• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 evetoo

evetoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:49 AM

I've heard of a fabric warehouse in Guad but can't seem to find anyone that knows where it is.
I need fabric to make curtains for our home. Does anyone know where it is or of any place that
carries good fabric ( not expensive, but not junk either ).

#2 Ellie

Ellie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:18 AM

I've heard of a fabric warehouse in Guad but can't seem to find anyone that knows where it is.
I need fabric to make curtains for our home. Does anyone know where it is or of any place that
carries good fabric ( not expensive, but not junk either ).

It's not in Guad but on the road on the way to the airport. You'll drive past Los Burritos on the other side of the street. Continue on - slight incline in the road and a large warehouse on your right - also look for a red, white and blue water tower on your right. Just past the tower there is a road to the right and as your approach the turn off you will see a bright yellow building.
That's it. Just turn and then pull in - however, this is a warehouse. You pay by the kilo. Some of the fabric is in hugh bales on the floor and you rummage thru those pulling out what you want. Some is large chunks, some smaller pieces, uncompleted pillow covers, toweling, etc. There is also some fabric on rolls - knits, denim and that you can buy by the meter. You might find something for curtains - it's hit or miss...

#3 Shira

Shira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

There is an excellent fabric warehouse close to Revolution but it is a very long time since I have been there so cannot tell you exactly where.
Ir is easier to love Mexico than to understand it.

#4 privado

privado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:38 PM

Santa Teri area of Guad is the Fabric district of the city- VILVER is a great fabric store with 2 locations - carries quality designer fabrics at very reasonable prices for Mexico- Located on Manuel Acuna just 2 blocks from Ave. Mexico

#5 JKL

JKL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

There is a fabric shop back of Lloyd's. Name of shop is "Jasmine's." They specialize in drapery fabrics and carry the Mexican hand-loomed, etc. Great prices, very helpful, and very convenient. They also carry the drapery rings, poles, etc.

#6 Jeanne B

Jeanne B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

When I went home to Sacramento in May to get my car and some house things, my tapesty pole somehow got left behind. I ordered a custom made one from Jazmin. Custome made, delivered and installed for a small price (I can't remember exact price) for around 300 pesos. Her number is 766-1212 and address is Encarnacion Rosas 29 which is right kitty corner from Guadalajara Pharmacia. Am going to order some living room drapes from her after the first of the year. Highly recommended.

#7 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Retired health care professional advocating for and working with abused women, vulnerable elderly, animals, developmentally disabled children and Lakeside handicapped access issues; Current published heelth writer and consultant on health and social service programs and concerns.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

When I went home to Sacramento in May to get my car and some house things, my tapesty pole somehow got left behind. I ordered a custom made one from Jazmin. Custome made, delivered and installed for a small price (I can't remember exact price) for around 300 pesos. Her number is 766-1212 and address is Encarnacion Rosas 29 which is right kitty corner from Guadalajara Pharmacia. Am going to order some living room drapes from her after the first of the year. Highly recommended.

#8 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Retired health care professional advocating for and working with abused women, vulnerable elderly, animals, developmentally disabled children and Lakeside handicapped access issues; Current published heelth writer and consultant on health and social service programs and concerns.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

Ordered an outdoor chaise lounge pad and cover and a chair pad and cover. Took them over 3 months to make. The workmanship was terrible, and they did not fit well. She said she lost the demensions but did not call me to ask for them. Also the price was ridiculous. Over $125 for chaise longe pad and $70 for chair pad although they quoted me a much lower price. They said they did not know how much work they would be.

#9 evetoo

evetoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it.

#10 jrm30655

jrm30655

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Interests:cooking, fun, interesting women

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

There's a fabric store in Chapala on the street behind the plaza. Not sure if it has what you are looking for. 1 block north of the plaza, right beside the place where you pay traffic tickets.

