Chapala.com Webboard

Tango

TBMascot

My wife and I wandered into Ajijic Tango last night after being clouded out at the pier for sunset.

Wednesday night and every table was occupied at 7:30pm. For the first time I really watched and paid attention to how this place works:

1) manager owner on duty and constantly moving around watching

2) none of the servers stand around- - -they're in constant movement

3) our server was a young girl who spoke totally accentless Spanish. From here but lived in Anaheim for 5 years. All of the servers are required to speak excellent English as well as Spanish. There's no language barrier on either end.

4) everyone gets a cold glass of water when seated. I don't know of any other restaurant at lakeside that does this.

5) we ordered cocktails. They were delivered quickly and were perfect.

6) another server brought us those divine little rolls with butter, spicy salza sauce and olive oil sauce before we ordered.

7) our server gave us time to drink before coming for the order.

8) we shared a hearts of palm salad that was exquisite and plentiful

9) when our steaks arrived they were exactly as ordered.

10)when our water glasses were half full another server promptly refilled them

11)when we were done with our meals the plates were promptly removed and the leftovers (enough for a second meal) were bagged

12)the lighting's perfect

13)two cocktails, a terrific salad that was enough for two, perfectly cooked steaks etc and all for $360+/- pesos.

Our server was as good as any I've had here or in the US. I tipped her $75 pesos.

When other restaurants are empty this one's full. When others go in and out of biz on a regular basis this one just keeps doing the same consistant service and quality through good times and bad and obviously keeps prospering.

So if all this is no secret. And if this is the most successful place in the area. Then how come when some of these other folks open a restaurant why don't they simply emulate what Tango does? When we go to a restaurant we always ask ourselves the basic question: "If this place was in the US would we eat there?" Tango, El Serape, 60's, pizza from Trattatoria and that's about it for me.

I suspect you're new here, but I/we have been saying that about many of the restaurants here when compared to Ajijic Tango.

Your quote on where you've eaten "Tango, El Serape, 60's, pizza from Trattatoria and that's about it for me." You have 4 times more restaurants to try before you can narrow them down to the above. El Serape is mediocre.

So try Hacienda Ajijic Steak place (operates much like Tango with equal food quality and service), Armando's, Ville de Arte, Manix, Los Telares, LaBodega, Roberto's, Ricki's Thai, Pedros, Tony's and one can never forget Panino for lunch.

I suspect you're new here, but I/we have been saying that about many of the restaurants here when compared to Ajijic Tango.

Your quote on where you've eaten "Tango, El Serape, 60's, pizza from Trattatoria and that's about it for me." You have 4 times more restaurants to try before you can narrow them down to the above. El Serape is mediocre.

So try Hacienda Ajijic Steak place (operates much like Tango with equal food quality and service), Armando's, Ville de Arte, Manix, Los Telares, LaBodega, Roberto's, Ricki's Thai, Pedros, Tony's and one can never forget Panino for lunch.

And please lets Not forget: La Tasca

John - as you have told us in the past that you do not like Mexican food, your judgement on El Serape is therefore suspect.

It has it's place in the restaurant field here for a place to find Northern Mexico food. We enjoy to eat there from time to time.

John, he said those were the BEST places they've eaten, not the ONLY places. I agree with Bournmouth concerning your comments on El Sarape. It's a good place with good service. And, it has good ribs and one of the BEST burgers in town.

Guest Gringal

I second Bournemouth's opinion on El Serape. However, if you don't like Mexican food, it wouldn't be the place to go. LOL.

Nice people, good service, freshly prepared and tasty food and drinks.

Dude, I'm anything but NEW here. If you read the op it says that there are the places I LIKE. All the places you mention are OK. But if you read the OP it

says "If this place was in the US would we eat there?" Tango, El Serape, 60's, pizza from Trattatoria and that's about it for me. The only place (IMHO) that'd survive in the US is Panino. The others would die fast deaths due to mediocraty, inconsistancy and lack of innovation. OK, I'll give you Roberto's but he can't possibly match the service at Tango.

John, he said those were the BEST places they've eaten, not the ONLY places. I agree with Bournmouth concerning your comments on El Sarape. It's a good place with good service. And, it has good ribs and one of the BEST burgers in town.

El Serape's got consistantly reliable service and food. And Marco, the owner is a terrifically personable guy who really works at putting out good food. He also makes the best margarita in town!

And La Tasca has gotten better and better with time. But I associate it more as a nightclub with good food than simply an eating place.

TBMascot quote - "The only place (IMHO) that'd survive in the US is Panino. The others would die fast deaths due to mediocraty, inconsistancy and lack of innovation. OK, I'll give you Roberto's but he can't possibly match the service at Tango."

