• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alfa

Alfa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

My wife was talking with her doctor who's office is on the 13th floor of an office building in GDL and he hung up as he felt a tremor run through the building. At 1220 today, my wife drew my attention to the chandeliers in our living and dining rooms and they were all swaying. Anyone else notice anything?

#2 JRPJR

JRPJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

My wife was talking with her doctor who's office is on the 13th floor of an office building in GDL and he hung up as he felt a tremor run through the building. At 1220 today, my wife drew my attention to the chandeliers in our living and dining rooms and they were all swaying. Anyone else notice anything?

USGS says a magnitude 7.9 earthquake has struck near Acapulco

#3 bournemouth

bournemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

See details here:

http://earthquake.us.../usc0008m6h.php

#4 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Wow, news travels fast. My son in Canada just emailed to see if I was anywhere near it. Happened 45 minutes ago in Oaxaca. Here is more comprehensive information; a small tsunami is expected.
Map: http://earthquaketrack.com/mx-14-ajijic/recent
Details: http://earthquaketrack.com/mx-14-ajijic/recent

#5 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

msn.com described it as "a large tremor" and said it was felt hard in Mexico City where people left their office buildings and went out into the streets. The mayor, Marcelo Ebrard, said there was no damage to pipes, etc.

#6 phxfunguy

phxfunguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Interests:Languages, stamp collecting, exercise, country dancing, retired family MD/clinical instructor, former B&B owner, and now big into Chapala graffiti abatement!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

I was on my computer upstairs in Chapala Centro at 12:20 and felt nothing, but one relative has already emailed me as to my welfare!

#7 artsnob

artsnob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

I just talked to my partner in Mex city, all cell phones are not working, but land lines are, no severe damage in city, but damage near acapulco...

#8 777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

I was having lunch at Sunrise. I saw the lights swaying. I said to myself, not mentioning it to friends, gee the wind is strong to day!

#9 MountainGal

MountainGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

I just read an article on CNN.com about the quake. I was appalled when I read the totally racist, horrible readers' comments at the end!

#10 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

MountainGal, that's typical of the comments at the end of articles on CNN.com. I'm on it every day and see these totally inane comments that have little or nothing to do with the topic or are offensive. It would appear that the comments section is not moderated or otherwise many of them would be removed.

#11 More Liana

More Liana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,492 posts
  • Interests:Mexico
    Cultures
    Gastronomy
    Language
    Photography
    The Written Word

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

USGS says a magnitude 7.9 earthquake has struck near Acapulco

The epicenter of the quake was virtually on the state line between Guerrero and Oaxaca, in a very small town called Ometepec. 800 homes were destroyed there.

Here in Mexico City, the quake was extremely strong. One of our windows popped out, a lot of things were flying around inside our apartment--with some breakage--and the building itself felt like jello. It was hard to walk, the floors and stairs were rocking and rolling so hard. Our colonia (Condesa) and our neighboring colonia to the north (Roma) were the hardest hit. There were only two people seriously injured in the whole city, though!

Today's newspaper headlines shouted that yesterday's quake was the strongest to hit the city since the Big One in 1985.

#12 Bisbee Gal

Bisbee Gal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

Glad to hear you are safe, albeit somewhat rattled :blink:

#13 Wait. What?

Wait. What?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

I was in del Carmen and knew I felt my bed move sideways although they felt ñada. Since I was very mildly tranquilized I wasn't certain, but also felt an aftershock. Nice to know I wasn't hallucinating.

The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.
~~~Dante Aligheri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users