• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 koko

koko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

I have had it with Sky TV. Last year, they removed Hallmark and now American Network. I was considering Dish TV. I like some Latino content but mainly good, family movies, not that violence or science fiction or horror kid stuff.

I would also like to know if the reception is good. Does it cut off often for no reason, bad weather being acceptable?

Thank you for any input you could give me.

#2 zerbit

zerbit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

I have had it with Sky TV. Last year, they removed Hallmark and now American Network. I was considering Dish TV. I like some Latino content but mainly good, family movies, not that violence or science fiction or horror kid stuff.

I would also like to know if the reception is good. Does it cut off often for no reason, bad weather being acceptable?

Thank you for any input you could give me.

Are you considering Dish Mexico or US Dish? I just got rid of our US Dish due to poor reception. There were evenings when nothing came through and signal loss during the day effected numerous stations. This was with a 2 meter dish. Switched to Shaw, beautiful reception. Although Shaw may change it's satellite footprint next year so who knows?

#3 koko

koko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thank you. I was considering Dish Mexico with some Spanish contents: news and interviews.

I wonder if the reception would be as bad for us as the US Dish?

#4 MountainGal

MountainGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

Dish Mexico has great reception (except during heavy rain). Content is a bit limited, but I find a decent (not great) selection of movies in English. Best channels for movies are TNT, HBO channels, and Movie City channels. Certain channels are alway dubbed in Spanish, some will vary depending upon the movie - or maybe cycle of the moon? You won't find Hallmark or American Network on Dish Mexico. It really depends on how much you need English language content and variety. Some people hate Dish Mexico. I find it acceptable because 1) it's cheap, and 2) I'm not a big TV nut.

#5 paradise

paradise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

i have dish thorugh telmex and i dont like it too much..... i wish i had shaw.

#6 Griffin

Griffin

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Thank you. I was considering Dish Mexico with some Spanish contents: news and interviews.

Dish Mexico and Dish USA are not related and Dish Mexico is not part of Telmex. Dish Mexico has permission to use the name Dish and that is the only thing they have in common.

Dish Mexico uses a different satellite than Echostar Dish so the reception here is good.

If you can get it and you want American Network, TNT, Syfy, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, BBC, Headline News, and more English channels than Dish Mexico offers, try Telecable Digital. Telecable also offers cheaper internet than Telmex.

Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James 

#7 lakeheron

lakeheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

Dish Mexico and Dish USA are not related and Dish Mexico is not part of Telmex. Dish Mexico has permission to use the name Dish and that is the only thing they have in common.

Dish Mexico uses a different satellite than Echostar Dish so the reception here is good.

If you can get it and you want American Network, TNT, Syfy, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, BBC, Headline News, and more English channels than Dish Mexico offers, try Telecable Digital. Telecable also offers cheaper internet than Telmex.

We are bonified US Dish afficionados. We have the satellite dish farm thing going with two large dishes and one medium sized dish. We subscribe to a large package of programming. Our only issues with reception are when it is raining or during the season when the sun lines up with satellite during a certain part of the day (minutes only) and the sun energy overpowers the satellite signal.

#8 Tom L

Tom L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

I use Dish Mexico and it gets good reception, they use a small red colored dish. You get an assortment of mostly Spanish channels and some English ones.
I get 'Basico Plus' which gets a few more English channels. One good thing is that you can connect 4 different TV's to the same dish and each TV has it's own box so all four TV's can be watching something different. - And they don't charge extra for that. I pay 439 pesos a month which comes out to about 110 pesos per TV. This comes in handy if you have a casita or two or several rooms in your house.

#9 colibri

colibri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

According to my research, Dish Mexico is mostly in Spanish with very few English channels. CNN World is in English. The others are either 100% or 70% Spanish. From your explanation, I believe you wanted the other way around, more English, no?

Most of them have English subtitles though.

#10 MountainGal

MountainGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

According to my research, Dish Mexico is mostly in Spanish with very few English channels. CNN World is in English. The others are either 100% or 70% Spanish. From your explanation, I believe you wanted the other way around, more English, no?

Most of them have English subtitles though.

