Chapala.com Webboard

Ranch Dog of the Week - BENJI the "Beautiful"

"Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" (or so the saying goes)...our boy Benji may not win a beauty contest, but he has a heart of solid gold. Benji originally belonged to an elderly fellow in Tepehua. One day, a cruel neighbor set some aggressive dogs against poor Benji, badly injuring his eye and ear…Benji's owner did not have the resources to get treatment, and felt the dog was no longer safe from further attacks. He realized the best thing to do was surrender Benji to the Ranch. Benji's eye was surgically removed, so he has a permanent "wink" for anyone who would give him a well-deserved place in their home! A volunteer worked tirelessly with him, teaching him to trust people and walk on a leash. He's a large, 6-to-7 year old German Shepherd mix.

rdow_b10.jpg

Benji is one of our Ranch dogs who has truly touched my heart. Once the beloved companion of an elderly gentleman, he has such a sad story. And he has such a kind soul. Benji will never be a guard dog, he is far too gentle. He will, however, be a faithful and loyal and loving companion for the right person.

I see Benji every Tuesday and look forward to greeting him and his kennel mate Honey. He gets walked at least once a month by one of us volunteers and is one of the dogs I feel comfortable with on a leash because he doesn't race or bolt. I hope he gets his forever home and in return he would be a very loyal dog.

When rescued, Benji was frightened by everything...just wearing a collar/leash made him frantic! A patient and gentle voluteer dedicated lots of time and love to socialize him and train him to walk on a leash. He loves to take walks and get pats, and would be a great addition to a forever home. He's a love doggy!

Archived