Chapala.com Webboard

New Photo Requirments - Immigration

lostdutchman

I don't know whether this has been addressed yet or not. Posting this in case others might need the information.

I had to go to the Immigraiton Office in Chapala yesterday to make changes regarding my current visa.

There is a notice posted both in Spanish and English which states that as of August 1, 2014, ONLY photos taken by a photo studio will be permitted. Any "instant" photos or photos from Farmacia Guadaljara will NOT be allowed.

Sorrowful performance by a gringo who sat right in front of that sign for over half an hour and then presented his documentation. When he was verbally advised that he would have to submit other photographs, the show began. Not nice. We all know the deal.

This happened a few years ago, the photographer at the drug store was not professional and was taking photos, with head at an angle,

not straight forward.

immigration can look at the photos and see they are not straight on and refuse them.

so I started to use only the photographer in Chapala

they can also tell by the envelope they are in.

The old take them out of the envelope trick does not work anymore, even some photo studios do poor quality photos and those will be rejected so please prepare and plan ahead.

I was there at the same time as the OP & witnessed the :() yelling. I had photos from the same place that weren't in the envelope & they were rejected. Those have a shiny finish which screws up the picture when it's laminated so I went to a photographer in Chapala & took them in this AM. No problems now.

So what's the increase in price between the Farmacia and an approved kind of photographer?

Lexy

About fifty pesos.I paid a studio in Guadalajara a hundred pesos last year.

I asked about it a few years back,the INM guy told me that sometimes the heat applied during the lamination process blurred the photos on poor quality paper.

When I told my Mexican step-daughter that most if not all government services in the States have their own cameras which produce near-instant laminated cards with photo, she told me it was the same here in Mexico when she got her national ID 3 years ago,

She then asked the logical question: If the federal government here in Mexico can do this for the national ID, why can't they do it for everything else as well?

Disguised unemployment was the only answer I could think of.

Just to make this series of posts complete, would people please post which photographers in Chapala they used? I seem to remember a guy on a side street, a guy next to the cow on the east side of the main blvd., and a guy across the street on the west side, but more ID would be desirable.

I've always used Foto Luz, which is by the cow on the east side of the main boulevard in Chapala. I got some done recently, they are 100 pesos. She's nice, and she's good. I've never had a problem. For newcomers not familiar with the cow, as you take the main boulevard from the stop light in Chapala toward Soriana, on your right a couple of blocks up is a vet with a big black and white cow statue out front. That's the cow...

Archived