• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ccooper

ccooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

I want to make a baby blanket. Can anyonbe tell me where I can buy fabric. Would prefer not to go to Guadalajara.

#2 Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

There is a fabric store in Chapala one block down from the bus station (going towards Soriana's, turn r at the bus station) - on the next corner. That store is amazing - they have pretty much used all the possible space - and have overflowed onto the sidewalk. The place is literally stuffed with stuff. I actually did purchase some drapery material there last month - but low end versus high end. And best to ask if they have something if it is not obvious - as fabric is tucked over, under other fabric, shelves and stairs. About 6 months ago I did go on a search for curtain hooks - starting in Ajijic - and finally ended up at this place 2 1/2 hours later - and found exactly what I was looking for. ave a good space - and that is about it from my perspective.

#3 EnglishRose

EnglishRose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

There is another fabric store in Ajijic on the street leading from the church to the plaza. I do believe the store in Chapala is better for both incidental supplies and fabric, but that depends on what you are looking for.

#4 The traveler

The traveler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Go to chapala, Turn left at the light and turn right down the street where the bus terninal is. One block down on the cross street corner on tne right is a store with lots of fabric. We found our cheese cloth there today.

#5 ccooper

ccooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

I have been to the fabric store in Chapala. They did not have what I am looking for. Any other options? If I have to go to Guad, any recommendations for a good store. I know there are many there.

#6 Ellie

Ellie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

I have been to the fabric store in Chapala. They did not have what I am looking for. Any other options? If I have to go to Guad, any recommendations for a good store. I know there are many there.

Are you looking for cottons or fleece?
Quilters favorite store in Guadalajara which is two floors with cottons, fleece, poly, silk, etc is Telas de Villa Nueva which is on Pedro Buzeta.
This is in Sta Teresita area of Ave Mexico and Chapultepec - west of the T intersection mentioned and about 4 blocks north of Ave Mexico.
Parking lot is across the street -- Hours from 9:30 to 2 and 4 - 7.

#7 DC5

DC5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

If you don't want to go all the way to Guadalajara there is a large fabric store called Parisina. As you go towards Guad. you'll pass the exit for the periferico, the road curves up the hill to the left. Staying on the right side, the first exit you come to just as the road starts back down curving to the right you will see a sign for Soriana. There is a shopping center to your right with several stores and this fabric store. Very nice selection and you don't have to drive into Guad.

#8 traderspoc

traderspoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

fabric district in Guadalajara ( spelled correclty now)

Vilver

manual acuna #1645
col ladron de quevera 44600
Guadalajara mexico

tel 333-825-6380

email vilver@prodigy.net.mx

call them or email them to see if they have what you want,

and english person was on staff llast time when we went

our favorite place

#9 hensley

hensley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, volleyball, and making jewelry

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

Did you go upstairs?
Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. Victor Borge.

Julie
Wayne

#10 hensley

hensley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, volleyball, and making jewelry

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

fabric district in Quadalajara

Why do you always spell Guadalajara incorrect?

Central Guadalajara has tons 16th Septiembre and Morelos.
Also Santa Tere (Santa Teresita) has a couple of big ones. Ave Mexico and I don't remember the cross.
Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. Victor Borge.

Julie
Wayne

#11 More Liana

More Liana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • Interests:Mexico
    Cultures
    Gastronomy
    Language
    Photography
    The Written Word

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

At the corner of Av. Chapultepec and Av. México are Telas Puerto de Veracruz--incredible mid-to-high-end selection of fabrics, including many baby-print cottons, and several other fabric stores. Just across the street (on Av. Chapultepec) is a branch of Telas Parisina.

#12 tim11

tim11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Because we are stupid, why can't you remember the cross street?

#13 the walkers

the walkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

If you don't want to go all the way to Guadalajara there is a large fabric store called Parisina. As you go towards Guad. you'll pass the exit for the periferico, the road curves up the hill to the left. Staying on the right side, the first exit you come to just as the road starts back down curving to the right you will see a sign for Soriana. There is a shopping center to your right with several stores and this fabric store. Very nice selection and you don't have to drive into Guad.

even closer to lakeside is Telas Hernandez. it is located on the carretera chapala-guadalajara this side of the airport. it is visable from the roadway, on the right(east) side of the road, a large yellow warehouse building with not much near it. the fabrics are 70p/kilo. you never know what you might find there....

#14 simpsca

simpsca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

I thought Telas Hernandez closed??

#15 Rainbow

Rainbow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

No, Telas Hernamdez isn't closed. I was there last week. They got a new shipment of fabrics

#16 natbug

natbug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

Perhaps, Hensley, for the same reason you used "incorrect" instead of the grammatically correct "incorrectly"....brain faster than fingers.

I hope this was a friend you were teasing and not what it sounded like, sniping.

#17 ccooper

ccooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Thank you so much to The Walkers for suggesting Telas Hernandez. We found it AND found fabric I can use for my baby blanket project. Actually there were so many options that I am going to make two blankets. :)

I would add this note to anyone planning a trip there, allow plenty of time to look around. They have everything if you have time to go through the stacks and stacks of fabric. The fabric is very well organized and the staff was more than willing to help me. It would be helpful if you had some idea of what you are looking for before you go.

#18 ccooper

ccooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Note to Natbug, the person who made the remark about my spelling is NOT anyone I know. I think it was in very poor taste!

#19 natbug

natbug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

ccooper, so do I. Sorry some folks don't know how to play nice with others.

#20 Guest_RevImmigrant_*

Guest_RevImmigrant_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:03 AM

Every time I see people correcting someone's grammar and/or spelling, I wonder if this forum is for improving written English or getting information about living in this area. Some people can't spell; I was in the Navy with a chief who admitted he could spell cat, but he couldn't spell beans! Some people like me can't do math. Some of us sometimes make typos; how can someone else tell if it's a typo or a spelling error?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users