happy jackson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:photography
    production, design and editing web shows for internet
    travel

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

I hate those little buggers, how about you? We were watching Dr. Oz on TV last week and he said the best roach killer was Boric Acid. I googled Boric acid and found this information
http://www.mouthstic...sbits/boric.htm

Now the question becomes, where can you buy boric acid at Lake Chapala?

#2 GeckoGretchen

GeckoGretchen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

I would really like to know WHY, when they do find a way into our place, do they think the spice drawer is a great place to hang out..... freaks me out when I pull the drawer open all unsuspectingly... and just to add to the brief "flapping arms" panic, they can sometimes take flight!!!

#3 Alfa

Alfa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Try any hardware store. Ask for acido borico.

#4 mpb

mpb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Some of the less expensive pharmacies carry them in small bags, cheap!.

#5 regc80

regc80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

I NEVER use pesticides as they are linked to Alzheimers and neurological problems such as restless legs in adults and ADD in children. Plus, the pesticides here are dangerous as they contain the chemicals that have been banned in the states for many years. Boric Acid works well for ALL insects, plus it is non-toxic too. It does take longer than pesticides to rid your place of bugs. I line the walls with it and leave it down for a week, then sweep it up. Also, if you have an Ant problem outdoors, consider using uncooked oatmeal instead of pesticides. The ants eat it and explode. The organic farms use oatmeal when they get an ant problem.

I buy my Boric acid at the hardware store next to Telmex for around 60 pesos for one kilo. It is also good to add boric acid 1/4 cup with 1 cup baking soda and use as a laundry detergent, which is the active ingredients in most laundry detergents minus the fragrances and chemicals and works just as well. I also add 1 cup distilled white vinegar which works as a fabric softener. Non-Toxic and totally biodegradeable and eco friendly.

#6 Alex

Alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

I used boric acid for many years in order to control fleas in my house. North of the border, it's commonly sold at hardware and garden stores as "Ant and Roach Killer." As mentioned previously in this thread, you will need to ask for acido borico at the local Mexican hardware stores. Pharmaceutucal boric acid is large crystals, which are used for eye-wash solution. You do not want the crystalline form of boric acid. You want the finely powdered form that they sell at the hardware store. Place a thin line of boric acid along the corners where the walls of your house meet the floors. You don't need to use much for it to be effective. Even if you overdo it, it is not toxic to humans or household pets.

#7 elainem

elainem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

I line the walls with it and leave it down for a week, then sweep it up.

How often do you do this? Does it work against scorpions too? Thanks for sharing this info.

#8 elainem

elainem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

It is also good to add boric acid 1/4 cup with 1 cup baking soda and use as a laundry detergent, which is the active ingredients in most laundry detergents minus the fragrances and chemicals and works just as well. I also add 1 cup distilled white vinegar which works as a fabric softener. Non-Toxic and totally biodegradeable and eco friendly.

Where do you find baking soda in large quantities? All I've seen around here are little boxes. Thanks.

#9 regc80

regc80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

You can buy baking soda at the tienda for bulk spices next to Gossips on the Carraterra. I think I paid aoround 10 pesos per kilo. I also found big 6lbs bags at Costco's.

#10 regc80

regc80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

After leaving the boic acid down for a week, I think it lasts about 6 months, but you can re-apply as often as needed. Yes, it works for scorpions and spiders too!

#11 happy jackson

happy jackson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:photography
    production, design and editing web shows for internet
    travel

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

Gotta say, I'm sur nuff glad I started this topic... I've learned a lot. Thanks for all the contributions

#12 Travis

Travis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

We are getting sugar ants, again, in the kitchen. The really tiny kind; I think that's what they're commonly called anyway. I remember reading here that boric acid is supposed to work against them, as well? Do you just sprinkle it dry along the borders of windows and baseboards, etc.? Inside? Outside? Both?

We have a very curious 1-year-old puppy with a long noise, so I'm reluctant to put it down on the floor. I think the ants are mostly coming in from a counter-top window....or at least that's where we see them usually. Thanks for any guidance!

#13 Alex

Alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Only use the boric acid on the inside of your house. Do just as you said. Sprinkle a little along your window sills, which is where the ants get in. It won't harm your puppy, even if sniffed. Boric acid is a mild antiseptic. It is commonly used in eyewash solutions. The dog would have to eat a lot ot it to get sick.

#14 regc80

regc80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

When I had sugar ants, I sprinkled along the counter tops and window sills, and I also sprinkled it along the ant's path. For a few days, you will see some ants wandering aimlessly, but within a week, they will most likely have all disappeared. Yes, boric acid is non toxic......I use it to clean toilets and sinks along with baking soda and vinegar, it works wonderfully to remove hard water stains without using harmful chemicals.

#15 Travis

Travis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks! Off to the hardware store....

#16 myblueheron

myblueheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Travel, spirituality, painting, reading, spending time with friends, my dog.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Gotta say, I'm sur nuff glad I started this topic... I've learned a lot. Thanks for all the contributions

I'm glad too! Also learned lots!

#17 ldutton

ldutton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

Try any hardware store. Ask for acido borico.

They have it at the Hardware by Mailboxes in Ajijic, comes in a plastic bottle for 12 peso. But any hardware should have it.

#18 manny

manny

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

i had roach infestations really bad in the USA, the boric acid works. i had some problems here, theres a great company who goes to my house. the lady is fluent in english & knows what to do. use her in a flash instead, no work for you! she does all my drains etc. zillions come out to die. i do entire house 1 x per year. then just the drains kitchen & bathrooms 2 other x's per year. she comes exactly when the appt is. no fooling around. the problem is 70% better. if you need her cell # let me know. (only reason i used boric acid in the states was that i had bad exterminators, & the problem was unreal. much worse than mexico, i had to empty all draws closets etc. put that white powder in every crack).

#19 regc80

regc80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

The problem with using pesticides here is that they are using the pesticides that have been banned in the US for decades for being highly toxic! Many people do not realize that some of the health problems that they are suffering from is due to pesticide exposure: Dementia, restless legs, agressive behavior, ADD, ADHD, along with other neurological problems such as dizziness, insomnia, tremors, memory dysfunction, etc.... the pesticide companies try to convince you that it is safe, but there is NO such thing as a "safe" pesticde. Pesticides affect the nervous system in insects which are much more susceptible than humans to the effects of the chemicals, but we ARE affected too, just not enough to kill us like it does the pests, but high enough quantities it could kill us as well. I have spent a lot of time studying toxicology, and have a doctorate in Pharmacy. The human neurological system is much more delicate than we realize, and once the damage is done it is mostly impossible to reverse the effects of neurological toxins.

#20 tomgates

tomgates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Walking, gardening, fine wine and food, cooking, bbq and entertaining.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

We use a pesticide, Cynoff, that gets a number of household pests, roaches and scorpions. Just get a one-gallon sprayer and use 2 packets per gallon. Spray inside behind beds, furniture, etc where it will not be mopped away. Also inside cabinets too. Wait for it to dry and be pet friendly. I get it at the hardware store Jara by Telmex.
Go to FMC's website for the label in English to answer concerns.
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users