Chapala.com Webboard

Aghh! They may be coming after all!

JayBearII

Yes it is her same old retread article. This one in 2011. Has she even been here since the last time it was 2006 or 07? She is paid a small amount for these articles and more power to her since she is able to sell the same ones over and over.

There are no hoards descending. The economy and fear took care of that threat. It was small threat anyway and touted mostly by realtors.

"In other words, the path has been cut. Moving here, you could slide into a way of life not dramatically different from the life you left behind in the States. You wouldn’t have to worry about learning the local language if you didn’t want to. You wouldn’t have to work to make a place for yourself among the local community, because this isn’t a “local” community."

Oh great! Another wave of NOB folks flooding in who don't want to learn the language or the culture and just want to complain because they can't get their special peanut butter and the local people don't speak proper English. Aghh, indeed... I looked for a way to leave a comment below the article about the daily kidnappings and beheadings of expats right on the Ajijic Plaza, but I couldn't find a way.

Leading people to believe they can live in Ajijic on $50/day is so far wrong they should be sued!

$50 US per day is $20,500 pesos per month [$1,520 US] and according to statistics a household to de considered middle class in Mexico have to have a minumum of $14,000 pesos per month. The article is fairly accurate in all respects to Mexico as far as I see it.

Guest bennie2

jnc, there have always been people retiring to mexico who dont know the language. (or having a 2nd home) this is not new. mexico is like an alternative to florida. theres a difference between a student culture exchange program & retirement. the world now is global. people move to the US, eat thier special foods, speak their own language.

According to "International Living" magazine Kathleen Peddicord has been living in Ireland these past few years.

That's where she and Lief domicile but don't think she actually spends a lot of time there. Think taxes!

jnc, there have always been people retiring to mexico who dont know the language. (or having a 2nd home) this is not new. mexico is like an alternative to florida. theres a difference between a student culture exchange program & retirement. the world now is global. people move to the US, eat thier special foods, speak their own language.

Bennie, it's perfectly fine for people to move here not knowing the language. I didn't when I arrived, but I almost immediately started taking classes and doing my best to learn it. Not bothering to even to try to learn it is another thing entirely, which is what she is saying. She is also saying you don't have to try to be part of the local community "because this isn’t a “local” community." What utter nonsense! Move along folks...no Mexicans to see here!

We are guests in this country. The least we can do is to try to learn the language as best we can, and to participate in the "local community" in which we live. I have very little patience with the kind of mindless north-of-the-border arrogance that she is encouraging.

Guest bennie2

jnc, retirement industry is not a college student exhange project. its not vista or peacecore either. there is no reason to learn the language if you do not choose. you dont need to buy woven rugs, carry baskets, do "out reach". we are not guests, we are paying customers. its 2014. next: not sure exactly what she means by "no mex community". she could mean that most of the mexicans are workers, & expats wouldnt have much in commen? the professionals who here are usually in their 30 & 40s. (they dont carry baskets either. most dont want to hang out w/70 year olds). they may buy some mex antiques but for the most part they are kind of internationally global, or just generically mallish. neither the working class or the professional class care if expats participate. (they do like our business). when you say "its the least they can do"- you sound like we came here for social work, & owe some kind of debt. i hardly find freedom of choice "mindless". @ one time people did move here (ajijic) because they had a deep interest or attraction to the culture. (some wanted to help out as well). those same people if alive today would not choose ajijic because theres not much of it left. my aunt lived in guad & ajijic. she loved mexico & had made several vacations to mex city in the 1960s. (also wanted to live on less). never learned spanish. she also said in her very late years, "if it knew it would have changed &looked like this, i wouldnt have come in the first place". she did have mex friends in guad who were doctors, but not here. so the agent is correct about the retirement industry. each agent has thier own "sell".

Have the author's articles had the effect of boosting American retirees coming to Chapala?

Or have other factors like regular American reporting of 10,000's of gruesome drug violence deaths and kidnappings in Mexico played a bigger role?

