Chapala.com Webboard

Another excellent article about Mexico

gimpychimp

Ajijic,

How do you balance the economic benefits of living in Mexico against your concern and focus on the dangers and violence in living in Mexico? You spend a lot of time researching and keeping up with the news of violence, and I do not blame you. The violence is very real and the danger for women and girls especially so. You have a wife and daughter that you are responsible for. You have the ability to take them to Canada where they would be much safer. Though, it may be more difficult financially, it would be safer and there would be benefits such as affordable healthcare and education.

Do you ever consider doing that? Would you if the violence increased in your area?

I think it would take a lot for me to move, but I don't have to worry about any children.

Two 20 something nieces are visiting me soon and I already decided we will stick close to home and really not go out much at night. No road trips. I would die if anything happened to them while visiting me.

Ajijic,

you are comparing apples to oranges and I'm surprised that you can't see the difference between the two. One article is about Canadian tourists and how they should feel safe having a vacation in Mexico. The other article is about the deplorable treatment of Mexican women in Mexico. Those are two entirely different topics.

ValGal good question and like you if anything happened to my wife and daughter I would be worse than devastated.

Financially we could manage in Canada but getting my wife and step-daughter there would not be easy and there is birth father involved.

I balance it by we personally feel safe. But at same time what is happening in Mexico to me and my wife is deplorable. The social injustice, the corruption, the violence. But we are not directly affected although her family are and we are very aware and saddened as we see no improvement in the near future.

My wife has been to Canada twice in the winter and could never tolerate the cold. But it was an eye opener abd beautifil to her but the seven foot snow banks in Wasaga Beach well was $%#!@ lol. Last year twice we were in the US and she came back with a whole new perspective after adding that experience to her trip to Canada. She loves Mexico but now sees the warts that most Mexicans never see as they are unable tto travel outside of the coun try and are poor and lack education.

If it got worse we hoenstly have no idea where we would go as Canada is out and unable to live in the US even though i worked there. unfortunately, one issue was never a "green" card. I love NM.

ValGal and if you left where would you go?

Gimpychimp I am surprised you do not see the connection. Women often are not treated as equals in Mexico. My wife goes to the Seguro Popular with expats to translate. Often when she goes she sees the police there and another women with bruises, swollen faces, cuts due to domestic violence. This ties back to the Canadian women who's face was beaten to a pulp and where she almost died. How many Mexican men treat women is as per the article I posted and that obviously goes to foreigners.

Those crimes which are reported in SMA are subsequently reported in the Atencion. Domestic violence is the highest reported crime most weeks in that newspaper.

No, sorry but I really do not see the connection between the 2 stories. The first is not a story about violence against women. The story wasn't really about only what happened to the Calgary woman. Its about ALL tourists and how the odds of anything terrible happening to them while on vacation down here are quite minimal considering the numbers of tourists involved. The most recent tourist violence story involved a woman but the majority of them involve men being hurt or killed. Of course if people stayed a little more sober on vacation and used a little more common sense while in unknown territory or dangerous situations like robberies, even less bad things would happen. But that's another story.

The story you posted is about Mexican women being made to disappear and their families never hearing from them again, or being taken and abused badly in many ways. That story is about Mexicans hurting Mexicans. I don't dispute whatsoever what you're saying about domestic violence in Mexico. Its prevalent here and all over the world. It's deplorable. Agreed. But that doesn't mean that people can't come to Mexico and have a nice vacation, does it? People go to Canada and the U.S. and have wonderful vacations all the time, even though plenty of men beat their wives up there. Now and again some tourists get hurt there too.

I'm from the murder capital of Canada, Edmonton, where there were 47 murders last year. That doesn't mean I would hesitate to go back for even a moment, if it weren't for the nasty weather up there! I would never be afraid in Edmonton, and I don't think that Edmontonians should be afraid to come here either. If you use good judgement and are careful about where you go and who you hang around with once you get there, ( or here ) there is very little chance of taking a beating. ( Or worse )

Just my two cents about where I would move to if not Chapala. I would say somewhere else in Mexico or in the United States. But I was also seriously thinking about moving to Israel.

Most of my family think I am crazy for choosing either one.

G

The article does not mention this and this is only the reported kidnappings:

An average of 49 kidnappings per day occurred in Mexico in 2011, marking a significant increase from the prior year, the Council for Law and Human Rights, or CLDH, said in a report released late last month.

A total of 17,889 kidnappings occurred in Mexico last year, up 32 percent from the 13,505 abductions registered in 2010, the non-governmental organization said.

The figures do not include “express kidnappings,” in which a victim is held for only a few hours, the CLDH said.

Hundreds of express kidnappings occur in Mexico City daily, with taxi drivers usually assisting the criminals, the NGO said.

About one-third of the kidnappers arrested by the Federal Police, according to official figures, have links to drug cartels.

• 2 weeks later...
About one-third of the kidnappers arrested by the Federal Police, according to official figures, have links to drug cartels.

The other two-thirds have links to local police.

Probably not that much, but a lot.

Archived