images

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 atari

atari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:I have a wide variety of interests, but I am a computer geek. Let me know if you have a computer problem and you need some help!

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi all!

I originally posted the instructions on how to post images to the web board. Based on feedback and on my personal usage, I no longer use Tinypic for image uploading. I use Imgur.com

I am going to post instructions here on how to use Imgur.com to see if it will benefit the community as a whole. If so, I will ask the mods to replace the instructions at the top of the page with these.

Please test the image posting feature out in this thread. Also note there are instructions for posting multiple pics into an album.

If there are any problems with the instructions, or if any clarifications are needed, just post in this thread and tell me, and I will edit the post.

To upload a SINGLE picture:

Step 1 - Go to imgur.com
Step 2 - In the section that says "Upload images", click on "computer"
Step 3 - Select the picture you want to upload from your computer and press open
Step 4 - Press the "Start Upload" button
Step 5 - When the upload is complete, you will see the image. To the right of the image you will see
many options to share the image. The one you want for the Chapala Web Board is "Direct Link (email & IM)"
Copy the address listed there.
Step 6 - On the Web Board during the posting process, select the "image" button. When the popup asks for
the URL, paste the address you copied from imgur.com

To upload MULTIPLE pictures into an album:

Step 1 - Go to imgur.com
Step 2 - In the section that says "Upload images", click on "computer"
Step 3 - Select the picture(s) you want to upload from your computer
Step 4 - You can select more pictures by pressing the "computer" button again
Step 5 - Put the pictures into an album by checking the box next to the start upload button
labeled "group images into and album". This will bring up a small screen for you to select the
layout of your album. Choose the layout that you want.
Step 6 - Press the "Start Upload" button
Step 7 - When uploading is complete, your album will appear (in the format in which you chose in step 5)
Step 8 - (Optional) If you wish you can edit your album with the options on the right. Edits include
adding image titles/descriptions, rearranging the images, etc)
Step 9 - The address in the address bar is the address you are going to use for the Chapala Web Board. Copy the address.
Step 10 - On the Web Board during the posting process, select the "link" button. When the popup asks for
the URL, paste the address you copied from imgur.com
Note - the album will NOT show up in the post as a picture. Instead, it is a link to your album of pictures.

#2 gravy

gravy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

how do you do it with picasa ?

#3 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I still use tinypic and used it earlier to day for a map to the Chapala tianguis. No problems

#4 atari

atari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:I have a wide variety of interests, but I am a computer geek. Let me know if you have a computer problem and you need some help!

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Not positive on Picasa, however I am think there is an option for sharing. If I remember correctly, you click that button and there are many sharing options (including share only with someone that has link, share with public, etc.).

#5 HelperGuy

HelperGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Not positive on Picasa, however I am think there is an option for sharing. If I remember correctly, you click that button and there are many sharing options (including share only with someone that has link, share with public, etc.).

Atari's got it. Picasa works very well; stick with the "Limited, anyone with the link" option.

#6 Betsy

Betsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

I have been trying to change my profile picture but it won't let me. I uploaded a pic on imgur, copied it , pasted it in the box and checked use gravatar....instead of the picture I selected , the sideways G thing appeared. .i can use a picture from my own files either.... In the box next to 'choose my own file are the caracters no f...cted and I can not delete that. I can select my own file but it just ends with an "upload not successful" message.
I have used profile pictures before but when I deleted the last one I haven't been able to put a new one ....any ideas/

#7 Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

how do you do it with picasa ?

In Picasa, you can share Albums - and then link to a picture within an album. So select an album - and then to the right, in my picasa, it gives my name first - and then the second entry has edit in blue for the options. Click Edit, select limited visibility or public and click Save Changes. Then go find the picture you want - select it - right click - select copy image url and click ok. Then return to post - click the picture icon (box with green) - select paste url. And then actual picture should appear in the thread - so that you know it worked before you click post. And to preview post before saving it - click More Reply Options and then preview post.

#8 atari

atari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:48 AM

I have been trying to change my profile picture but it won't let me. I uploaded a pic on imgur, copied it , pasted it in the box and checked use gravatar....instead of the picture I selected , the sideways G thing appeared. .i can use a picture from my own files either.... In the box next to 'choose my own file are the caracters no f...cted and I can not delete that. I can select my own file but it just ends with an "upload not successful" message.
I have used profile pictures before but when I deleted the last one I haven't been able to put a new one ....any ideas/

Betsy - I am guessing that your file size is too big. Have you checked that?

#9 atari

atari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

In Picasa, you can share Albums - and then link to a picture within an album. So select an album - and then to the right, in my picasa, it gives my name first - and then the second entry has edit in blue for the options. Click Edit, select limited visibility or public and click Save Changes. Then go find the picture you want - select it - right click - select copy image url and click ok. Then return to post - click the picture icon (box with green) - select paste url. And then actual picture should appear in the thread - so that you know it worked before you click post. And to preview post before saving it - click More Reply Options and then preview post.

Thanks for the update with Picasa. The only thing is that you need an account with Picasa. So, if you already use it, then it is a good option. But, if you don't use it and you want to upload some pictures of, say, your yard sale items, then I think imgur is a good alternative.

#10 Betsy

Betsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

I have checke the file size and I have even tried with pictures that I have already used . The problem started when the letters and periods no f...cted appeared in the box next to "post my own picture" option ...I don't know what that means or why it is there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users