• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 mexicanamama

mexicanamama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Gudrun Jones has been working with the Camino Real horse vet Cameron' on this. She asked him to check on the horses as she had the feeling the "owners" did not like a gringa involved. Now the true story has come out. Those guys do not own the horses, someone in Guadalajara does. He gives the gardener money to feed them, when he doesn't there is no money for food.

Now we come to the pupose of this posting, one of the Charros is attempting to buy the horses in order to save them. In the meantime there is no money to buy food. So, contrary to the posting yesterday, please do help.

Gudrun is asking all of you kind people to get together as you had posted yesterday and donate money and buy food and feed the horses.

Gudrun and I, as well as all the animal lovers reading this are so grateful to know there are so many who love and care for these gentle, sweet animals. Thank you so much for caring.

As Gudrun gives me further updates I will pass them along to you on this site.

#2 dosgringos

dosgringos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I think we should take the offer from the person wanting to bring bales of hay.

Since we live in the neighborhood we will check on the water situation but have to carry pails of water. We will not feed them but let me know how we can give donations to buy food.

Also someone said not to give them too much water. ???

Thanks to all that have helped. I wish I had a place for them and I pray that the owner will sell the horses.

#3 lakeheron

lakeheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

A constant supply of water is necessary for horses. Too much isn't an issue. Cleaning out the water containers a couple times a week is a good idea. We used to raise Morabs in the high country of Colorado.

#4 mexicanamama

mexicanamama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Apparently the water is being provided but the horses haven't been fed since Saturday.

#5 Sarita

Sarita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, animals, socializing with friends

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'm the one who offered to bring a couple of bales of hay. My own supply is quite limited at the moment as I am waiting to get a load delivered from Michoacan, so in the meantime, could a couple of others pitch in and get some? And this will be an issue, as the hay growing season is coming to an end soon, then there will be no more hay until about next January. Yes, correct. That is a long dry spell, so whoever has these horses needs to make sure they have enough to get them through another 8 months.

My mare and her 2 yr old filly go through 15 bales a month on maintenance, in other words, to keep their weight stable, whereas this mare and foal are in horrible shape and need to fatten up, so likely 20 bales monthly, plus grain, vitamins and all the clean water they can swallow- they can't drink too much.

I have just gotten off the phone with a horse owner here who will donate several bales to these horses, but doesn't have a truck. Is there anyone out there with a pickup truck who could go collect the hay and take it to where ever these two horses are at? Please PM me and I will give contact info. Once I get a load in, I can donate a few bales. Anyone else?

#6 lakeheron

lakeheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

We can donate money towards hay for the horses.

#7 Betsy

Betsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have a truck ...333-440-6486 . I am terrible about having the phone with me though.
office 765-2233 . I would be glad to help

Betsy

#8 holdrja

holdrja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Peruvian Paso horses
    Gardening
    http://rdplakechapala.com/

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

We had offered to donate 3 bales of hay if someone will come pick it up - no truck needed, that much will fit into the back of an SUV.

Chris B - I don't remember your excellent advice on feeding starving horses (altho it should be done slowly) - is high protein alfalfa hay better, or regular grass hay?

#9 Sarita

Sarita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, animals, socializing with friends

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Betsy has kindly stepped forward to go pick up the hay that Holdrja has offered for these horses. Many thanks to both of you! If Betsy is going out it would be logical to get several bales to make it worthwhile, so anyone else wanting to could contact Betsy and give her your donation for however many bales you would like at I believe 80p per bale so she can bring back a decent supply for these horses. Betsy has posted her phone number above or you could send her a PM to make arrangements- I understand she lives in Chapala.

#10 lakeheron

lakeheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

We had offered to donate 3 bales of hay if someone will come pick it up - no truck needed, that much will fit into the back of an SUV.

Chris B - I don't remember your excellent advice on feeding starving horses (altho it should be done slowly) - is high protein alfalfa hay better, or regular grass hay?

Do not start with high protein or the horses will founder.

#11 Betsy

Betsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

This morning I went out and picked up some very nice grass hay from Holdrja, brought some fresh water and a better vessle for the water. God bless those people who have been toting those buckets of water....that is a real chore and I hope something else can be worked out with the water soon.

I talked with puddles, he has been giving the horses grass hay since Saturday , following Gundren's instructions on the amount. Puddles is having difficulty with his chapala.com account and is unable to post anything right now , but wants everyone to know that they are being fed.

Actually the mare looks a little better to me, maybe their haitus noshing on the lush green lawns of la Floresta did them some good...or maybe they are just better hydrated.

