Chapala.com Webboard

Gluten Free Food

colonel

Something not mentioned in the refered-to-thread is that Super Lake also stocks the Tinkyada brand pasta (spirals & spagetti) made from brown rice that I use often - takes a bit longer to cook but keep tasting it until it's done enough to your satisfaction. Also when you crave pizza SL usually has a couple of GF pizza 'kits' (Bob's Red Mill is one) that work out well.

Agree with zapatoviejo, Tinkyada is hands down the best GF pasta available. Maybe anywhere.

I've been searching for GF foods here since Sept and I've found SL to have the best and the best selection. Not only that, more and more are arriving everyday.

I wrote a post about SL and GF on my blog, maybe there is something there for you. If you go to Mexican Trailrunner and in the search bar up at the top right type 'celiac' 3 or 4 posts will come up with local information for you.

Best of luck to you, I can tell you what people told me and that's just keep doing it and it will get easier and easier. They were right! Hope you feel better. Now if I could just quit losing my hair. . .

• 1 year later...

Don't know if you an order from amazon down there, but they have Pamela's "flour" mix for baking and pancakes too. It is good! I will be moving down soon and will have the same dilemma to solve. I guess i better learn how to make my own alternative flours!

SuperLake sells very good gluten-free bread for 59 pesos. It was actually cheaper here at SL than when I was buying it at a health food store on Vancouver Island in British Columbia.

The availability of so much fresh produce here makes it easier to be GF.

SuperLake sells very good gluten-free bread for 59 pesos. It was actually cheaper here at SL than when I was buying it at a health food store on Vancouver Island in British Columbia.

The availability of so much fresh produce here makes it easier to be GF.

Where is it at Super Lake?

You can find the GF bread on the bread rack opposite the deli meat counter in the back of Super Lake. It's comes in a whole loaf and is wrapped in plastic wrap. It's re-stocked on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you go to the Tuesday Farmers Market at Laguna Mall and start asking around you'll find lots of GF products and information. Look for Jimmy - she grinds her own flour.

Barabara's Milagros at the Tuesday market sells a number of gluten free items; breads, and pre-prepared little dinners. Delicious. She has a web site under that name.

You may want to email or phone Barbara at the numbers below to get on her mailing list. She sends out a weekly menu in advance and prefers customers to pre-order so you are sure to reserve your choices.

or phone (376) 766-1915

Archived