Chapala.com Webboard

New Chinese restaurant

Shira

The terrible Chinese restaurant at Laguna Mall is gone. In its place is a new Chinese restaurant that someone was raving about last night. She said that while she was there a Chinese woman who was eating there spoke to the owner in Chinese before she left.

Has anyone tried it? I am going Tuesday and will report in afterwards.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope that the woman who was speaking Chinese with the owner wasn't saying something like, "These ignorant old foreigners will eat anything, just give them whatever is left over in the refrigerator and call it by a Chinese name."

I will be eager to read your report, Shira.

Let's hope that the woman who was speaking Chinese with the owner wasn't saying something like, "These ignorant old foreigners will eat anything, just give them whatever is left over in the refrigerator and call it by a Chinese name."

Best post of the week award! LOL

I will be eager to read your report, Shira.

I've always worried it was whatever they found in the ally behind the restaurant!

The worst is the leftovers in the fridge from whatever they found in the alley :) Now top that!!! (Oh, I know...they left it out...forgot to put it in the fridge)

If they find really good stuff in the alley, there are seldom any leftovers! Sorry. Enough.

Today I decided to do a public service for y'all and try the new Chinese place in the Laguna Mall.

For 55 pesos, you get two dishes and a large pile of semi-fried rice. I had some kind of mushroom chicken and a veggie chicken.

Spouse had the veggie chicken and noodles.

Very salty, greasy, and VERY funky chicken parts, including gristle and even a little bone.

We arrived just after noon, just after opening, so it was as fresh as it was going to be. The veggies were plentiful and crispy. The portions were large.

We won't be back.

Today I decided to do a public service for y'all and try the new Chinese place in the Laguna Mall.

For 55 pesos, you get two dishes and a large pile of semi-fried rice. I had some kind of mushroom chicken and a veggie chicken.

Spouse had the veggie chicken and noodles.

Very salty, greasy, and VERY funky chicken parts, including gristle and even a little bone.

We arrived just after noon, just after opening, so it was as fresh as it was going to be. The veggies were plentiful and crispy. The portions were large.

We won't be back.

It sounds like it was better before. Any time I got take away there it was good.

Yikes, when parts are really parts. Yuck. I'll go try veggie or shrimp dishes. Thanks for letting us know, Gringal.

You know, long, squiggly pieces with bits of gristle......those parts. lol.

The veggies were plentiful and not over-oniony. Snow peas, cauliflower, carrots, and so on. It had the chicken in it, also.

My objection was the overly salty and greasiness of the food. And personally, I'd be a bit wary of shrimp dishes in a place that's not busy, but it may be okay.

Nobody flies under the radar on this board...everybody means business... :rolleyes: (but we're pretty nice when you meet us in person)

Some of the most acerbic comments are made by some of the nicest people. A thin skin doesn't wear well in these parts.

Pollyana would probably get a rough ride on this board :unsure:

Biénvenido a México

Wow you people are really harsh critics - hope I am never in your line of fire.

We are trying to give others on the board the truth so they don't waste their money. Nothing harsh about it.

This Chinese restaurant just doesn't make the cut, but I would have been delighted to have had a good experience to report instead.

I'm really sorry to hear that this place hasn't learned from the mistakes of the one it replaced.

When I pick up Chinese "fast food," it doesn´t take a lot to please me. My two biggest gripes are meat bits that are pure gristle or bone and come from some questionable part of the animal and food that´s barely tepid.

I would willingly pay a bit more if it meant that they´d turn on the heat lamps and toss the gristle out. I hate (with a passion) to cook, so I don´t demand a lot of my food, but it does have to be edible.

I'm really sorry to hear that this place hasn't learned from the mistakes of the one it replaced. When I pick up Chinese "fast food," it doesn´t take a lot to please me. My two biggest gripes are meat bits that are pure gristle or bone and come from some questionable part of the animal and food that´s barely tepid. I would willingly pay a bit more if it meant that they´d turn on the heat lamps and toss the gristle out. I hate (with a passion) to cook, so I don´t demand a lot of my food, but it does have to be edible.

I'd GLADLY pay more for better Chinese fast or slow food. I'm picky but no cheapskate. Chomping down on more than one gristly piece spoils my interest in the dish. The plates come with fried rice, but what that means is that plain rice has a load of soy sauce added and is fried. For an example of what the chicken pieces ought to look like: Yves' taco salad with chicken has a selection of tiny squares of white meat chicken, all tender and tasty, topping a mixture of lettuce, shredded carrots, tomatoes and guacamole with a delicious sauce and crema on the side. 75 pesos and very well worth it. For a positive experience I'm glad to plug.....go try it!

We are trying to give others on the board the truth so they don't waste their money. Nothing harsh about it.

This Chinese restaurant just doesn't make the cut, but I would have been delighted to have had a good experience to report instead.

Fair enough - will get used to it soon enough - guess I should appreciate knowing where not to waste my money - so thank you!

The best Chinese food I've eaten lakeside is in Jocotopec, The Red Dragon. Might I say that when a restaurant first opens they sometimes need to work out the kinks, line up the proper suppliers and learn what it is their clients expect and desire. Give them a month and I'd try them again. I'ts my opinion having been on both sides of the kitchen. Salud!

Shira, you know I respect your opinions. But this is exactly the same Chinese take out place it's always been. Same name, same signs, same Asian girl speaking Spanish... and same food. Bight some there today; same as always. Not great, but it'll do until the real thing comes along. Joco is much better, but not nearly as easy to get to.

Archived