Looking for volunteers

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 exyyz

exyyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Travel, animals, reading, friends, food, theatre, art, more travel

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

We want to form a group to help eradicate the tags that are defacing Chapala. If anyone is interested in volunteering their time, supplies or pesos, please PM me. No amount is too small. Together we can make a difference but we need some more bodies to make this happen.

Groups have formed in other towns. Let's show them that Chapala residents do care.

#2 moderator-2

moderator-2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

I am going to temporarily pin this so that more of you will have the opportunity to see it and get iinvolved in this important effort. If you live in Chapala or just care about it, please jump in.

#3 fablady

fablady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Sign me up! When and where is our organization meeting?

#4 hensley

hensley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts
  • Interests:Knitting, volleyball, and making jewelry

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

I have a paint donation where do you want me to bring it to?
Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. Victor Borge.

Julie
Wayne

#5 exyyz

exyyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Fablady,

A few people have responded. One is posting on another board to see if more come forward. Let's give it a couple a days and then we can arrange a meeting with all the participants. I will PM you with that info.

And Hensley, gracias! I will get back to you too within a few days but I have the feeling my house has turned into command central. Will PM the details.

#6 Mainecoons

Mainecoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

I got an email this morning, a group is definitely forming in Chapala. This is YOUR opportunity, Chapalans, to make a real difference in your town. Send a PM to the original poster or me for further information.

#7 John Shrall

John Shrall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photoshop, computers, tennis, hiking

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

It's great news to hear that at least a few folks want to take back Chapala from those who vandalize your walls with graffiti.

Be on the lookout for a bare wall with graffiti. Due to operator error following Nanette's receipe for a concrete, sellador and water mixture I have 2 extra buckets of a concrete slurry that is very effective at covering cinder block walls. Nanette and Antonio used this mixture a lot when they took on cleaning up San Antonio all by themselves. It is cheap to prepare and effective at covering.

Whenever you've found the perfect location let me know and I'll bring the mixture over with my trusty push broom and do my part to kick off this effort.

Kudos to those of you in Chapala who have stepped up and decided enough is enough.

#8 exyyz

exyyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

That is great, thanks. Supplies are in short supply. Unfortunately, I don't think it will take us much time to find a concrete wall with tags. I will get back to you ASAP!

#9 phxfunguy

phxfunguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Languages, stamp collecting, exercise, country dancing, retired family MD/clinical instructor, former B&B owner, and now big into Chapala graffiti abatement!

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Neighbors of mine have also volunteered to help and donated their 400 pictures of graffiti they took to take to the previous mayor's office in the past but were ignored. Who should I get these to?

#10 John Shrall

John Shrall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

Neighbors of mine have also volunteered to help and donated their 400 pictures of graffiti they took to take to the previous mayor's office in the past but were ignored. Who should I get these to?

No offense but ditch the pictures and ask the neighbors to donate 400 pesos or more toward the cause. As has been said before, you have to clear one area, secure it and then move on to the next area. That takes supplies and volunteers to do the work. One doesn't need pictures to see the extent of the problem in Chapala.

#11 exyyz

exyyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

I thought Spencer might be able to use them when he visits the mayor. Unfortunately I wasn't able to speak with him directlly this time but I will be seeing him on Wednesday a.m.

#12 phxfunguy

phxfunguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Languages, stamp collecting, exercise, country dancing, retired family MD/clinical instructor, former B&B owner, and now big into Chapala graffiti abatement!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

No offense but ditch the pictures and ask the neighbors to donate 400 pesos or more toward the cause. As has been said before, you have to clear one area, secure it and then move on to the next area. That takes supplies and volunteers to do the work. One doesn't need pictures to see the extent of the problem in Chapala.

They have already offered to donate time and pesos as well.

#13 Mainecoons

Mainecoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

We're meeting at the skateboard park at 10:30 on Saturday. Chapalans, please come out and join with your neighbors to put a stop to graffiti blight in Lakeside's leading community.

#14 John Shrall

John Shrall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

Will tomorrow's meeting be organizational and planning or will there be some supplies to actually start painting? If it's the latter then the attire needs to be painting clothes.

I plan to be there tomorrow too in order to meet the individuals in the new group and toss in my 2 cents worth of opinions on how to proceed and what to expect.

I'm mixing up a new batch of concrete/water/sellador brew right now hoping to perfect the formula. I've screwed it up twice but have high hopes I won't make a mess of it this time. For large surfaces the mixture is very cost effective and provides great coverage. Application will give you a good upper body workout too.

#15 exyyz

exyyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

Will tomorrow's meeting be organizational and planning or will there be some supplies to actually start painting? If it's the latter then the attire needs to be painting clothes.

I plan to be there tomorrow too in order to meet the individuals in the new group and toss in my 2 cents worth of opinions on how to proceed and what to expect.

I'm mixing up a new batch of concrete/water/sellador brew right now hoping to perfect the formula. I've screwed it up twice but have high hopes I won't make a mess of it this time. For large surfaces the mixture is very cost effective and provides great coverage. Application will give you a good upper body workout too.

All cents are welcome.

If anybody has a really good example of a tagged concrete wall or cinderblock wall, please let us know. We want to use our gift of witches brew above.

#16 Mainecoons

Mainecoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

I was VERY encouraged by the turnout and the attitude of the attendees today. At present, the Ajijic anti-graffiti effort is pretty well supplied. Please direct any paint donations to this new group as they are going to need a lot of it. Also, think about donating some time and/or money to this group. You should contact the OP with offers of assistance.

Wouldn't it be grand if Lakeside's leading community defeated the taggers too? Come on folks, it can be done if enough of you pitch in.

#17 chapalafan

chapalafan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Mainecoons:
Thank you for visiting us in Chapala today to help with the organization effort.
I was very surprised to learn that there are so many gangs operating in Chapala.
I am very shy and have trouble asking questions in front of groups of people. So, I will ask now.
Do the municipal officials support the anti-graffit workers? I was a little late to the meeting so this might have been answered before I arrived.
Thank you again.

#18 Mainecoons

Mainecoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

I think you need to put this question to Susan when they meet with the acting Presidente. Here in Ajijic, we don't expect any support from the government and we aren't getting any. However, you all have the opportunity to possibly get them to enact an ordinance requiring businesses to remove graffiti and also possibly getting better police response to these vandals as you do have 24 hour police presence there.

#19 chapalafan

chapalafan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

So there are no legal problems that we might encounter during the painting?

#20 exyyz

exyyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

I checked with Spencer about the legalities involved. If someone is really against having gang tags removed from their house, they would have to file a denuncia. That hasn't happened in any of the other clean up areas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users