Chapala.com Webboard

Sonora's Meat - We are already opened

josepepe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to push Carnes Fines de Sonora in Guadalajara (Vallarta and Patria - there are others with similar names), but the other day we bought vacio, ribeye, prime rib and beef ribs - some were Angus, I think all were imported except the ribs maybe and I don't think they were expensive, not more so than the local stuff. We cooked parts of each on the bbq and other pieces in a sauce, separately. They were all well marbled, vacio finely, ribeye coarsely and so on. In order of delish, vacio, ribeye, prime rib and costillas - each distinct but each very good and tender. As I said, they supply Tango. So I maintain what I said before about the unmarbled ribeye and tasteless tough vacio from Sonora meats in Ajijic with the weird gob of trim fat & gristle on the ribeye - their meat is inferior. Just try the other place for comparison before you get all googly-eyed about the local stuff. It's not about getting defensive or the honour of local sellers, it's about standards.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You Melinda. I also have had a negative experience at Tony's. The behind counter people were surly at best, but the owner was beyond belief, Not been back since (except I cannot find a location for ham hocks). They need the competition or Super Lake needs to have a fresh meat selection.

Thenk you

R

While some people have had luck special ordering from the new Sonora's meat market, we tried to order brisket (even knew the Mexican name for it) and they acted as if it was impossible. Basically we were told that if it wasn't in their display case, they didn't have it, period. They didn't seem to have much in their display case either so we left there wondering how they'll make it. The bad news is that Tony's has a decent selection and will do special orders, but I hate having to deal with the big surly guy too. It doesn't matter how much of a smile you have on your face or how friendly you are, you get an attitude from him as if you were forcing him to do something. We've lived here five years now and he seems to have relaxed a little bit with me now that he recognizes me, but he's still an unpleasant man in general. Strangely enough, we've found some really good steaks at Walmart, but it's hit or miss just like everything else.

Thank You Melinda. I also have had a negative experience at Tony's. The behind counter people were surly at best, but the owner was beyond belief, Not been back since (except I cannot find a location for ham hocks). They need the competition or Super Lake needs to have a fresh meat selection.

Thenk you

R

I quit going to Tony's for quite a while due to his and his staff's attitude. His wife (I think) at the cash register never smiles, says hello, good-bye or gracias. They are getting a little better lately except for the wife.

Wow! I have never found Oscar to have and attitude or be surly. Just the opposite, he's always delightful. He's done special orders for me and even custom cutting on locally raised venison. All in all a good guy.

I agree, he always remembers me even if it's been almost a year since I've been in and always shares a joke or funny story with me. He even tolerates my shaky Spanish. He and his dad and all the waiters in the restaurant are top notch IMNTBHO.

Archived