Chapala.com Webboard

Hello,

This is to ask if anyone Lakeside is missing what appears to be a part Lab/ basset hound mix. On the shorter end of medium size, medium brown coat. Very energetic, neutered male dog. Very friendly dog,

good with animals and people, rarely barks. Anyone missing such an animal? It was picked up in Jocotepec and brought to a vet in Riberas/ San Antonio.

I have a photo but can't figure out how to include it.

NMM, I mean this very respectfully and in no way want to criticize. I notice you only have done 5 posts, and wonder if you are new here. I ask because many, many loose dogs here belong to someone. It is quite normal for dogs to be loose in Mexico. If this dog does not appear to be in crisis, not starving, not gravely injured, etc, it's entirely possible it should be left where it was found. Some Mexican family in Jocotepec may very well be looking for their pet. Many dogs spend their days on the loose, but return to their "home" at night. It is not at all the same as NOB. I'm wondering about the wisdom of picking up a dog in Joco and bringing it to Riberas? If this dog belongs to a Mexican family in Joco, the chances of them finding that dog on this web board are very, very slim. Many "street dogs" in Mexico are quite happy and well adjusted, including many, many loose dogs in my neighborhood.

My number of postings shouldn't matter. I posted this because my husband and I had just lost our sweet dog who died, and went to a vet who sometimes has dogs to adopt, in the hope of getting one. The vet showed us a dog that had been injured in Joco and brought to him for treatment. The vet said no one had claimed the animal. There could be many reasons for that. The dog has been well taken care of and trained; my husband and I felt someone may be searching for him, but had no clue where he was. Hence the post. The dog is staying with us unless someone claims it.

My concern is also that many street dogs end up getting poisoned, taken to a different neighborhood, or run over. I live in a Mexican neighborhood and see it far too often in the 11 years I've lived here.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but those of us who volunteer at local shelters have become a bit more realistic about the "problem" of street dogs and dogs who run loose. As datura pointed out, "If this dog does not appear to be in crisis, not starving, not gravely injured, etc, it's entirely possible it should be left where it was found." Unless someone has an unlimited source of funds (and none of us do) most street dogs do not need to be rescued.

The dog you are posting about was injured but almost certainly belongs to someone in Joco. Was he picked up in the town of Jocotopec or one of the other villages? There are several Vets in Joco municipality so posting a Found Dog flyer with a photo might well locate the owners. Maybe someone who lives in Joco could post a list. There used to be a couple of Pet stores but I don't know if they are still in business. That would be another good place for flyers. He sounds like an unusual dog that someone might well recognize if they saw him.

Here is a link to the "How to post a picture" so it is more likely that someone who knows the owner will see him. http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=32112

My number of postings shouldn't matter. I posted this because my husband and I had just lost our sweet dog who died, and went to a vet who sometimes has dogs to adopt, in the hope of getting one. The vet showed us a dog that had been injured in Joco and brought to him for treatment. The vet said no one had claimed the animal. There could be many reasons for that. The dog has been well taken care of and trained; my husband and I felt someone may be searching for him, but had no clue where he was. Hence the post. The dog is staying with us unless someone claims it.

My concern is also that many street dogs end up getting poisoned, taken to a different neighborhood, or run over. I live in a Mexican neighborhood and see it far too often in the 11 years I've lived here.

I have to agree with you 100%. I would also like to thank you for caring enough and do hope that he will be able to stay with you and your husband and have a great life.

In our 8 years here we have taken in a rather large family and do not regret it. I can tell you that our dogs certainly do not regret it either.

Thank you again for caring.

A woman I knew slightly was puzzled as to why neighbor kids were throwing rocks at her and yelling at her. A Spanish-speaking friend went over and talked with the kids. "Why did she steal our dog?" the kids asked. When questioned, the woman said she had "rescued" the dog because it was dirty and matted. She gave it a wonderful new home. In her eyes she was a rescuer. To the children she was a dog thief.

NMM - I am sorry for the loss of your family dog. It always is a difficult time in our lives.

I understand that you want to help this new found dog at the Vet's office,

and do what is best for him..

Since we do not know who / what person took the injured dog from Joco to a Vet a relatively far distance away ,

we can not ask questions about the location where the animal was found.

It was very kind of the person to worry and pay for the Vet care of this injured dog.

And we can not know if that person posted any 'found dog' postings in that 'found' ,

which would have been a good idea.. and been helpful for the owner try to locate his lost dog.

Since the dog appears to have been well cared for , friendly with people and other dogs, and especially since he is neutered,

we should at least work on the assumption he had an owner at the time he was taken off the street with an injury.

Let's work together to try to do a search for that owner in the area of Joco.

Can someone help NMM with posting a picture of this dog on this website

[ and Westenders ] to help with the owner search ..

[ sorry my tecky skills are in the basement]

Many people at the west end of the lake rely on " their" West Enders' website

a bit more than this website.

So, helpful people out there, do you know someone who posts on West Enders ?

can you ask that person / your friend to post a notice about this" found dog" on that web board.

Not everyone reads web boards..

so, NMM I would suggest that a some " Found Dog " pictured posters

be placed in a few central areas of Joco plaza, pet food stores, Vet office, etc..

to do diligence searching for this dog's owner.

IF this effort does not succeed in locating the dog's owner after a period of time ,

then knowing that all that could be done , was done,

then this dog will have a new welcoming home, and everyone will have worked together for a resolution..

A woman I knew slightly was puzzled as to why neighbor kids were throwing rocks at her and yelling at her. A Spanish-speaking friend went over and talked with the kids. "Why did she steal our dog?" the kids asked. When questioned, the woman said she had "rescued" the dog because it was dirty and matted. She gave it a wonderful new home. In her eyes she was a rescuer. To the children she was a dog thief.

Gee, I wonder what the dog thought?

datura meant only that if you hadn't been here long, perhaps you were unaware of the overall "loose dog" situation. I thought that was very thoughtful of her. Since your first post would appear to indicate that you were the finder, I thought it was a smart and well-intentioned answer.

She didn't pick the dog up on the street she rescued it from a vet because no one claimed her. Lighten up folks. To the OP perhaps put a few posters with ner pic up in Joco and at the vet's office to see if a family is looking for her.

Archived