importing supplies for a business

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 indiesmom

indiesmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:family, holistic health and healing, dogs,horses,piano, walks, reading

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

I have a question for those of you that are in business in Mexico. My family and I plan on moving to lakeside very soon, I would like to start a business, after I get the necessary documents to be able to work. I am wondering about ordering supplies form the USA and customs. I will be ordering external and internal use nutritional type supplements. If you have knowledge of this type of importing and the regulations for it, or know some one you can put me in contact with,please send me a personal message.
thank you

#2 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Removed. =sorry, cannot imagine how my post ended up in the wrong place=

#3 Malaya

Malaya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

Helper Guy did you mean that for some other post. This is someone wanting to import nutritional supplements to sell in a store. She's asking about importing vitamins and other such items in bulk.

#4 solajijic

solajijic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts
  • Interests:"..be careful. The line is likely to be very clear after you've crossed it."

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Really, nutritional supplements? Don't count those chickens before they hatch. There are GNCs etc.. around, there is an Amway type distributor hereabouts and several health stores with those items in stock and there are two women who tote things door-to-door like the Fuller Brush men used to do and I think the couple of salons which sell Avon also sell supplements. Not to mention the two physicians in the area who are supplement oriented in their treatments and a guru woman in Chapala who does the supplement thing for whole health.

Of course there is also the thread -
Best vitamins on the lake?

Which lists even more supplement options.

I do hope you have done your market research and that the mexican owed businesses which sell the same type of products will leave you alone.

#5 artsnob

artsnob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

You might have trouble getting work papers and a business licence in that category, as it is something many Mexicans already do...I bring in supplies, no problem, using my business license number on all invoices...

#6 Jeanette

Jeanette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

I'm also going to point out that getting "the necessary documents to work" isn't all that easy. Aren't you moving to Lakeside with kids? I truly hope you've done more research than it sounds like you have...

#7 PV Kids

PV Kids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

There is a saying in Mexico that our gardener taught me: "Si tiene dinero, todo se puede".

#8 Malaya

Malaya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

I think you people didn't read her post correctly...she starting to explore the possibility and is asking for help from those who have a business here. She's beginning her due diligence.

You have to start somewhere and the nasty replies are not at all helpful, unless of course you have business experience here.

#9 Intercasa

Intercasa

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,146 posts
  • Interests:Perito Traductor / Mexican Attorney (CÚdula Fed. #7928026), my company helps all to resolve issues 331-556-0828 cell / US 805-683-4848 / Mx 765-7553.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Shipping products like that can be problematic, best way is to personally bring things.
I make good things happen. 765 7553, US 805 683 4848.
El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz.

#10 Jeanette

Jeanette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

I think you people didn't read her post correctly...she starting to explore the possibility and is asking for help from those who have a business here. She's beginning her due diligence.

You have to start somewhere and the nasty replies are not at all helpful, unless of course you have business experience here.

Malaya, if you haven't been following the OP's posts for the last few months, you can go back and read the. She is well beyond the initial due diligence period,. I believe she has recently visited, considering purchasing a home, and has definitely looked for a long term rental. As she has children, IF working is financially required for her, she needs to be aware of those potential obstacles to her relocation.

Many people just don't realize that being allowed to work in a foreign country can be difficult, and sometimes impossible. I see nothing nasty in any remarks in this thread.

#11 tobyjug

tobyjug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Talk with a professional export inport broker...we are not experts but share what has been our experiences!

#12 Don Anomino

Don Anomino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

In Mexico, commercial importation of "nutritional type supplements" is strictly regulated by COFEPRIS, the Comisión Federal para la Protección contra Riesgos Sanitarios ("Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risk").

I would certainly contact them to find out the requirements for bringing these products into the country for re-sale in a business. COFEPRIS has been known to seize unauthorized "medical" products at the border, even something as innocent as aspirin and vitamins or home blood pressure monitors.

http://www.cofepris....mas/Ingles.aspx

Good luck...

#13 ChrisB

ChrisB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Interests:Gardening-Orchids, Dogs, Reading, Gourmet cooking, travel

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

You might talk to the guy who sells health products at the plaza in Ajijic. He sometimes has puritan pride stuff which means he imported it!!

#14 LaChula

LaChula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

There are also MLM (which specialize in nutritional supplements) companies represented here, Amway and Herbalife, to name 2.
"He upon whose heart the dust of Mexico has lain will find no peace in any other land." Malcolm Lowry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users