US plated car with expired registration dilemna

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 guacamole

guacamole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:International travel, gardening, cooking, scuba diving, art and music.

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

My Texas plated car has expired registration. I cannot renew expired tags on line. It has also been here past the date on the MX tourist tag. The credit card has not been charged. I have another car here on my FM3. I want to get the expired car to California and register it there. Should I drive it out to Texas and renew, tow it to Texas and renew, drive it to California and re-register there, or tow it all the way to California? Should I stop at the border and have the sticker removed even though it is past the legal date, or sneak across and never return with that vehicle? Is a car being towed likely to get stopped more than a car driving? I want to do this all before August. Spencer, this one's for you!

#2 sparks

sparks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  • Interests:Live a few years longer

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

Are they checking for current registration in your area? Mine expired in '06 like most of the gringos I know. If really worried I'd try the South Dakota method

#3 gringolokito

gringolokito

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

Are they checking for current registration in your area? Mine expired in '06 like most of the gringos I know. If really worried I'd try the South Dakota method

My Brother in law (#1) in Zapopan drives a Texas plated car that expired in 04!! I was, to say the least a little stunned when I first noticed it, but he has never had any problems except once at the GDL airport and that incident was because another brother in law (#2) was dropping people off and he was stopped by a Military person of some sort and he did not have the papers in the car and they were going to tow it. Brother in Law (#1) went down and showed the papers and they let them go. ??? I don't understand it but apparently its no big deal with expired out of country tags. I have also heard its same with out of State (non-jalisco) tags also. They do not have the computer systems here like NOB, But I here the U.S. is helping with that. Maybe part of the Merida Program
I don't live at the edge of the world. But, you can see it from my back porch!

#4 guacamole

guacamole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:International travel, gardening, cooking, scuba diving, art and music.

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

My Brother in law (#1) in Zapopan drives a Texas plated car that expired in 04!! I was, to say the least a little stunned when I first noticed it, but he has never had any problems except once at the GDL airport and that incident was because another brother in law (#2) was dropping people off and he was stopped by a Military person of some sort and he did not have the papers in the car and they were going to tow it. Brother in Law (#1) went down and showed the papers and they let them go. ??? I don't understand it but apparently its no big deal with expired out of country tags. I have also heard its same with out of State (non-jalisco) tags also. They do not have the computer systems here like NOB, But I here the U.S. is helping with that. Maybe part of the Merida Program

This expired tags are only going to be an issue when I cross the border into the US. If I can't renew on line I will be driving without current registration until I get to a place I can renew. I don't WANT to drive to Texas, where the car is expired, I want to get registered in California. THat would mean driving through two states without current US registration.

#5 gringolokito

gringolokito

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

This expired tags are only going to be an issue when I cross the border into the US. If I can't renew on line I will be driving without current registration until I get to a place I can renew. I don't WANT to drive to Texas, where the car is expired, I want to get registered in California. THat would mean driving through two states without current US registration.

Don't know how comfortable you are driving through Mexico but Tijuana borders San Diego. Park in Tijuana walk across and take the trolley into SD get registered. But I think emissions are an issue IE they may require some emission test prior to issue of the tags. Some states you can get temp tags at DMV to "Ferry" the car and a few do it by mail. Kind of like aircraft that are out of inspection you get a ferry permit from the faa for the sole purpose of moving it from A to B. Not sure if CA does Temp tags.

OR

I Just looked around and they have 1 day trip Permits (which is like a ferry permit) these guys help with it

http://www.finestcityreg.com/

Or Maybe one of these Title services companies could help (Would be nice if you could do it without going but I AM ALMOST POSITIVE Emissions are going to have to be tested

