• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ohjoni

ohjoni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

We are in Obregon tonight and heading for Nogales tomorrow. Anyone know if we are better off crossing at the regular or truck crossing mid day? Also, where do we get our sticker scraped off? Pisses me off that we have to pay about $400 to get a new sticker when we come home. I think we paid about 400pesos when we brought our car in 3 years ago ;-((
Attitude is Everything

#2 Colo-Rick

Colo-Rick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

If you are sure you are going to bring the same car back, why get the sticker taken off?

#3 canmex87

canmex87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Here is a link for the border crossing times.

Personally I've found that the Mariposa crossing is usually faster.

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

#4 Sunshine Girl

Sunshine Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

Definitely the truck exit. As you approach the 21 km south of the border Immigration check point, coming up in the northbound lanes, just opposite the Immigration area for the southbound lanes, you will see a north bound lane on the right side that separates and goes past a small booth. Take that lane, and someone in the booth with remove your sticker.

#5 paradise

paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

if you have an fm3 dont return the vehicle permit.... as long as your returning before your fm3 renewal date..

that 400 dollar fee is a creative way for them to get funds....... the old system worked fine.....

#6 Gramma Donna

Gramma Donna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:travel, golf, reading, baking, walking our Westie, learning spanish and teaching english

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

We arrived on a tourist visa last fall and paid $400. for the "temporary importation of a vehicle." A month or two later we got our FM3's. My understanding was that we will need to stop and have the sticker removed to receive the $400. back. Then, I guess, we give it back to them this September when cross the border again??
Thanks for sharing your experience/knowledge, as always.

#7 ericurmudgeon

ericurmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Not quite sure about your understanding about the sticker. We are snowbirds. Paid/deposited $300 when we came down in October and got the shiny sticker. Returned north in April. Went through the Nogales station to get the sticker removed with assurances that my credit card would be credited within a week. In fact, I got credited two days later with $325!!!!! (made money on the exchange rate) In other words you get the sticker deposit back. I think you are supposed to exit at the same crossing you entered by but don't know that for a fact.
It is no longer good enough to cry peace, we must act peace, live peace and live in peace.
-American Indian Proverb

#8 ohjoni

ohjoni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

We crossed at Nogeles today about 330pm....we had to wait in line for an hour. We stopped at Km 21 to have the sticker removed, the agent there asked if we were canceling the sticker. We told her we would be returning in 2 months, that we had our FM3. She told us we didn't need to cancel it since we would be returning. YEAH!
Attitude is Everything

#9 DC5

DC5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

We crossed at Nogeles today about 330pm....we had to wait in line for an hour. We stopped at Km 21 to have the sticker removed, the agent there asked if we were canceling the sticker. We told her we would be returning in 2 months, that we had our FM3. She told us we didn't need to cancel it since we would be returning. YEAH!

And what happens if you have an accident NOB and are unable to return the car? You're going to have a heck of a time trying to bring another car back.

#10 ohjoni

ohjoni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

And what happens if you have an accident NOB and are unable to return the car? You're going to have a heck of a time trying to bring another car back.

I am a cup half full kind of person and don't tend to think I will have that kind of accident. SHOULD that happen, we can bring a car in under my husband's name since this one is in mine. Or we can buy another in Mexico.
Attitude is Everything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users