La Nona

Wookie

We have been picking up some really great food at this new place:

La Nona

Carretera Poniente 29-C

Ajijic

331 130 9584

The have a web site: www.LaNonaEnAjijic.com

You can order on line or by phone for food to be made just for you.

They usually have 3 or so things for you to choose from until they run out. Today and most weekends they have paella which is very good (we have had it twice now). We also could not resist the chicken mole after they gave us a taste of the mole ... it is truly fantastic.

The paella for two was $123.00 pesos (they weigh it so this price will vary depending on how much

you decide you need for two people.

Two pieces of chicken with mole was $93.00 pesos and

rice for two was $10.00 pesos

Please give them a try and help to keep this really great new place in business :)

They are right on the Carretera about 2 to 3 blocks west of Colon on the mountain side next door to the pool supply place.

I just looked at the very attractive website and the first item was $160 pesos for a stuffed beef roll. The rest of the prices were equally high. So, my question is: are those prices for a single serving, or to feed two?

Not bad for two, but "ouch" for one.

My thoughts too.

It's unclear what amount the prices on the website refer to, but based on the OP, it sounds reasonable.

The paella for two was $123.00 pesos (they weigh it so this price will vary depending on how much

you decide you need for two people.

Two pieces of chicken with mole was $93.00 pesos and

rice for two was $10.00 pesos

It's unclear what amount the prices on the website refer to, but based on the OP, it sounds reasonable.

In order to attract customers, I think it would be very helpful for the owner to be clear about this on the website itself. For example, there is no way I'd order that referenced beef roll for one person at that price. That would buy a complete sit down steak dinner at many local "nice" restaurants.

The website is clear. Click on an item. It is per kilogram. They weigh the food. No minimum order, you can order whatever weight you want. So that's 2.2 pounds of beef and vegetable roll for 140 pesos... That would feed two, I imagine... I have not tried it but plan to. Great idea. Nice website.

The website is clear. Click on an item. It is per kilogram. They weigh the food. No minimum order, you can order whatever weight you want. So that's 2.2 pounds of beef and vegetable roll for 140 pesos... That would feed two, I imagine... I have not tried it but plan to. Great idea. Nice website.

Okay. I followed your suggestion and clicked on the item itself, where it stated that it was per kilo. So sure, that should feed two. Still seems a little high, but maybe it's worth it. Will try it sometime.

We are pretty good eaters but I don't think we would each eat over a pound of beef rolls especially with accompaniments. La Nona made Pie Azteca along with beans for us for a party of 22. We had enough leftover for six the next day and the total cost was under $900 pesos. The food was great, delivered to the door and depending on how you figure - for the original 22 or actual 30 - it was between 32 and 40 pesos per person.

I'll be back for sure.

The place is by no means new, in case anyone is wondering. We ate there several months ago (well, took it to go). The food was no better than average, to me, by any stretch. The meat in the rolls was particularly tough; everything else was kind of soupy. I can't blindly support any place just because its there...

Thanks to LakeViews for sating everyone's appetite for clarity regarding the prices. I suspected they were pricing by kilo, but didn't notice the clickable photos. Definitely sounds reasonable to me.

And I am really looking forward to trying La Nona! Based on how interesting their menu looks (relative to the 337 restaurants in town with identical menus) I'll be willing to try out at least a handful of different things in the hope I find some winners.

ComputerGuy, sorry you had a bad meal. I was not aware that they had been there for months! Sure wish I had known we could have been saving some money sooner :) We have bought several meals now and they have all been excellent. We wind up spending at least 1/2 of what we pay in a regular restaurant and get to eat it in the comfort of our home. I do add a salad or a vegetable and bread/butter depending. We finally ate the chicken mole today (we wound up going out with friends instead of eating it fresh) and it was excellent! Anyone that likes mole should give this one a try.

I tried La Nona a couple of days ago. I chose the pork in chile verde plus a stuffed chayote. I got 300 grams of the chile verde, plus one half chayote au gratin. The Pork in Chile Verde was nice and fresh and tasty (and NOT spicy, so don't worry about that .... I would personally have preferred it with a bit more chile but anyway...). The pork was nice and moist and the sauce flavorful. The chayote was a fine accompaniment. An easy and not heavy meal for all of $52 pesos. I should have made a little rice at home before heating and eating the chile verde, as that would have been perfect to soak up the sauce. Or I could have just bought some of the rice she had available. Ooops.

I'll go back and try some of the other stuff on their menu to see if I can find some favorites.

Archived