Local listings: 4
Daniels Registration Service
2121 Imperial Avenue
San Diego, CA 92102-3826
Phone: (619) 238-9608
Business Types: Documentation Title & Tags Service
Otay Auto Registration
9660 Via De La Amistad Suite 106
San Diego, CA 92154-5211
Phone: (619) 671-9955
Business Types: Automobile Registration Services, Automobile Repair & Service Information & Referral, Information & Referral Services
Placas Registration Services
6051 Business Center Court Suite 1
San Diego, CA 92154-6641
Phone: (619) 671-7878
Business Types: Automobile Registration Services, Insurance Carriers
Ricky's Registration Services
8560 Siempre Viva Road
San Diego, CA 92154-6270
Phone: (619) 671-7882
Business Types: Automobile Registration Services, Automobile Repair & Service Information & Referral, Information & Referral Services

#6 bournemouth

bournemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

If you cross the border in Nogales, the Arizona DMV has an office right after crossing at Mariposa Road, where, I think, you can get a trip permit which would let you get through the state with no problems - although I'm not sure that any state other than Texas will care that your plates are expired:

http://www.compuquot...na-DMV/414.html

#7 Intercasa

Intercasa

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,422 posts
  • Interests:Perito Traductor / Mexican Attorney (CÚdula Fed. #7928026), my company helps all to resolve issues 331-556-0828 cell / US 805-683-4848 / Mx 765-7553.

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

Why register in CA? Best to register in South Dakota, CA will want you to buy insurance for the car and smog it.
I make good things happen. 765 7553, US 805 683 4848.
El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz.

#8 gringolokito

gringolokito

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

Why register in CA? Best to register in South Dakota, CA will want you to buy insurance for the car and smog it.

I 2nd that idea. Is there a specific reason for registering in CA?

#9 Shira

Shira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

Another vote for South Dakota
Ir is easier to love Mexico than to understand it.

#10 bournemouth

bournemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

It's possible that the vehicle is going to remain in CA.

#11 guacamole

guacamole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

It's possible that the vehicle is going to remain in CA.

No, the vehicle is going to Canada. It can't be imported and plated in Canada and State Farm of California is the only insurance company we have found who will insure the car in the US and Canada. But they require it to be registered in CA. I think the trip permit might work! Thanks.

#12 Jeannie

Jeannie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

If a US made car or Mexican made car goes to Canada, and you want to plate it there, you will be required to bring it up to Canadian safety standards. You may also have to pay import taxes depending on the year.

We got insurance from Parker Insurance so we could drive our car through the United States and be insured in Canada until we changed our Ontario plates over to British Columbia plates.

#13 canmex87

canmex87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

If a US made car or Mexican made car goes to Canada, and you want to plate it there, you will be required to bring it up to Canadian safety standards. You may also have to pay import taxes depending on the year.

We got insurance from Parker Insurance so we could drive our car through the United States and be insured in Canada until we changed our Ontario plates over to British Columbia plates.

My understanding is that if the vehicle is manufactured in the USA or Mexico it can be imported into Canada "duty" free because of NAFTA. It must however meet the Canadian emision control and safety standards etc. and you must pay applicable provincial taxes.

#14 jrm30655

jrm30655

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:cooking, fun, interesting women

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

I'd imagine that TX has a grace period in which to register a car. If I were just going to cross TX, I wouldn't worry about it. If stopped, show the cop your passport stamp and tell him what you are doing. Worst case, they might give you a ticket.

If time is not a problem, go the South Dakota route.

When I was in GA, I had a company truck. The tags came in one day and it was just pouring rain, so I tossed the plate in the back planning on putting it on when the rain stopped. It slid under the seat and I forgot about it. Drove a whole year (50,000 miles) and no one noticed.

One thing that MX seems to have working is car permits. If you take one out and don't get it cleared in the computer, they will not let you bring another one in.

I'd also call TX and talk to them. I know that NM has a way that you can register a car without an emission sticker if you certify that the vehicle is out of state and will remain out of state.

#15 guacamole

guacamole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:57 PM

I'd imagine that TX has a grace period in which to register a car. If I were just going to cross TX, I wouldn't worry about it. If stopped, show the cop your passport stamp and tell him what you are doing. Worst case, they might give you a ticket.

If time is not a problem, go the South Dakota route.

When I was in GA, I had a company truck. The tags came in one day and it was just pouring rain, so I tossed the plate in the back planning on putting it on when the rain stopped. It slid under the seat and I forgot about it. Drove a whole year (50,000 miles) and no one noticed.

