35 replies to this topic

#21 Ferret

Ferret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

I just use my large chopping knife to cut pizza...place it and rock it with my other hand. Never owned a pizza cutter in my life...but there's a first time for everything :)

#22 Atlas

Atlas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

My Italian grandmother used the largest pair of scissors I've ever seen!

#23 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

I rarely go to SuperLake and the day I did, they were apparently out. I thought I brought my big blade type with me you just rock across and it cuts. Now, this one has possibilities http://www.amazon.co...35448552&sr=1-3

Absolutely hilarious. I must have one.

#24 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

When I first arrived here, I went crazy eating shrimp. And I went crazy looking for shrimp-peelers. The guy who owned Tomas' Bar in Chapala at the time brought one down for me, and through various means I ended up with three. I loved it for a little while... the I discovered that in Mexico, shrimp are usually cooked shell-on in the sauces, and a peeler is totally unnecessary. Later, I also decided that boil-n-peel shrimp is more fun when you have to peel, because it also prevents you from gorging yourself. But I won't give up those tools yet...

#25 maryanram

maryanram

• Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:cooking,gardening,travel

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Love scissors in the kitchen.I now own 2 pairs of heavy duty, one for cutting chichen/meat and the other everything else.

#26 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Okay, so I went looking for this place today. It's not a kitchen store, it's what we call the 5'n'Dime, and it's been there forever, no name on it. Lots of plastics out front, lots of dollar-store stuff inside, and a fairly good collection of pots, pans, blenders, toasters and the like, along with some pillows, cheap radios, etc. He still has no idea what a good whistling kettle looks like, though.

#27 Ellie

Ellie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Okay, so I went looking for this place today. It's not a kitchen store, it's what we call the 5'n'Dime, and it's been there forever, no name on it. Lots of plastics out front, lots of dollar-store stuff inside, and a fairly good collection of pots, pans, blenders, toasters and the like, along with some pillows, cheap radios, etc. He still has no idea what a good whistling kettle looks like, though.

Thanks Mike - I was wondering where this new wonderful store was - it's been here for almost 15 years that I know of and we used to call it the mini WalMart.

#28 giltner68

giltner68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have kitchen "utility" scissors and they go through the diswasher when appropriate, but none-the-less the thought of cutting pizza after some of the things I've cut with them just doesn't seem palatable. I did come across what appears to be a MXN surplus military machete the other day in the bodega, I gave it a second look, they use them for everything else, why not pizza? In fact, recently on a trip to Mercado Libertad there is a section with knives of all sizes, shapes and questionable heritage, maybe I need to make another trip.

#29 Wait. What?

Wait. What?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

The prices are reasonable and SOME of the product is good quality. Put it this way...yesterday I went to Guadalajara and shopped Costco, Sams, Walmart, Liverpool and Sears and the Home Store...I found what I wanted today in Chapala...a kettle (wasn't going to pay 895 pesos for a regular old whistle kettle at the Home Store), a Moulinex Heliora coffee maker in white, and some fill in pots and pans because I didn't want to pay 3000 pesos for a whole set that was crummy in any of the stores mentioned. We're not talking chef's culinary standard here and I'm frugal but it may be worth a visit.
Check it out.

Muchas gracias.
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.
~~~Dante Aligheri

#30 Ferret

Ferret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Sorry Helperguy...guess I bought the last good whistling kettle he had.
A five and dime store? SOME stuff yes...but I bought three items and they cost 800 pesos in total. Ya gotta get in there and root around :) that's what makes it fun.

#31 Jeanne B

Jeanne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

When I first came down here with a minimal small car load, I found I really needed an oven thermoneter as I didn't understand the celceiios (sp) temperture coversion. I ordered one through amazon for $7.95. Good deal right? WRONG. $23.00 shipping charge.. I have learned quickly, buy Mexican.

#32 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

Sorry Helperguy...guess I bought the last good whistling kettle he had.
A five and dime store? SOME stuff yes...but I bought three items and they cost 800 pesos in total. Ya gotta get in there and root around :) that's what makes it fun.

I may start another thread on the topic of whistling kettles...

#33 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hey, Mike, why don't you try Barbara's Bazaar? They have lots of kitchen stuff.

#34 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thanks, but I want a new one as a gift for my girlfriend. We drink ALODDA tea.

#35 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

I'm going to Guadalajara next week, Monday and Wednesday. If I go by Praktika in Plaza Mexico or Belle Cuisine on Av. LaPaz, I'll check to see if they have one. Let me know if you have a maximum price.

#36 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

You're a dear. I think $400 pesos tops. I haven't been to Praktika, but I can't imagine Belle Cuisine being in my range. Even their swizzle sticks are expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users