35 replies to this topic

#1 Ferret

Ferret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

Is the construction finished and is the kitchen store in Chapala open now?
I'm talking about the Kitchen Store on the main road on the south side between Lopez Cotilla and Degollado. I don't blame them for being closed during the sidewalk and road construction but I need to buy something in there and every time I've gone lately it's been shuttered down.
Thanks for any updated info.

#2 DaveP

DaveP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Is the construction finished and is the kitchen store in Chapala open now?
I'm talking about the Kitchen Store on the main road on the south side between Lopez Cotilla and Degollado. I don't blame them for being closed during the sidewalk and road construction but I need to buy something in there and every time I've gone lately it's been shuttered down.
Thanks for any updated info.

Madero runs north/south. Do you mean the east or the west side?

Dave

#3 Ferret

Ferret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

Guess it would be the east side then...if one assumes that Hidalgo runs east/west. It's the same side as the covered municipal market
Anyhoo, it's the side of the road that they are now working on (because the other side has already been done).

#4 Ferret

Ferret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Panic is over. They were open today at 10:15...a little dusty but doing business. The name of the store is El Gallo.

#5 lakeheron

lakeheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

What kinds of kitchen things do they carry?

#6 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

What kinds of kitchen things do they carry?

I was wondering the same thing. I might become their best customer if it's kitchen gadgets.

#7 Ferret

Ferret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Pots, pans, coffee makers, blenders, kitchen gadgets (got a steamer basket there), salt and pepper shakers, cutting boards, timers, meat thermometers...worth a look see because there's other "stuff" in there too...neat stuff.

#8 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Uh-oh. This could be dangerous. :o

#9 Wait. What?

Wait. What?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Good quality? Prices? Please say yes.
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.
~~~Dante Aligheri

#10 Ferret

Ferret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

The prices are reasonable and SOME of the product is good quality. Put it this way...yesterday I went to Guadalajara and shopped Costco, Sams, Walmart, Liverpool and Sears and the Home Store...I found what I wanted today in Chapala...a kettle (wasn't going to pay 895 pesos for a regular old whistle kettle at the Home Store), a Moulinex Heliora coffee maker in white, and some fill in pots and pans because I didn't want to pay 3000 pesos for a whole set that was crummy in any of the stores mentioned. We're not talking chef's culinary standard here and I'm frugal but it may be worth a visit.
Check it out.

#11 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

This may be just the kind of kitchen store I've been hoping for around here. You know how hard it is to get a good whistling kettle in Mexico?

#12 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

I find the Home Store expensive. Palacio de Hierro in the Andares Mall has WMF and LeCreuset.

#13 Ferret

Ferret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for the tip on the Andares Mall...haven't been there yet. I love Creuset but the weight of their cookware is too heavy for my wrists. What's WMF please?

#14 giltner68

giltner68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

All I want is a simple pizza cutter, I've looked on/off for 6 months here, Guad, I can't find one in specialty stores etc.

#15 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

After ordering a pizza cutter in from the U.S., naturally I discovered one at SuperLake and another at the five-and-dime in Chapala, 1/2 block up Madero after you pass the mercado going north. Not the best, but useable.

#16 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

Ferret, WMF is one of the best German stainless steel cookware brands. They have 18/10 Cromargan which always looks good. I got some in Germany at the PX when I was there. WMF stands for Wuerttemburgische Metal Fabrik and is from Wuerttemburg in SW Germany (Stuttgart). My late husband was from that area and was very proud that the brand is from there.

LeCreuset is heavy, particularly those big stockpots. Palacio de Hierro has other brands too, but WMF and LeCreuset were the ones I was interested in. They did seem to have some open stock.

If you have a US address, you can order direct from WMF Americas. They do not ship to Mexico.

#17 giltner68

giltner68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

I rarely go to SuperLake and the day I did, they were apparently out. I thought I brought my big blade type with me you just rock across and it cuts. Now, this one has possibilities http://www.amazon.co...35448552&sr=1-3

#18 Ginger

Ginger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

America's Test Kitchen tested all kinds of brands of pizza cutters & the winner was Mario Batali's. Palacio de Hierro has a lot of Mario Batali cookware but I didn't notice if they had the pizza cutter but consider it if you're going to order one from NOB.

#19 joyce

joyce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Then there are the minimalists like me, who just use my kitchen scissors and cut up the darn pizza! I don't get the concept of having a different tool for every little chore in the kitchen. But, as they say, "whatever floats your boat." :D

#20 chartiec

chartiec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

Scissors are such a useful tool in the kitchen!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users