Chapala.com Webboard

New phone books

johanson

Directories have arrived and are ready for pick up.

The new directories are ready for pick up however there are some inadvertent ommissions from the white pages. A supplement is being prepared and you can pick up your book now and the supplement next week OR wait until next week for both.

Why can't they get this right and get it delivered in January. Its on a computer and printers do this in nothing flat shouldn't be more than a 2 week turn around. Geez, its hardly worth it for people who come just for winter and start leaving about now.

Why can't they get this right and get it delivered in January. Its on a computer and printers do this in nothing flat shouldn't be more than a 2 week turn around. Geez, its hardly worth it for people who come just for winter and start leaving about now.

Maybe because it's almost entirely volunteers that handle this task. Maybe because database software is not as functionable as you might think. Maybe because members make changes a lot? Maybe because the LCS is using outdated, but already paid for, software?

Do you volunteer to help? Again, I've no bone in this fight. And I'm only guessing about this issue, based on my prior experience with volunteer groups.

Again, I've no bone in this fight. And I'm only guessing about this issue, based on my prior experience with volunteer groups. Maybe because it's almost entirely volunteers that handle this task. Maybe because database software is not as functionable as you might think. Maybe because members make changes a lot? Maybe because the LCS is using updated software?

Do you volunteer to help?

Thanks, Jeanette - possibly some of all of the above and hopefully we'll be able to pinpoint where the problem occurred. And AWC has been here long enough to be aware of what unfortunately can and does happen.

Yes, Ellie that's true and all those points are possibilities, but after a certain length of time and it doesn't improve then it's broken, not fixable and a different model needs to b tried. I offered a few year ago to revamp it over a year but the same old thing is preferred. Maybe I will make the offer again.

I got mine Friday. Great job. I remember last year how the printer had accidentally put some of the colored advertising pages upside-down in a small % of the phone books. Some folks were really upset ;) which I thought rather sad. I went back with my correct phonebook and volunteered to take one with some upside-down pages. I thought it was kind of cool.

I've saved all of my LCS phonebooks since 1997. It's kind of cool to look back at some of the older additions.

Keep up the great work.

Pete

For those interested, there is an explanation and apology on http://www.lakechapalasociety.org

Their explanation deals with people who were inadvetently omitted from the directory, hence the need for the supplemental sheets. However, it does not address my issue of being listed in the supplement, when I have always opted 'out' of publication. Maybe they know that is also a problem, maybe they don't. I sent an email to LCS about my issue.

My info is all screwed up..like you I thought that it being on a pre set computer programe , how can they make errors???

• 3 weeks later...

No offense folks but do you know 20% of the people in LCS do 80% of the work. I know it is frustrating when things are not right but believe me it is very difficult to get volunteers

to do technical stuff. Yes LCS can do better and Terry knows that but sometimes stuff just happens because of a variety of reasons due to the nature of our labor model using

volunteers. Terry is one human being and if you ever followed him around for a day you would be amazed at the breadth and complexity of the stuff Terry has to work with. I work

three jobs at LCS and all I can say is I could use a network engineer to help me with some computer stuff and I am sure Terry has technical jobs and projects that could use some

help. After spending 35 years messing with computers I don't particuarly enjoy working with computers down here but Terry needs help so I volunteer.

Not making excuses. I don't blame people being upset about being included when they don't want to be. Just trying to make people understand how difficult it is to manage LCS

and the Wilkes center. Believe it or not putting a directory is a very major project for a project manager. Hopefully we can do better next time.

Thanks for listening

Just another volunteer trying to do a good job.

No offense folks but do you know 20% of the people in LCS do 80% of the work. I know it is frustrating when things are not right but believe me it is very difficult to get volunteers

to do technical stuff. Yes LCS can do better and Terry knows that but sometimes stuff just happens because of a variety of reasons due to the nature of our labor model using

volunteers. Terry is one human being and if you ever followed him around for a day you would be amazed at the breadth and complexity of the stuff Terry has to work with. I work

three jobs at LCS and all I can say is I could use a network engineer to help me with some computer stuff and I am sure Terry has technical jobs and projects that could use some

help. After spending 35 years messing with computers I don't particuarly enjoy working with computers down here but Terry needs help so I volunteer.

Not making excuses. I don't blame people being upset about being included when they don't want to be. Just trying to make people understand how difficult it is to manage LCS

and the Wilkes center. Believe it or not putting a directory is a very major project for a project manager. Hopefully we can do better next time.

Thanks for listening

Just another volunteer trying to do a good job.

I appreciate your explaination on the quality of good help..however if it takes longer to do the job correctly so be it...I think this edition is the most messed up thing to date..some of the pages are upsidedown!! .when the volunteers asked if there are any changes and you say no..then the final thing is all messed up... please do not volunteer for stuff you are not qualified to do....grr

I appreciate your explaination on the quality of good help..however if it takes longer to do the job correctly so be it...I think this edition is the most messed up thing to date..some of the pages are upsidedown!! .when the volunteers asked if there are any changes and you say no..then the final thing is all messed up... please do not volunteer for stuff you are not qualified to do....grr

Its not the quality of people. Many smart qualified people do volunteer at LCS. Think of a project like this as herding cats. You just don't have as much control of the situation

as you would like to. Not unique to LCS.

TobyJug, I've got an idea. Why don't you volunteer to run this project for next year's book? Not to be rude, but put up or shut uo!

For goodness sake, people, the publishing of the LCS Directory is not entirely the work of LCS volunteers, as dedicated as they might be. There's only so much initial preparation of information they can be responsible for. At some point, it's turned over to professionals. For the 2012 LCS directory ad sales and prep, and all final stages involved to bring it to press was in the hands of the same people who publish The Chapala Review, whose owner is Darryl Tennenbaum. I'm sure I am recalling correctly that Tennenbaum announced his taking over the project through an agreement with LCS president Howard Feldstein in 2010. You will see in this current directory on page 103 that the LCS "Directory Editorial Committee" thanks Tennenbaum and his staff for making the directory possible. Tennenbaum was in charge of the final stages of the 2011edition also, but it was a transitional period. In that directory the LCS Directory Editorial committee thanks Tannenbaum as well as Tod Jonson (page 131) who for years sold LCS advertisement when LCS itself was overseeing the entire responsibility of producing the directory.

I'm just piping up to say that if mistakes were made there were others involved besides the hardworking LCS volunteers who at a certain point aren't professional publishers.

Lexy

Archived