Facebook:

Sonora's Meat Ajijic

http://www.facebook....norasMeatAjijic

http://www.sonorameat.com

post-16540-0-98087900-1329682973_thumb.j

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, the Rib Eye was good, not great. You sure couldn't cut it with a fork. I'd rate it at the level of USDA Choice. A good piece of meat but nothing like aged Prime. Which BTW is selling for way too close to $20 per pound up north these days. For a little more than a third of that, I'll chew a little more. :)

The Chorizo was excellent, really good. If you are a chorizo fan, worth stopping to buy that there all by itself.

This place is superior to Tonys and actually acts like they want your business, in contrast to Tonys. The staff is really nice!

Easy to park in front. Hopefully, they'll broaden their selection.

We'll be getting our weekly steak there from here on out. Please support the place!

Point of clarification: This place is on the NORTH side of the street, next to Johanna's restaurant.

Very nice shop but they don't seem to have much to sell yet. Also is a restaurant AND a carry out.

We're having the Rib Eye tonight, will report back.

Thanks for clarifying this. We looked and looked and didn't see the place. We'll find it next time thanks to you!

Is this part of the Sonora's Meat we have in Vallarta? Franchise or another owned location perhaps? Very good meat there.

So glad that there is now more competition to Tony' Meats. Am not too fond of the customer service at Tony's. I've always felt the son had a surly and condescending attitude although I always came in with a friendly face.

I was hopeful that we could now get prime, AGED, beef in these parts. So disappointing that Sonora can't supply what many of us want.

Since Sonora does not offer AGED steaks, I will continue to get my steaks from Costco....with the #1855 printed on the label which designates prime USDA approved beef. They're not cheap...but we've always felt these were the best steaks to be found here at Lakeside.

I am happy to know Sonora is locating here. I will visit them for chorizo and other cuts of meat.

Next visit to Sonora's, we will inquire as to whether there was a miscommunication re: aged vs. fresh meat. It could be that "aged" was taken to mean "old" or "rotten" or something like that, thus the response that their meat is "fresh", vacuum packed, etc.. ( We have been aficionados of great steak houses all over the U.S., and the bone-in filet from Sonora's was definitely in the same league.)

Finding true aged beef would be surprising. The process requires coolers with regulated humidity, daily attention to rotating and inspection and the weight loss due to dehydration and the final trimming makes it very expensive. Additionally true aged beef is an aquired taste, many would consider the "tang" in the taste would indicate it is spoiled. The industry claims wet aging in cryovac bags gives the same result, that isn't the case. Most people are used to wet aged beef, USDA Choice being a top end product.

You are absolutely correct, Zerbit. When I think of "fresh" beef, I think of the "fresh off the hoof" beef in stews and taro-wrapped lau lau I know from a friend's ranch on the Big Island. Sonora's beef doesn't have the "tang" of the beef you describe, but it sure doesn't have the texture and flavor of "fresh off the hoof" beef either.

Meat packers use the cryovac 'wet' aging process and the meat is usually 7-10 days in the bag before offered for sale. Transportation, etc. I get fresh local grass-fed and 'wet' age it myself for 21-28 days depending on source (I found 3 local butchers that grow their own beef). Works well. May try some 'dry' aging as have contacts to do so. It is expensive as about 30% of original weight is lost to trimming and shrink.

As far as roasts go, have been supplying friends with rib, tri tip and blade chuck roasts. Also pork roasts bone in and out. Pot roast can be any of above. All grass-fed, no clembuterol or other bad stuff. Friends are well pleased.

Check with Maria Elena's meat table at Tuesday tianguis.

As far as roasts go, have been supplying friends with rib, tri tip and blade chuck roasts. Also pork roasts bone in and out. Pot roast can be any of above. All grass-fed, no clembuterol or other bad stuff. Friends are well pleased.

Check with Maria Elena's meat table at Tuesday tianguis.

Oh I would so love having a good chuck and pork roast. Do I order from you or Maria Elena's?

Drop by and see Marie Elena at tianguis or drop me a note and I'll get cuts to her. Will start handling brisket again. Have had it in past. No problema. Looking for bone-in or out for pork roast? Any size preferred for all of above? One kg. or more?Grass fed except for pork. All are fresh and not frozen.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've tried the meat here three times and been happy. First a couple of New Yorks, then a couple of filets. Yesterday I bought some Vacio, marinated it overnight and threw it on the BBQ this afternoon. Really great. For me, the vacio behaved very much like a Tri-Tip on the grill (even though I believe they are completely different cuts).

Tio above has me curious about the availability of Tri-Tip, but I'm just not an organized enough human being to do things like special order cuts of meat. The people who run Sonora are really helpful and friendly also.

Finally got around to cooking my Tri-Tip roast today (1 1/2 kg). Been aging it. OK, I forgot about it... Plugged in trusty thermometer and took out of oven (in my local clay skillet/frying pan/et al which I love) when reached 140. I like mine a little on rare side. I was pleasantly surprised as was first I'd done here. Turned out more like Med Rare/Med. A little commercial horseradish sauce (plus local stuff) that worked well. Texture between brisket and rib roast. Flavor worked for me, too. Will do some tortas or other with left overs.

Travis...good pick up. Vacio and Tri-Tip differ in how they are cut. Come from same general area. How do you marinate?

Travis...good pick up. Vacio and Tri-Tip differ in how they are cut. Come from same general area. How do you marinate?

I was hoping to recreate a grilled Tri-Tip like roast, since I used to cook those all the time in the U.S., and it worked out pretty well. I was probably a little less than a kilo, about 1 1/2"-2" thickness max. Grilled it for just ten minutes because I didn't want to ruin it, let it rest, cut into it and it was too rare so gave it five minutes more and it turned out a perfect rare throughout.

Didn't do anything special marinade-wise. Just put a little salt and a lot of pepper on it, then dumped some commercial teriyaki sauce over it - J.E.S. brand - and stuck it in the refri overnight. It was tasty. Now that I know the meat is worth it, I may go to more effort next time.

Archived