with him first. He blamed me for part of his electric being off. Yep, he was stealing my electric, making me pay for his electric for months and I was the bad guy because his theft was cut off.
Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James 

#10 giltner68

giltner68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Kill A Watts work just fine here, mine is plugged in 24/7 just to monitor voltage when I'm not specifically running a long term test. When something new comes in the casa, it goes on the meter first thing to get a baseline. I am currently a bit annoyed, I hate CFL's, but they've forced us to use them and I have some outside lights where I use the small 5 watt ones, they're perfect, all of a sudden I can't find them anywhere, here or Guad, now they want us to buy 9 watt ones, what happened to "saving" the world?

#11 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Giltner, what are CFLs? Are they those ugly spiral light bulbs that don't put out much light?

#12 hensley

hensley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, volleyball, and making jewelry

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

Take a picture of your meter and go to CFE and have them correct it. We are 2 people with all the regular stuff and ours was $385p usually $400p - $600p every 2 months. We have had high and lows and they have fixed it and then you go to the window and pay the amount they write on a piece of paper and then everything is ok for a while.
Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. Victor Borge.

Julie
Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users