Chapala.com Webboard

Receiving TIP deposit back

milned

Is it possible to find out before reaching the border if our TIP deposit from 2011 will be returned? Went to the SAT site and found our status as "05 extension." What does that mean? Thanks for any help with this.

I think it means that your TIP is still valid and hence when you turn it in, you should get your refund.

We had no problem at all getting ours when we took our U.S. car out of the country. Took less than a week for it to show up on our credit card.

I was shocked. :)

They have been stealing deposits and making it hard to get them back this year using every dirty trick in the book.

So anything we can do now before they try to keep our deposit? Any idea what we might get "hit with" as a reason to keep it?

If their site shows your extension valid you have a good chance of getting it back,

So anything we can do now before they try to keep our deposit? Any idea what we might get "hit with" as a reason to keep it?

People who want to preserve their post-June 2010 TIP deposits can send prompt written notification of every renewal of their INM cards, notifying Aduana of their INM permit's new expiration date. Aduana cautions that we need to have the notification letter arrive at Aduana within 2 weeks of INM issuing the new permit, because Banjercito's computer automatically confiscates the TIP deposit 2 weeks after the prior expiration date. It's tough to get the $$ refunded once Banjercito has confiscated the deposit.

It's tough to get the $$ refunded once Banjercito has confiscated the deposit.

Maybe the better word would be "impossible". Spencer has been trying to get my deposit back for over a year now.

I will write a big exposee revealing all in the next few hours

Hi Spencer

We entered with car in Oct 2009 with deposit against an old credit card to be Debited if we did not remove it: Subsequently we both rec'd our FM3,s. Car, a 2001 is in spouses name. Through your office, I have become Permanent to her Temporale so we could continue leaving our Non NAFTA vehicle. I have been stopped, showed all documents & was fined for a traffic violation which I paid. No questions about our TIP, this was 2011/12.

I recall that the TIP's at the time of issue, 2009 did not have an expiration date? Is that correct or was it some extended period? Spouse renews Temporale Visa Dec 2015 or she can go Permanent if car is Nationalized.

Are we in some danger of fines or confiscations of the vehicle if stopped or on filing for Nationalization?

Thanks for all your assistance!

I recall that the TIP's at the time of issue, 2009 did not have an expiration date? Is that correct or was it some extended period?

Are we in some danger of fines or confiscations of the vehicle if stopped or on filing for Nationalization?

I've been getting TIPs for 15 years and they have always had an expiration date.... which was the same as the original FM-T's expiration. IF, when your spouce went from FM-T to FM-3, and he/she kept Aduana updated each year as to his/her immigration status then 'probably' you are OK. I say 'probably' because in Mexico no one can be assured of these things. There is a website that can be checked to see the status of that TIP.

I am a bit confused by your question about Nationalization... one cannot Nationalize a non-NAFTA vehicle these days. There was a small window of time when one could, and maybe it will come back some day, but......

Archived