Chapala.com Webboard

may a friend bring a pound of pastrami on the airplane

gravy

No. All meats are now prohibited: fresh, frozen, deli, yummy...

A friend brought (or, tried to bring) the exact same thing: a pound of New York deli pastrami and it was confiscated at the airport in Guadalajara.

JROD, When was this?

The middle of Sept 2014 I came back and had salted pork and aduana told me it was okay. Just sayin'

No, don't even try it. The adorable pastrami-sniffing dog wandering around in the baggage claim area with his master from Aduana sniffed the pastrami that had been in my carry-on from half a sandwich we had left over (from the Carnegie Deli!) and ate on the plane. He came right over to me and put his paw on my tote bag! I told the officer the sandwich was no more, and all was well, but I'm glad we had eaten every scrap (besides, it was really good!) on the flight.

Bringing in deli meats or dry sausages or dried meats are a crap-shoot.

Individual Aduana agents have a lot of personal discretion - in both directions, to allow or deny the personal import of prepared meat products.

Commercially prepared cured, smoked, cooked, dried meats in their original sealed un-opened commercial packaging are frequently allowed. Raw meat, or loose meat in a sandwich or in a baggie are almost guaranteed to be confiscated.

Based on 30 years of past history of family and friends flying into Mexico, a commercial Spanish-style or Italian-style dry sausage, well sealed in vacuum packaging, has a reasonable shot at being waved through, while a raw bratwurst has about zero chance.

American style beef jerky in its original sealed commercial packaging has a good history of being allowed in.

As always with Aduana, they have the latitude to make their decision on the spot, so if you bring the meat product, don't get upset if they confiscate it.

One close friend managed to annoy the Aduana officer - and they declared that his daughter's stuffed animals were "animal products" ... and confiscated them.

~ Caprichoso ~

You have to fill out a declaration form before you land in Mexico. On there is a check place that says are you bringing any meat, check yes or no. If you check yes, they will look at your meat and make a decision if they will let you bring it in. If you check no and they find it, you could be in for a big fine for trying to "smuggle" in the meat.

I'm not sure what makes it kosher - but pastrami is the easiest cured meat to make. You need curing salt (pink) and a slow cooker/crock pot. It make take up to ten hours before it is tender. Best to order the salt from the U.S. from Morton's (or kosher) - that way the instructions will be in English. Curing salt is toxic on its own - this is why it is pink.

Archived