Chapala.com Webboard

Tapatio Tours-Guadalajara/Guidebooks

FHBOY

Has anyone used Tapatio Tours (http://www.tapatiotour.com) for sightseeing in Guadalajara?

I have read TripAdvisor and the general comments are good.

I'd like people with first hand experience to respond.

The price ($110 mxn) seems good and the hop-on-hop off feature is like we had in London.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, which guidebook(s) have you found most comprehensive and portable for a tour?

I do not want to drive all over Guad, neither can any of us do a whole lot of walking.

THNX

We used it when we first came here. In general I was disappointed. We got on near the Cathedral just as the bus was leaving, so we (apparently) missed a good bit of the narrative about el centro. The bus almost immediately leaves el centro and heads out past the Minerva circle and then over to Plaza del Sol. We did not hop on or off as there was no place of interest for me on the route. I really liked the candelaria ride around el centro but the drivers only speak Spanish. So we missed most of the history..

Over the years I have tailored an el centro tour for our guests. It always includes a trip to Palace d' Armee to see the beautiful Orosco Murals on the staircase and in the chambers. Often just inside the door there is a lady who speaks English and will tell you what is happening that day in Guad. There are tourist booths on the Plaza in front of Degollado theater but they only speak Spanish too. You can visit the theater in the afternoon IF there is no show that night. We find the walk from the Cathedral / Palace de Armee past Degollado theater and on to Las Cabañas (visit the inside too) and then down the steps to the Libertad market is a nice day.

Alternatively Charter Club has a SUnday tour of what I think is about the same but with the history. The tour guide Rosie is informative and well educated/ spoken.

Due to scheduling we must take a Guad tour on a Monday. One of the travel agencies in town only offer a Guad tour, with a side to Tlaq on Sunday, and the charges are astronomical, $65 USD/person. The other agency will not know when or if they will offer a tour, it depends on the # of people who want it at that time.

We will soldier on!

Archived