#11 Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

There's a fabric store in Chapala on the street behind the plaza. Not sure if it has what you are looking for. 1 block north of the plaza, right beside the place where you pay traffic tickets.

There is also one just down from the bus station - on the next corner. That store is amazing - they have pretty much used all the possible space - and have overflowed onto the sidewalk. The place is literally stuffed with stuff. I actually did purchase some drapery material there last month - but low end versus high end. And best to ask if they have something if it is not obvious - as fabric is tucked over, under other fabric, shelves and stairs. About 6 months ago I did go on a search for curtain hooks - starting in Ajijic - and finally ended up at this place 2 1/2 hours later - and found exactly what I was looking for. And I have found the above mentioned store behind the plaza - next to the ministerio - to be poorly stocked. Too bad - they have a good space - and that is about it from my perspective.

#12 EnglishRose

EnglishRose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:09 PM

There is also one just down from the bus station - on the next corner. That store is amazing - they have pretty much used all the possible space - and have overflowed onto the sidewalk. The place is literally stuffed with stuff. I actually did purchase some drapery material there last month - but low end versus high end. And best to ask if they have something if it is not obvious - as fabric is tucked over, under other fabric, shelves and stairs. About 6 months ago I did go on a search for curtain hooks - starting in Ajijic - and finally ended up at this place 2 1/2 hours later - and found exactly what I was looking for. And I have found the above mentioned store behind the plaza - next to the ministerio - to be poorly stocked. Too bad - they have a good space - and that is about it from my perspective.

Were the hooks the pin type or the longer ones which I have been trying to find?

#13 Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

Were the hooks the pin type or the longer ones which I have been trying to find?

pin type - you might ask him if he can order the others if the other drapery shops don't carry

#14 JR0217

JR0217

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

Santa Teri area of Guad is the Fabric district of the city- VILVER is a great fabric store with 2 locations - carries quality designer fabrics at very reasonable prices for Mexico- Located on Manuel Acuna just 2 blocks from Ave. Mexico

I 2nd Vilver. Been there twice and bought beautiful, reasonable upholstery fabric. Have a chair and ottoman at the upholsterers now and the price for the labor is 800 pesos. Miguel is the best. He is about 3 doors east of the Coffee Tree on Hildago in Chapala. No sign, he is the first white garage door east of Coffee Tree. Just bang on the door. He speaks good english.
<!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->[/font]<i></i><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--> [font="Arial"]<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><i></i><i></i>Attitude is Everything

#15 evetoo

evetoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

We drove all the way past the airport on the carreterra and didn't see any water towers, much less a red ,white and blue one.

#16 imisnm

imisnm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

We drove all the way past the airport on the carreterra and didn't see any water towers, much less a red ,white and blue one.

I think they were referring to the huge Pepsi sign a few kilometers past Ixtlahuacan.

#17 evetoo

evetoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

LOL! That's a lot of difference from a water tower, a lot of driving for nothing. Oh well!

#18 solajijic

solajijic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
  • Interests:"..be careful. The line is likely to be very clear after you've crossed it."

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

I wonder if we could give directions using street google? That would be interesting to figure out. Used to be that clump of buildings with the fabric in it was the only thing around and you couldn't miss it, now I miss the Cajatitlan exit road if I am not looking closely.

#19 Deanne

Deanne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

I went there last year - am going back tomorrow - if I manage to find it again I'll get the GPS coordinates and put them on the site!

#20 Ellie

Ellie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:55 PM

LOL! That's a lot of difference from a water tower, a lot of driving for nothing. Oh well!

You drove right past it - no, it's not a huge water tower but a big ball with a Pepsi design on it BUT it does not say Pepsi. For years everyone I know has called it a water tower..... Just past that was a road to the right with a BRIGHT YELLOW building just off the road.... You missed it.... Don't remember if the building to the right of the yellow building is still painted orange - it used to be a fabric warehouse as well. Mexican directions - go slowly and look...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users