• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ckelly

ckelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'm looking for an alternative to flying Guad to NYC... and thought maybe a bus to a mid-way US international airport . Has anyone tried this ? suggestions?

#2 howardF

howardF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Phoenix is a little out of the way from Guad to NYC. Why not bus to Houston or Dallas? There are through buses available from Guad although you might want to take ETN to Nuevo Laredo and cross the border yourself. Then take Greyhound the rest of the way. I've done that to Austin and it was very comfortable and easy. Taking a cross-border bus may be more convenient, but is subject to long delays if one of the passengers has entry issues.

#3 RickS

RickS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'm looking for an alternative to flying Guad to NYC... and thought maybe a bus to a mid-way US international airport . Has anyone tried this ? suggestions?

Although I have never done this, there is a bus line, Grupo SENDA, that has direct service from Guadalajara to several Texas cities (and even Chicago) on their TURIMEX International premium service. You will cross the border in your bus and clear Customs and then go off to your final destination. Their website, in English, is:

http://ticket.gruposenda.com/en/

#4 Griffin

Griffin

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

I think Grupo Senda changes to a Greyhound bus after you cross the border.
Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James 

#5 JuanPatricio

JuanPatricio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

I have made this trip many times to / from Phoenix on TUFESA. It is about 1300 miles a long trip of 26 to 30 hours depending on inspections and traffic.

I am coming back on Friday, April 20. A round trip with the senior discount cost me $180 USD.

It's a long trip, but hey if you are retired, is about $500 dollars worth a day of your time? It is a trade-off.

The trip could be split with a stopover in Mazatlan. Spend a day or two on the beach and then continue.

#6 georgew3

georgew3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I've made this trip a couple of times. I found their "executive" bus to be MUCH more comfortable as there are only 3 rows of large, totally reclining seats, and also found the drivers to be much more professional and safer, plus you get a little snack when you board. Well worth the extra 50 or so, bucks. Stay awake during the daytime, watch the videos, so you can sleep at night. Have a good trip!

#7 rufus

rufus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

The Tufesa terminal in Phoenix is at the corner of 27th Avenue and McDowell. You may be tempted to take the city bus on to the airport. Don't do it. You would have to transfer to the east Van Buren line at the downtown terminal, this will take forever, and the drivers are not gracious about a lot of luggage. You may find yourself standing all during the transit, and with luggage to guard to boot.

Spend the money and take the cab. They know when the buses are due in and will be waiting. Trust me on this, you do not want to take the bus.

You may do better to just fly out of Tucson rather than Phoenix.

Rufus

#8 JuanPatricio

JuanPatricio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

I am on the Tufesa bus now, heading down I10 near Chandler. I have always had good trips on this bus line. There are only 7 passengers leaving Phoenix. Lots of room aboard. The Semana Santa travel is past now.

#9 JuanPatricio

JuanPatricio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

One note: on the executive bus, there are no discounts. You pay full fare with no senior, student nor teacher discounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users