• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Golf
    Tennis
    Bridge
    >Travelling

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

My male friend and I (female) are looking for one or two other tennis players at the C level to join us
for tennis at his home courts in El Dorado. Either male or female player, does not matter. We usually play Tuesdays and Saturdays around 9 am.
If you are interested in getting a foursome together - please give me a call.
Linda

#2 barlin

barlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts
    Tennis
    Bridge
    >Travelling

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Linda - forgot to mention my telephone number 766-7038
thanks.

#3 John Shrall

John Shrall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photoshop, computers, tennis, hiking

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

How would you define a "C" player? How long have you been playing and with what frequency?

Here are some general guidelines on ranking your level of play:

You have limited experience and are working primarily on getting the ball in play.

You lack court experience and your strokes need developing. You are familiar with the basic positions for singles and doubles play.

You are learning to judge where the ball is going, although your court coverage is limited. You can sustain a short rally of slow pace with other players of the same ability.

You are fairly consistent when hitting medium-paced shots, but are not comfortable with all strokes and lack execution when trying for directional control, depth, or power. Your most common doubles formation is one-up, one-back.

You have achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but need to develop depth and variety. You exhibit more aggressive net play, have improved court coverage and are developing teamwork in doubles.

You have dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate-paced shots. You can use lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys with some success and occasionally force errors when serving. Rallies may be lost due to impatience. Teamwork in doubles is evident.

You have developed your use of power and spin and can handle pace. You have sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and attempt to vary game plan according to your opponents. You can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve. You tend to overhit on difficult shots. Aggressive net play is common in doubles.

The numbers go higher but what's the point of dreaming?

If you want to improve your game, take some lessons. I've posted recently that Carlos Castro who is a certified teacher from Guadalajara is giving lessons on the clay courts at Club Nautico in the Yacht Club in Ajijic. Your game will improve dramatically with only a few lessons no matter your level. It's hard work but the results are worth it.

He put on a mini-tournament at the Yacht Club last Monday for 16 people. Two courts of doubles with a 25 minute time limit. Most points in 4 rounds won. It was a really fun day and we hope to do something like it again.

Today he held a small class called Cardio Tennis. No balls, just movement with a racquet. Forty minutes of exercise with a goal. Move your feet.

Call or email Carlos for a lesson for 1 or more people. 331-486-7173. charly_19castro@yahoo.es He doesn't speak any English but that's not really a problem in drills.

#4 barlin

barlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts
    Tennis
    Bridge
    >Travelling

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

John, very good information - thank you for posting it. I would describe my level as 3.5 for anybody interested in playing.
Also think I will be giving Carlos a call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users