Chapala.com Webboard

New Chinese restaurant

Shira

Actually, we have tried it, and at least that one time it was not good. Since you feel so strongly about it, I guess we could give it another go, but he can't make up his mind whether his resto is Thai or Japenese or whatever. For all my complaining about it, I have an educated palate and apart from that, there are some objective criteria that have to be met before something can be said to approach a certain standard.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were frequent customers of the Red Dragon in Joco. My wife always got the shrimp tempura and I tried many of the menu items.

The last time we went, it was indeed the LAST time. I had a chicken & brocolli dish and it was like there were two different types of chicken in the dish. The fresh chicken and the, well, not so fresh chicken. Let's cut to the chase, shall we? By the time we got to our parking lot on Rio Bravo in Ajijic, the chicken, both kinds came flying out of my mouth!! There was nothing I could do to prevent this. For the next 4 hours thats the way it was. Then, it was gone. Just like that. Never even made it to my digestive tract. So now if my wife wants the tempura, we get take out. As for me, no never again. We eat street food everywhere with never a problem.

For all your complaining about Tempura, it's pretty obvious that you haven't tried Ricki's on Marcellos Castellanos. Always crispy, lightly battered, not oily.Great food at cheap prices. Great service too.

Just had lunch at Ricki's and you are right on John...the tempura is a good as it gets...crispy, lightly battered, and not oily. Salads are great also.

As far as whether he considers his place Thai or Japanese, I don't think he claims anything other than he serves a mix of both cuisines. Take it for what it is.

This is just my opnion, as I don't know whether I have an "educated palate" or not.

I think the person who suggested that countries with strong food cultures often don't have lots of quality cuisines from other countries, hit the nail on the head. Restaurants cater to Mexican palates. We are a small minority of their customers.

For sort of Chinese that is cheap and flavorful, don't forget the store font inside Soriana.

When I worked in Boulder CO, we had a team come from China for training. I suggested a Chinese restaurant I loved that had gotten rave reviews. Considered one of the best in Denver metro. The reviewers said "order from the back section of the menu for really authentic Chinese". Long story short, they went and said it was awful.

Guest RevImmigrant

Several comments: The lady who runs the China Inn in Joco with her husband is Japanese so she has tempura and some Japanese or Japanese influenced items on the menu.

I arrived in NYC last night and had take-out from a Chinese restaurant in 'Chinatown in Flushing, Queens that is highly regarded on chow (http://www.chow.com). I was disappointed in the food. It was exceptionally greasy. I like my food greasier than most so if I say it's extremely greasy, it's like the Exxon Valdez oil spill on a plate. The noodles with meat sauce was bland (it's a Sichuan restaurant). The Sichuan sliced pork was rather bland although it had plenty of Sichuan peppercorns. The portions, however, were enormous and I have enough left over for tomorrow. If this is any example of what Chinese food in the two Chinatowns in NYC is like, I will have to find something else to eat while I am here.

Archived