• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Chula Vista Norte: a case study in failed government oversight
Friday, February 17 2012 11:58 Dale Hoyt Palfrey
Guadalajara Reporter

A Few Excerpts

How would you react if you learned that the local government claims that property owners in your neighborhood owe around one million dollars in unpaid fees? Horror, disbelief and aggravation would all be plausible answers.

In fact, both the city's legal department director Gabriel Meza and municipal judge Roberto Lopez told the Reporter that the AVF-CVN is not duly accredited by the city government and technically should not be operating or charging for public services, much less turning off anyone's water taps. Yet the city has not stepped in to assume responsibility for essential services.

But over the last couple of years a few disgruntled homeowners have refused to pay association fees claiming lack of transparency in its financial accounts, failure to address permanent solutions to long-standing problems and lack of proof of its legal authority to administer the subdivision.

The reality nearly a decade and a half later is that some of the promised work was delayed, left unfinished or installed with substandard quality. The feed-in to Simapa's sewage system was just built in 2010.

#2 tobyjug

tobyjug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

I guess whilst some of us feel comfortable with the lack of formal structure and regulations etc in Mexico..., if you have lived in Lakeside long enough you will have seen and heard many horror situations
The words, Respect and Transparency are banded around when dealing with "The Authorities", but in reality mean nothing.
I am amazed that when talking with the few Mexicans professional friends/acquaintances I know ..when the question of someone integrity comes up,Which Lawyer, Doctor or Builder should I use, they invariable say "They are Crooks"!!!!
Welcome to Mexico, warts and all

#3 manny

manny

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

there have been problems there for years. & other fracs & complexes.

#4 giltner68

giltner68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

This ties perfectly with the thread on Renting vs. Buying as a great example of "buy and take your chances". Sadly I've heard far too many stories of this type of thing here that would be almost unheard of NOB, or at least there would be legal recourse.

#5 Shira

Shira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

Perry March was one of the people involved when there were no deeds,
Ir is easier to love Mexico than to understand it.

#6 carib

carib

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

Perry March was one of the people involved when there were no deeds,

You said it all. This were my husband's words the first time he introduced himself at his place in la Floresta,
"This man gives me the creeps, this is someone to keep at arms lenght and I don't want to be close to." So true.

#7 guss

guss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Do HOA’s in Mexico have the authority to foreclose on homes like they do in the US?

#8 Alpha1

Alpha1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

Do HOA’s in Mexico have the authority to foreclose on homes like they do in the US?

They don't have ANY authority, as per the article. BTW, Perry is still on the books!

#9 guss

guss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanks. G

#10 Intercasa

Intercasa

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,341 posts
  • Interests:Perito Traductor / Mexican Attorney (CÚdula Fed. #7928026), my company helps all to resolve issues 331-556-0828 cell / US 805-683-4848 / Mx 765-7553.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

HOAs may have the right to foreclose on a home depending upon how their organizational documents are and how formally and exactly they are followed. I know one local HOA who tried to seize dissenting members furniture before Christmas to collect fees they weren't paying deemed illegal by a court!
I make good things happen. 765 7553, US 805 683 4848.
El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz.

#11 guss

guss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Intercasa that sounds like an interesting case.

Trying to put “teeth” into HOA rules on older expats is one thing, but something tells me I would not want to try to apply much pressure on Mexicans. I can’t say exactly why since I have no experience living in a private community in Mexico but I have a feeling that could have the potential to backfire.

G

#12 tobyjug

tobyjug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yes there is a process to foreclose on homes..it is long and laborious and needs the support of the local authorities....sadly it seems that Mexicans will compromise on the delinquency..if you have ever been a Board Member on any Fracc and suggest that back fees etc be ligated the Mexicans members will shake and quiver and wriggle and suggest "lets talk" again and again and again.... I say put the stake in the ground now, pay up or else

#13 Guest_bigd_*

Guest_bigd_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

You said it all. This were my husband's words the first time he introduced himself at his place in la Floresta,
"This man gives me the creeps, this is someone to keep at arms lenght and I don't want to be close to." So true.

Dont thimk you need to worry about being close. He is in prison in Tenessee

#14 johanson

johanson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location:Ajijic 8 months per year; I'm in WA and BC the remainder of the time

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

They don't have ANY authority, as per the article. BTW, Perry is still on the books!

You haven't heard? Perry is appealing his case and believes he has decent odds of being released. And is making plans for possibly leaving up North to return to...... Well let's see whether he wins his appeal or not before talking about his possible return to lakeside.

#15 bdlngton

bdlngton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hopefully Mexico would not allow him to enter again. After all, he was deported for violating immigration law. Of course, he would have to win his appeal first.

#16 manny

manny

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

i dont think mexico cares. he did a crime in the u.s. i am sure he has the money to pay what ever it takes to stay here, btw i know of 2 felons here. the more charities they are involved in, the more indictments they have.

#17 Sailor

Sailor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

i dont think mexico cares. he did a crime in the u.s. i am sure he has the money to pay what ever it takes to stay here, btw i know of 2 felons here. the more charities they are involved in, the more indictments they have.

Wow, Manny, wish you could tell us who they are. Most of us probably know them through the charity events. You never know who you are dealing with down here= border promotions. I have met a few myself since we have been here.

#18 manny

manny

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

perry march was only one example. that info is public. i do not betray people. let them get caught through the authorities. then we can discuss. there were many before perry & this is nothing new. the gossip loses its luster, you get used to it. if you are so curious about someone there is always google. all that glitters is not gold.

#19 JJB

JJB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

This whole subject is absolutely not based on true facts. There is one person responsible, a disgrunted individual has an ax to grind with the developer and when this person was unable to drag the HOA into the squabble. The individual employed the newspsper to place a black mark on all of the people who reside here. This person is hell bent on ruining the future of the residents of Chula Vista Norte. Let it be known "what goes around comes around". Shame on both of you!

#20 tobyjug

tobyjug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

And I bet these ugly people come from NOB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users