I have a couple of calls to return from some folks offering donations, but I have la gripa and have lost my voice... I will get back to those who called soon.....

I would like to speak with Gundren but I think the # I have is wrong... We should be able to add some Alfalfa into their diet at some point but I would like for her to be the guide about when to do that.

So this "guy" that claimed to be the owner or is supposed to be caring for the horses....he is just out of the picture entirely? Has his story been confirmed about there being an "owner" in Guadalajara? Does anyone know?

#12 dosgringos

dosgringos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

We will call Betsy to see about donating to feed these BEAUTIFUL animals. They are very beautiful horses.

I'm with Betsy... does anyone know if the owner from Guad has offered to sell them?

We will continue to check on their water too. I can't believe the gardner/person directly across the street from them cannot run a water hose over there? I'm sure if he does not have one long enough we could all offer water hoses as extensions?

I hope the Charros get the horses.

#13 cookie

cookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

What about the foal's leg?

#14 Betsy

Betsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

There are at least 6 properties that back up to the back wall of this property . Looking at a satelite map, they are located on De Los Mineros between Al Mangular and that narrow little callejon that I think is called De la Mina. And there is a large property right next door . Does anyone know anyone that owns one of these houses? I can provide a large water trough and a hose could just be dropped over the wall to fill it up. The back wall is not very high. Or if someone can get a neighbor on Rio Nazas to agree to run some water over there we can get enough hose to reach I'm sure.
I am sick right now but I will knock on some doors and ask when i feel better. Meanwhile, if you walk in that neighborhood and can ask a Gardner or see a homeowner, go for it!
Is Gundren's phone # 766-3813 ?Or how can I reach her?

I think that the foals leg is really messed up, but I'm no expert....maybe it will heal up like Camarone said.

I can't believe that even here in Chapala there is no law against dropping an animal in a pen and forgetting about it, no water,,,nothing. These horses would be dead if people were not giving them water. They need to get out of there and go to someone that will at least care for their basic needs. The Mare is small and will be an "easy keeper" . That pit they live in is so full of bottles , wire and other hazards...there isn't even a decent place for them to lie down.

I would like to talk to Gundren before accepting money from anyone, I will gladly take it and keep an account of it because I have a truck and can tote hay and stuff, but I just need to get her approval. Thanks to everyone...that $$$ is really needed.!

#15 Puddles

Puddles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

I have had problems logging on but thankfully I'm back now. I spoke with a vet and have been bringing hay and water (the amounts recommended by the vet) since Saturday. I agree with Betsy that the mare looks much better. However the vet said that no matter what the Charros say, if they get these horses they will use them for roping and they will end up with broken legs etc. as they use weaker horses. The person who originally told me he was the owner, I have seen walk past several times and is not in the least interested. Either because he knows we are feeding them, or because he just isn't interersted although apparently he is not the owner anyways. Is there anyone else with a ranch style property who would be interested in them IF we could locate the owner and offer to buy them? I think that is the only long term safe solution for the horses themselves.
I work, and at present don't mind feeding and watering, but I am only renting opposite the field for a few more days. After that it will be a longer journey and to be honest my new car smells like a farmyard from carrying the hay!!
Any suggestions?

#16 Puddles

Puddles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Does anyone know if anyone could take these horses if we can find the owner and offer to buy them. again, someone with a ranch etc. I think this is the only long term option to help them.

#17 Betsy

Betsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Arrangments have been made with the animal shelter in Riberas (the one with the store) to be a drop off point for donations to care for the abandoned horses ion Rio Naza. The person to see is Lourdes.
The horses will be graduating to Alfalfa and grain at some point and they need to be dewormed so this is going to take some bucks. We are working on a long term solution but don't have one yet. Thanks to everyone for helping.

#18 Betsy

Betsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Posted Image

#19 Puddles

Puddles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I am going out of town for a few days tomorrow, until Wednesday.
Is there anyone that can take food and water to the horses while I'm gone? After feeding them for a few days and seeing a big improvement, I would hate to go away and worry they are not being fed, as they are expecting food now!,

VERY IMPORTANT. THE BOLT ON THE GATE IS NOT SUFFICIENT TO KEEP THE HORSES IN THE FIELD. IT OPENS VERY EASILY? PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU SECURE THE GATE WHEN YOU LEAVE BY WRAPPING THE WIRE THROUGH IT?

#20 natbug

natbug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Yes Betsy, that is the correct number for Gudrun. She is often out so leave a message with Dryden if you miss her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users