Chapala.com Webboard

Residents of Jocotopec

mhopkins2

I'm having difficulty finding information about expats living in Jocotepec. How many, any organizations, satisfaction with living in the community, etc. Do any on this forum reside in Jocotepic?

Mike

I purchased my house here in 2008. Not living here full time yet but I'm very happy in my Mexican neighborhood with view of lake and mountains. Lovely neighbors who have been very helpful and welcoming. I'm away months at a time and the fence around the house you can step over and I still have not been broken into! (knock on madera!)

If you want a little more authentic Mexican, cheaper property prices and close community plaza action, Joco is the place for you! Not to mention we have the best homemade ice cream around and one of the last hand made Huarache craftsman left.

We live in Roca Azul which is a little community at the very west end of the lake and within Jocotopec. It is a very rural area surrounded by fields of berries (mostly as far as I can tell). It is peaceful and we can be in the Joco shopping district within about ten minutes by car, although on occasion we walk. We can also be in Guadalajara in about forty minutes if we take a notion to shop at Costco, Sam's or Wal-Mart and usually drop in at Applebee's for lunch before coming home. I would recommend it for many reasons but mainly for the quiet and the friendly neighbors.

We are full-time RVers who live in Roca Azul in the summer months and usually go to the coast during the winter months. We have been doing it for almost 3 years and although Roca Azul is the only RV park in this area. (I know that there are places out there that we can put an RV on, but they are not "RV Parks"). We like the annematies that the park has.

We also like the little town of Joco that has not been over-run by expats who want to change the Mexican culture and way of life. Joco is still a Mexican peublo that still has lower prices than neighboring Ajijic and Chapala. Housing costs are higher and it seems that the "gringo" pricing exists when you compare prices of services and goods. You will not find people speaking English on every street corner like you would further east up the lakeside.

In Joco, you may have to have a better understanding of the Spanish language, or at least be more patient, because you may not find many locals that speak English like you would in Ajijc,.and you may find only one or two local hang-outs that cater to the gringo community.

So, expect those differences if you plan to live in Joco.

We like it and prefer it that way. Good luck to you and welcome to Joco.

• 3 weeks later...

Check the coffee shop on the plaza in the mornings for a table or two full of gringos. They may know what is going on. Take your time .... there are some real nice places for not much money.

There's a Mexican woman that likes to help with everything you'll need but she is expensive and I don't like her rentals .... take your time

Another big advantage is that it is a straight shot up Ruta 54 to the shopping on Lopez Mateos plus you save at least 30 minutes on a beach trip from there compared to us in Ajijic or Chapala.

Roca Azul is one of the most beautiful RV parks I have ever seen. We used to RV and have said on more than a few occasions that we should have just driven our Country Coach down there and parked it and lived there.

Joco is a nice town in an excellent location.

I have two places in/near Joco!!

One is 1 kilometer before entering the town and the other is in San Cristobal Zapotitlan. San Cristobal is on the South side of the lake passed Rocal Azul and San Pedro Tesisstan.

Joco is a great place as others have mentioned ,,,,but if you really want "Mexican",,,,,Pass Rocal Azul and you are in the country.

Archived