Chapala.com Webboard

Driving Directions from Nogales to Ajijic

stormcat

Hello: My wife and I are planning to drive to Ajijic in January; we will be crossing into Mexico at Nogales. Is anyone out there willing to share driving directions, good safe places to stay & eat while in transit and any do's and don'ts?

Thank you

The trip is really quite straightforward. Get a good map. There are two crossing at Nogales. If it is early in the day I cross downtown as there are banks with ATMs where you can get pesos. If later in the day take the truck (Mariposa) crossing. Follow highway 15 until you get to Tepic. Take the toll roads (cuota) rather than the libre (through towns). Then follow the signs to Guadalajara and Chapala. Don't drive at night so as evening approachs keep your eyes open for a decent looking place to stay. Likewise eat at places that look okay. Some people make the trip seem more complicated than it is.

I use the AAA map of Mexico. It is just fine.

Thank you for your reply. I have been unable to locate a good road map; can you suggest where I should look?

Thanks again

The trip is really quite straightforward. Get a good map. There are two crossing at Nogales. If it is early in the day I cross downtown as there are banks with ATMs where you can get pesos. If later in the day take the truck (Mariposa) crossing. Follow highway 15 until you get to Tepic. Take the toll roads (cuota) rather than the libre (through towns). Then follow the signs to Guadalajara and Chapala. Don't drive at night so as evening approachs keep your eyes open for a decent looking place to stay. Likewise eat at places that look okay. Some people make the trip seem more complicated than it is.

Just a reminder that there is an ATM and bank at KM7, the customs stop, on the Mariposa route. And a Cambio where you can get pesos at KM21, where you get the tourist visa and car permit.

I would avoid driving through Nogales. Mariposa is fast, simple and safe.

Thank you for your reply. I have been unable to locate a good road map; can you suggest where I should look?

Thanks again

Look in a good book store for maps by Guia Roji. They make excellent maps and atlases for all or parts of Mexico. Well worth the cost and trouble to find one.

Buen viaje!

I'll second the vote for Guia Roji and suggest that you use Google to find their site, where you can order online and get it by mail.

I suggest their Gran Atlas de Carreteras de Mexico.

Highly recommend the Best Western Los Arcos in Navajoa (between Obregon and Los Mochis), from where I'm writing at the moment. Very well appointed rooms, reliable internet, good restaurant. 600 pesos or less per night. It's on the north side of town, just after the bridge and on the right if you're headed south. Navajoa is a very nice town, lots of restaurants - although we really enjoy a little roadside taco stand called "Guilo" just about a block from the hotel. Four beers (it was hot) and six beef tacos (brimming with carne asada). all for just 145 pesos. One star for ambience, four for the food!

There is really no need to be nervous about driving in Mexico. If you should make a wrong turn, folks are very helpful and extremely friendly. Of course, they may be just as lost as you are, but they will give you friendly directions in every case. To avoid getting lost, you should study your route before setting out. Know all of the names of places along the way as well as places you will go toward but not actually enter. That way, you will recognize them on the big green signs and know to keep going toward them or to pass them by and start looking for the next familiar place (usually a large city) on your route.

You will want to be sure to restrict your driving to daylight hours in order to avoid animals, unlit vehicles, bikes and pedestrians. Oh yes, the occasional bandito, as well.

Try not to rush, be sure to enjoy rest stops and lunch stops as a part of your new adventure, and you will be just fine. Soon, after settling in, you will be planning road trips to other parts of Mexico just for the fun of it.

See the thread about the Federale at the airport trying to rip off someone picking up an arrival at 11PM.

Do NOT drive at night in this country, particularly if you are inexperienced. Some of the pot holes can swallow a car, there are animals and sometimes drunks wandering the roads at night. The banditos may be wearing police uniforms.

This place is basically open range. Many topes are unmarked and you can come up on them suddenly and unexpectedly.

You want to have enough light to see the pavement and the areas on either side of the road clearly.

This is such a timely topic for us. We are leaving this Sunday to make the move to Lakeside crossing at Nogales. I just ordered the Guia Roji atlas via mexicomaps.com and the owner Mark is going to Fedex it to our friends house in Phoenix. The only Mexico map we had was from the AAA and I am sure we will use this atlas many times over the years. The cost of the atlas is $29.95.

You have all given such great information. Because of reading this board we know to cross at the Mariposa crossing, where to stay along the route, where to eat, what hotels take dogs,etc. I thank everyone for taking some of the stress out the planning for this trip. I want to thank RVGRINGO for reminding us to "stop and smell the roses" along the way.

When you see a couple in the village or in Chapala with a funny looking, short-haried little dog that looks like a monkey (she is a Brussels Griffon) please stop and say hello.

Joni

post-12778-125078090362_thumb.jpg

Not to scare you, but check into your mexican auto insurance.

My sister had an accident this past January, and it took her 6 months to get everything completed. Her car was totalled, no injuries, but the paper work and the lack of help from the insurance company was shamfull.

find out what to do, who to call, in each type of incident. where adjustors are located along your route. Her adjustor was 110 miles away, and was extremmely lazy. If you are traveling on federal highways, which you will, the federal police has jurisdiction over state and local police.

Aduana (customs) is another issue, find out what you have to do to release your car IF it is detained, and you return to US.

Be prepared

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of other things that might help. Make copies of your vehicle title and registration prior (like at your NOB home) to getting your vehicle permit and tourist permit. this will save you time and expense (although small amount). Also I find it helpful to have small denominations of peso's to pay at the toll booths. (plan on spending close to $100 US (in pesos) for the toll roads from the border into Guadalajara. Also I usually stop at Wal-Mart in Nogales Arizona and buy snacks,water & drinks etc prior to crossing the border. I like crossing at the truck crossing,(BTW keep the receipt given to you at each toll booth(tow insurance on the autopisto) it will cover the expense of a tow truck in case you break down, I was towed once from 20 miles south of Obregon back to the city central and paid nothing, except a tip for the driver) saves a lot of traffic compared to going thru Nogales Mexico. First trip is interesting and a bit of adventure on Mexico 15, toll roads are good, and cover most 90% ?? of the trip.

Archived