• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 casa ajijic

casa ajijic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Is anyone in the area disturbed by the very loud generator noise coming from Banco Multiva, Carretera 33. Their generator is on the roof and when the electricity is interrupted the generator kicks in. It is very, very loud. I've asked them to find a way to make the motor less noisy (believe me it is beyond noisy). They don't seem willing to take any action on this. If others in the area are bothered by this please send me a private response and perhaps we can organize a group effort to encourage them to take some preventative action.

#2 Aquaponicsman

Aquaponicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Aquaponics, Hydroponics, Organic Farming

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

If you organize a group it is considered "political action" and is against the law if you are a foreigner. They can take your home and deport you. They tried to do that against the guy with the airboat... and he did not pursue legal action, but could have done so.

Kind of surprising that your concern is the noise of the emergency generator instead of the electric service that must not be very stable. I would think that would be a better place to focus efforts, especially as you seem to be in that neighborhood and it would benefit you on both levels.

It would seem that the best solution would be stable power supply so that the emergency generator is not needed to protect all of your neighbor's money that is invested in MultiVa.

#3 Atlas

Atlas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

Organizing a group to address a neighborhood issue is not a political action.

#4 Mainecoons

Mainecoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,909 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

So RV is that group that has been organized by expats to try and clean up all that graffiti in your town going to get them deported? Is Linda Fossi of the CSI group going to be seized and tossed tomorrow for organizing an anti-crime group?

Just curious.

#5 the walkers

the walkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

if you're talking about noise pollution, there's also a generator at farmacia guadalajara that squeals something awful when it goes on. they seem to fix it periodically, then it starts up again.

#6 barbara habacht

barbara habacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Interests:Mexico.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Become a citizen...then when they ignore your complaints...at least you won't take it as a personal attack.....
Fred Habacht

#7 Trailrunner

Trailrunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

RV????????????????? I don't see a post by RV.

Just curious.

#8 oldshoe

oldshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

Trailrunner - I think that MC was confused by the Avatar that Aquaponicsman is using. Also refered to as patellar reflex reaction.

#9 conejorapido

conejorapido

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Trailrunner - I think that MC was confused by the Avatar that Aquaponicsman is using. Also refered to as patellar reflex reaction.

Yes, rather interesting and a bit presumptuous of the poster to take the same avatar as someone who has posted here for years.

#10 RVGRINGO

RVGRINGO

RVGRINGO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts
  • Interests:Life in Chapala and Ajijic.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Actually, I have no avatar. It is just a generic thing that pops up just as frequently as a certain poster's disdain of Chapala. Any excuse will do, it seems. More a knee-jerk thing, as has been noted above by the 'rapid rabbit'. :)

#11 Mainecoons

Mainecoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,909 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

Right you are, apologies to RV. Avatar confusion in my old age.

Same question, however, to Aquaponicsman. I always thought that the law forbade participation in partisan politics and elections, not community action for addressing common community issues.

Why don't one of you go by MultiVa and talk with Erika about the generator? She may not be aware of it at all. Unfortunately, noises like that and road noise from the carretera do tend to be much more noticeable on the uphill side of the road.

#12 Aquaponicsman

Aquaponicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

The Mexican Constitution states very clearly that "Foreigners shall not in any way involve themselves in the political matters of the country" This is emphatically interpreted to mean that foreigners do not have the right to vote, run for public office, or participate in any political event, rally or demonstration. Additionally, foreigners should stay away from all political activity including any kind of demonstration or protest even if you think it is seemingly non-political. Engaging in these kinds of activities is a good way to be asked to leave the country.

Article 33 of the Constitution states that the Executive of the Union has the exclusive power to demand expulsion from national territory, immediately and without a trial, of any foreigner whose presence in Mexico is considered inconvenient and “Foreigners, can not, in any way be involved in political affairs of the country.”

The constitutional articles sound pretty strong and they are very abstract and subjective. The possibility of being required to abandon the country is a directional faculty; it all depends on the decision and the point of view of the authority. In the real world, the importance of these restrictions relies on 2 questions, on one side: Who is the empowered authority to do so? On the other hand: What is the definition of “problematic” (pernicioso) and “political affairs of the country”?

My initial post was not an attack, just a caution based on what I have been told especially as in the instant case it involved someone who appeared to be a foreigner wanting to "organize a group" to protest noise from an EMERGENCY generator of a Mexican owned business.

#13 Aquaponicsman

Aquaponicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

As for the avatar... it was just randomly assigned to me by the system. I did not steal it or try to misappropriate someone else's identity. It is just a generic avatar that many users have, who have not uploaded their own photos or avatars.

#14 BillinaBus

BillinaBus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

So how many of the 1500 gringos who showed up for the 'political' meeting on public safety have been deported?... The only folks I've known of first hand who have been deported over political activities were openly supporting the Zapatistas at a time when the government was highly concerned about them.

Another point is many gringos are already Mexican citizens with more every month, this whole paranoia around saying anything about how things work seems to me to be an excuse to sit on our asses and do nothing when we should be active members of the community where we live.

#15 Aquaponicsman

Aquaponicsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

It was my understanding that the gringos who showed up at the safety meeting at Real de Chapala were invited by then Presidente Cabrera via a public invitation for all to attend. But again, I am not 100% sure. That is just what I heard.

#16 conejorapido

conejorapido

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Ah, but it's all in the interpretation isn't it. I can't get from asking an owner about a noisy generator (or even puttting together a petition on the subject) to participating in politics. Just doesn't compute for me.

#17 manny

manny

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

the major attended the meeting. even if he didnt, its our right to meet & talk, correct? it was the protest in front of city hall before that which looked a bit political. no one was arrested, & most of those folks have FM#s thats all. majority here are NOT citizens. why start a whole drama about a generator if you havnt even spoken to the manager of the bank? NOW i understand why americans are a pain in the neck.

#18 rjkveton

rjkveton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

I think article 33 may have been amended. Looks like there has to be some foundation in the law and a hearing is required.

Artículo 33. Son personas extranjeras las que no posean las calidades determinadas en el artículo 30
constitucional y gozarán de los derechos humanos y garantías que reconoce esta Constitución.

El Ejecutivo de la Unión, previa audiencia, podrá expulsar del territorio nacional a personas extranjeras
con fundamento en la ley, la cual regulará el procedimiento administrativo, así como el lugar y tiempo que
dure la detención.

Los extranjeros no podrán de ninguna manera inmiscuirse en los asuntos políticos del país.

http://www.diputados...iblio/pdf/1.pdf

I spent most of my teenage years in bars shooting pool. The rest was just wasted.
Warning!!! Please don't feed the trolls.
Thank God we don't get all the government we pay for!!!

There is nothing quite as permanent as a temporary government program.  Milton Friedman.

#19 Studio del Sol

Studio del Sol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:fine art, natural resources, history, literature, sociology, politics,tequila, wandering around...

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

A group of people complaining about generator noise a political action? That's a stretch. :017:

#20 manny

manny

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

american retirees love drama & crazy talk. they have nothing to do. im sure the noise is bad. someone had one on my street. we got him to dismantle it. 1)go to bank. if it dosnt change, 2) go to city hall &talk w/someone. try to have a mexican w/you. if that does not work, 3) have a petition signed w/a nice letter of request, bring it to city hall. this time to the right person. this is not some political coup. dont flatter yourselves. 4) if all else fails, you should have thought twice before moving here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users