One thing that MX seems to have working is car permits. If you take one out and don't get it cleared in the computer, they will not let you bring another one in.

I'd also call TX and talk to them. I know that NM has a way that you can register a car without an emission sticker if you certify that the vehicle is out of state and will remain out of state.

Any specific advice about the pulling off or not pulling off of the tourist sticker (expired) at the border crossing bak into the US? If I stop and have it pulled ,and they say, "Gee WHiz, you are two months late!" are they likely to just let me go or fine me or take the car on the spot?

#16 traderspoc

traderspoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:16 AM

i registered as a nomad, with no US residence, but with mailboxes address, had form notarized by mexican notary.

it takes 10 days to clear your situation with south dakota plates,
less if you fed ex,
plates arrive quickly 10 days or less, title follows in a few weeks

I just renewed my south dakota registration after one year, and paid online $10 discount if you pay 2 months in advance.
$51- 10=$41.. tags were sent in mail, 10 days later to put on plates for 2012.

thank to all on the webboard who gave good advice about South dakota

#17 exHawaiian

exHawaiian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

There is a certain town in N Dakota, and it is the only place which will do this sight unseen registration. There are many threads in this site which have info on it. Please do not just contact N. Dakota itself, or they might shut down this little cottage industry in this one town, because it is not a state law. We got N. Dakota plates. Then we got temporary insurance from Parker using the registration in the US (which was all very cheap).

Mexico doesn't give a rip if the car is here along with the FM3'd owner. How long it is in Mexico is irrelevant. The registration date is no longer an issue here. With N. Dakota plates, you can drive anywhere in the 50 states with impunity. I think we had our plates in about 2 weeks, and it didn't cost much.

Then when we came back here, we took our N. Dakota plates off and put our old Hawaii plates back on because they are more fun!

#18 exHawaiian

exHawaiian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

There is a certain town in N Dakota, and it is the only place which will do this sight unseen registration. There are many threads in this site which have info on it. Please do not just contact N. Dakota itself, or they might shut down this little cottage industry in this one town, because it is not a state law. We got N. Dakota plates. Then we got temporary insurance from Parker using the registration in the US (which was all very cheap).

Mexico doesn't give a rip if the car is here along with the FM3'd owner. How long it is in Mexico is irrelevant. The registration date is no longer an issue here. With N. Dakota plates, you can drive anywhere in the 50 states with impunity. I think we had our plates in about 2 weeks, and it didn't cost much.

Then when we came back here, we took our N. Dakota plates off and put our old Hawaii plates back on because they are more fun!

#19 bournemouth

bournemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

Are you referring to Clay County, South Dakota?

#20 Kiko

Kiko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

My Texas plated car has expired registration. I cannot renew expired tags on line. It has also been here past the date on the MX tourist tag. The credit card has not been charged. I have another car here on my FM3. I want to get the expired car to California and register it there. Should I drive it out to Texas and renew, tow it to Texas and renew, drive it to California and re-register there, or tow it all the way to California? Should I stop at the border and have the sticker removed even though it is past the legal date, or sneak across and never return with that vehicle? Is a car being towed likely to get stopped more than a car driving? I want to do this all before August. Spencer, this one's for you!

As long as you have a Texas auto liability insurance policy, you should be able to renew on line and have the sticker mailed to a Texas address. If you do not have Texas liability insurance, then obtain a liability only policy, order the sticker on line, then cancel the policy once you receive the sticker. You only need a Texas address to make this happen. If you don't have a Texas address, then you can always find one easily, there's a zillion Texans who live Lakeside in the summer.

Good luck. My Texas sticker has been expired since '06 and I've driven to Texas 20 or 30 times in that vehicle. Never a problem and if I was ever stopped, most officers will understand and just give you a warning provided you bring you plates current. Just tell the County Clerk in Texas that the vehicle was in storage in Mexico and you had not been driving it or they will retroactive charge you for all of the years that you had not a valid sticker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users