Wrong again:

HACIENDA AJIJIC STEAK PLACE, one of the most consistent with high quality food and service equal to Ajijic Tango.

MANIX, one of the most consistent quality restaurants, high quallity with good service in Ajijic and the oldest.

RICKI'S THAI, operated by an owner from California who serves up quality, consistent food at most reasonable prices. It's full on weekends.

PANINO could survive anywhere.

ARMANDO'S, decent quality food, good service and some consider him the "best" in town, but I don't, but in the top 15.

Most restaurants in Ajijic lack innovation, especially true of any steakhouse.

TBMascot quote - "The only place (IMHO) that'd survive in the US is Panino. The others would die fast deaths due to mediocraty, inconsistancy and lack of innovation. OK, I'll give you Roberto's but he can't possibly match the service at Tango."

Wrong again:

HACIENDA AJIJIC STEAK PLACE, one of the most consistent with high quality food and service equal to Ajijic Tango.

MANIX, one of the most consistent quality restaurants, high quallity with good service in Ajijic and the oldest.

RICKI'S THAI, operated by an owner from California who serves up quality, consistent food at most reasonable prices. It's full on weekends.

PANINO could survive anywhere.

ARMANDO'S, decent quality food, good service and some consider him the "best" in town, but I don't, but in the top 15.

Most restaurants in Ajijic lack innovation, especially true of any steakhouse.

None would make it in the US and that was my chain of thought. And as far as innovation goes, a steak house that serves hearts of palm salad as well as some of the other innovative dishes that Tango serves certainly shows that innovation stuff. I don't want to argue with you. You're welcome to your opinion and I'm welcome to mine. Even if you think it's wrong. My OP was simply to point out that Tango does so many things right where others do so many things wrong. Bye

Paul - The only way to be guaranteed a table is to make reservations like we, our Dinner group, do as Tango is the busiest restaurant in town. I would never wait for a table, no matter how good the food would be at any restaurant.

Their number: 766 2458

None would make it in the US and that was my chain of thought. And as far as innovation goes, a steak house that serves hearts of palm salad as well as some of the other innovative dishes that Tango serves certainly shows that innovation stuff. I don't want to argue with you. You're welcome to your opinion and I'm welcome to mine. Even if you think it's wrong. My OP was simply to point out that Tango does so many things right where others do so many things wrong. Bye

Not at all to disagree on the quality of service or food at Ajijic Tango, but as far as innovation goes, Tango is one more example of an Argentine steakhouse that can be found all over Buenos Aries—all with pretty much the same menus. And just as successful models elsewhere, this type of restaurant has been exported worldwide—I think that the best local example is La Matara in Guadalajara.

Guest Gringal

The question of whether any of the favored restaurants here would make it in the states: consider what you'd have to pay in the states for a very good steak dinner.

Or even a big pizza, or a good sandwich. We are in hog heaven, price wise.

Tango is a shining example of how a restaurant should be run, but for those of us who are only occasional steak eaters, it also has other delicious offerings, like the spinach canneloni and veggie lasagna. I think that's one of their strong points: something for everybody.

Little Plug here: For those who say they like the pizza at various places, they may have missed the best in town: La Creperie on Colon. Special pizzas right now with 5 ingredients, enough for three people, great crust and quality toppings. Best pepperoni and salami I've had. 80 pesos. Went there Monday night with friends and we were delighted with the food. Their crepe specialties are also very good.

I think that the most important factor in a successful restaurant (beyond the obvious quality of the food) is that the owner or manager is on site all the time. Tango, #4, Trattoria Ajijic, 60's, Early Bird and others recognize this.

Now be honest, the Tango is horrible and if you haven't eaten there you should not start now.

Work with me people, it will be easier to get a table :rolleyes:

name me one dish that is superior product in mannix, and ill return. it is like eating in a bad southern small town restaurant. no seasoning, everything on the plate running into everything else. average home cooking at best.

oh, and steak houses are not restaurants. they are called steak houses for a reason.

John - as you have told us in the past that you do not like Mexican food, your judgement on El Serape is therefore suspect.

It has it's place in the restaurant field here for a place to find Northern Mexico food. We enjoy to eat there from time to time.

I consider El Serape Tex-Mex and I am from Texas. I agree with the person who said it is mediocre. That is why it is not usually very busy. However, having said that we do eat there very occassionally.

• 2 weeks later...
We are in hog heaven, price wise.

Gringal, after we've been traveling up here in the U.S. for three months, I can tell you from direct experience that this qualifies as a Level 1 understatement. Unbelievable how expensive it is to eat out up here and how mediocre much of the food is.

Count your blessings, folks. We can't wait to get home.

Archived