Chapala.com Webboard

meat for BARF diet

BARF is an acronym for "biologically appropriate raw food", which is my chosen method to feed my dogs. Mexico is a great place to get chicken necks, feet and other parts but I am looking for diversity. One of my dogs can't have too much beef and pork is a little fatty and I use fish on occassion.

I am hoping to find a source for rabbit and/or wild meat. In the states I might find a hunter and get lucky enough to snag some deer. Anyone know where I can find some new sources of protein for my fur kids?

Talk to the young woman at the Tuesday Organic Market who sells BARF food. Her company is called AlphaVet. She will be able to give you good suggestions. I don't know of any sources for wild game here and I am pretty sure most are protected in any event.

You may want to raise your own rabbits. That's what a neighbor did NOB who had wolf hybrids.

Good idea regarding woman at market. I am among those that suppress the reality that meat comes from live animals so raising them, umm, NO.

Talk to the young woman at the Tuesday Organic Market who sells BARF food. Her company is called AlphaVet. She will be able to give you good suggestions. I don't know of any sources for wild game here and I am pretty sure most are protected in any event.

You may want to raise your own rabbits. That's what a neighbor did NOB who had wolf hybrids.

We used to call this the Bones And Raw Food Diet, man I gotta keep up with the times. I am sure you are well versed on the book the Vet who invented this diet put out. Certainly that gives you the information for diversification yet maintaining a balanced diet. You might try and find some of the dog show people in town and see if they can help. Travis, I would think, could put you in touch with some of these people. Also maybe check with one of the Huichols and see if any of them still hunt wild game or would do so for you. Too any of the more rural people should be able to help.

Also maybe check with one of the Huichols and see if any of them still hunt wild game or would do so for you.

That's an interesting,thinking outside of the box,sort of idea,contracting Huichols to hunt wild animals to feed to your pet dog...

Archived