NONE of them have English subtitles! Most, whether in English or Spanish have Spanish subtitles. I don't think I'd put the number at 70% Spanish. Of the channels I watch (I don't do kids programming or sports) I'd say it's closer to 50/50 or 60/40 (60% spanish). There are 2 new NatGeo channels which seem very good, but Spanish only. As I mentioned above, it all depends on what you care about and if English programming with lots of choices is high on your list, Dish Mexico is probably not for you.

#11 colibri

colibri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

NONE of them have English subtitles! Most, whether in English or Spanish have Spanish subtitles. I don't think I'd put the number at 70% Spanish. Of the channels I watch (I don't do kids programming or sports) I'd say it's closer to 50/50 or 60/40 (60% spanish). There are 2 new NatGeo channels which seem very good, but Spanish only. As I mentioned above, it all depends on what you care about and if English programming with lots of choices is high on your list, Dish Mexico is probably not for you.

Go to Mexican Dish web page and click on the left on Canales and you will see their own evaluation and explanation of Spanish and English programming. Most stations are in Spanish only, a few are in English only and some stations have a mix of programming (70% Spanish – 30% English. Some have subtitles. This should give the poster an indication of what he/she is looking for.

#12 MountainGal

MountainGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

Go to Mexican Dish web page and click on the left on Canales and you will see their own evaluation and explanation of Spanish and English programming. Most stations are in Spanish only, a few are in English only and some stations have a mix of programming (70% Spanish 30% English. Some have subtitles. This should give the poster an indication of what he/she is looking for.

Based on experience, you can't really go by that webpage. First, it's a bit old and things fluctuate. Second, some programs (it seems to vary by program, not channel) have Spanish subtitles but have also been dubbed in Spanish. Some programs actually have the dual language feature (may or may not have subtitles). Some are always in their origial language with spanish subtitles. Sometimes you have to switch the alternate language setting to Spanish for English language, sometimes it's English for English. Some channels are totally in Spanish, either original language or dubbed.

So if the orignal poster doesn't like Sky anymore, and the reason is because there is less English language content, I doubt you would like Dish Mexico any better unless you want to save money.

#13 koko

koko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

Since Sky removed two of my preferred channels, I am now considering the change to Dish Mexico hoping to have movies in English. Like MounntainGal, I am not interested in Kids or Sports programs neither their Soap shows in Spanish, so I am left with very little choice even with one upgrade (at $540 a month). I enjoy NTN24 for their interviews and CNN Spanish for their news--that is it. Whether it is 70% or 60% of English content does not tell me much. I stopped by at Telmex and watched their TV set up. There is not much English content, mostly Spanish even the American movies were in Spanish. The girl indicated that there was even less than 20% of their programing in English--some channels were mixed but even those channels were mostly in Spanish.

Now, I wonder if I can switch the language? I have tried that with Sky TV but it does not work.

Thanks Colibri and MountainGal for your input.

#14 MountainGal

MountainGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Since Sky removed two of my preferred channels, I am now considering the change to Dish Mexico hoping to have movies in English. Like MounntainGal, I am not interested in Kids or Sports programs neither their Soap shows in Spanish, so I am left with very little choice even with one upgrade (at $540 a month). I enjoy NTN24 for their interviews and CNN Spanish for their news--that is it. Whether it is 70% or 60% of English content does not tell me much. I stopped by at Telmex and watched their TV set up. There is not much English content, mostly Spanish even the American movies were in Spanish. The girl indicated that there was even less than 20% of their programing in English--some channels were mixed but even those channels were mostly in Spanish.

Now, I wonder if I can switch the language? I have tried that with Sky TV but it does not work.

Thanks Colibri and MountainGal for your input.

Dish is setup to enable you to switch the language (using their receiver menu), but whether or not it works depends on the channel. As for movies, you probably would want to get one or both of the movie packages (HBO and City) as they are mostly in English. There are some movie channels that are included with the basic or basic plus, but are all dubbed and cannot change language. You can see almost all of the American TV shows in English (on Sony, WB, Studio Universal), some are kind of old, some one season behind. Dish Mexico with all access plus (basic plus, HBO and City) runs $335 per month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users