Chapala.com Webboard

Peso dropping

redpepper

The Guad Reporter publishes a market basket of grocery prices. Over the past 3 years there is a small increase in prices while the exchange rate of the peso has ranged from 11 to 15. Nothing drastic.

I have also noticed that the published numbers in the paper do not reflect the price I pay for items, which is always up, up, up..there is no atempt in MX to control price hikes!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Guad Reporter publishes a market basket of grocery prices. Over the past 3 years there is a small increase in prices while the exchange rate of the peso has ranged from 11 to 15. Nothing drastic.

Tom, I don't know where the Reporter is shopping, but at the tianguis where I shop regularly, prices have more than doubled. Price hikes have been pretty much out of sight since the end of 2007. Most newspapers publish government-provide "inflation" rates, but like many things in Mexico, the stats are manipulated to...well, I'm not really sure why, other than to make us think we are all nuts when our money flies out the door about three times faster than it used to.

I remember getting a rotisserie chicken with all the sides for our first Christmas dinner in Ajijic - in 2008 - from Lupita's. It cost 55 pesos. Same chicken and sides in 2011 = 110 pesos.

And in 1999, the same package was 35 pesos.

I remember getting a rotisserie chicken with all the sides for our first Christmas dinner in Ajijic - in 2008 - from Lupita's. It cost 55 pesos. Same chicken and sides in 2011 = 110 pesos.

Just picked up a roasted chicken at one of the Walmart's here in Puerto Vallarta. No sides but two whole chickens for $105 pesos and delicious!

Maybe Lupita is trying to save up for retirement. The price of chicken in April 12 was $24.90/kg vs $22.50/kg in April 2010 at Soriana.

I have no argument with the price Lupita charges for her chicken with sides and tortillas. Her chickens have always been the best in town. If she's still roasting them with potatoes under the spit, the potatoes alone are worth the price. Her rice is also delicious, as are her macaroni salad, salsa, and cole slaw.

I figure you still get a deal, even at the 2012 price. If two of you can polish off one of her chickens and everything that comes with it for comida, it's still only 55 pesos a meal, plus whatever you're drinking.

And for what it's worth, the rosticerĆ­a where we buy roast chicken in our Mexico City neighborhood charges 75 pesos just for the chicken, salsa, and tortillas. No sides. But the chicken is melt-in-your-mouth delicious, tender and juicy and--oops, I might have to go get one!

And since yesterday, a very new development that might influence the value of the peso big time.

In a recent survey, AMLO appears to have a good chance now to become president of Mexico, something that nobody would have predicted a couple of months ago. That is definetly changing the value of the peso and if his chances remain high and he actually becomes president, you will see a a very important drop in its value (peso).

Something to follow up !!

Everything happening right now is to do with the strength of the US$ as a safe haven. Even the C$ is down 5% in a month just as is the MXN pesos approx is down but that makes Canadian businesses very happy.

Polls in Mexico are highly skewed and the election is a month away.

No, Ajijic, not anymore. You were right until 2 days ago.... Now, that is only part (Europe debt crisis) of the story.

From now on you have to watch the AMLO candidate. The markets donĀ“t like a "left" president. This has become an internal (Mexican) affair. Very interesting times.

Maybe some of you should look at the Mexican central bank policy on supporting the peso! That is why the peso has been dropping from 14.60 at 5 am to its current 14.27! And Mr know-it-all the lack of participation in the stock market is not the reason for the fall of the peso but rather the fear factor of the unknown which is driving investors to US bonds and GERMAN bunds!!!

Archived