Think about the cumulative effects of American reporting right wing fears about terrorists and diseases crossing the Arizona and Texas borders, and how many Americans came out to yell vitriolic hateful things at busloads of South of the Border immigrant kids and moms.

American's xenophobic fears of Mexico as a "failed State" have been fed by Hillary's public statements and by the fears and biases of some US generals who openly claimed and predicted that Mexico was falling apart.

Many ordinary middle-aged Americans are quietly afraid to come to Mexico or venture out of coastal tourist/cruise-ship areas. Only when pressed do my brothers and sisters, who live back in the States, repeat the fears they see and hear in US media as reasons to not come to Mexico. They don't openly talk about the media-driven fear, but it is enough to keep them from visiting us here, as they offer instead to pay our travel costs to come visit them.

As a result, I question whether breezy articles like this one have caused lots of Americans to move to the Lake Chapala area since 2011.

Do other people know American retirees coming to Mexico, who reference the few positive articles they've read in US media?

What are the qualities or characteristics of American retirees who have come here since 2011?

Who are they? Why did they come?

Guest bennie2

i have friends who live in los cobos, & people visit them. sometimes they go to guad for a furniture expo. some friends vacation near tulum. other than the hurricane, no one i know has a negative thing to say about mexico. for them its a stunning resort. lakeside is fairly safe all things considered.

Most of my NOB friends are afraid to come to Mexico and would never move here. However, they also don't want to visit anywhere outside of the U.S. "I want to see the United States first" is their old saw. Very few ever do "see the U.S." and I figure that in their case it is just an excuse. They are so paranoid because of the information they are fed and choose to believe that their whole "safe" world revolves around the 50 States. Maybe Hawaii is a vacation spot but most often it is Florida or California. I think that a lot of folks in the U.S. are just content to stay where they are no matter how bad that is for them economically or socially. They have lost that feeling for adventure and novelty. They don't appreciate "foreigners" in the U.S. even though most of my friends' parents are either "foreigners" or have grandparents who were "foreigners". It's just what we've become in the U.S. I see it as insular and self-absorbed. Economics wasn't my first reason for coming to Mexico and I would have sought adventure in another country if it hadn't been Mexico. This is just my experience with my U.S. and even Canadian friends. There can be no mass movement from NOB to Mexico and further south until people get over their fear. Even friends in Chicago fear Mexico and nothing but nothing changes such an illogical notion. Mexico, to my friends, is any place over the southern U.S. frontier. They lump every blessed place in this country into one name.

One quick, funny story. My one friend is a Mexican who has lived for 20 plus years in California and Florida. His mother now lives in Los Angeles. He couldn't tell her that he was visiting Mexico because she told him that they are picking people off with guns as they get off the airplane here.

Guest bennie2

if people are so afraid, & havnt traveled, then it IS foolish for them to come here. older folks should be comfortable. if im myself am not familar w/a place, i wont go either. that includes most of the US as well. adventure is not top of peoples list if they are frail old or sick. what constitutes an adventure? i still dont get it. there can be mass movements (to anywhere) if marketed correctly. look @ all the people who came here. for some this was the first place they ever visited. they had "focus on mexico" & other help.

Arranging your life to accommodate your fears is probably as old as the human race. There were probably primitive people who preferred staying in the cave to confronting what they'd "heard" lurked outside. Those people always have and always will prefer the known and the "safe" to its alternatives. They won't be rushing down here. Too many unknowns, so it's too scary. I say.......whatever lets you sleep well at night is what you should do.

However, those of us who packed our bags and our possible fears and headed down here to live in our retirement have no reason to be smug about it, or feel superior to those who aren't up to it. In the same way, we don't get cosmic brownie points for integrating into the local community. If we feel rewarded by the experience: fine. That's to our own benefit.

Great reaction, Gringal, nicely put.

And we must learn to be on to those phony promotions to move here from the real estate types. As well as the scary notices without basis. And we must learn to tell the difference.

Lexy

Great reaction, Gringal, nicely put.

And we must learn to be on to those phony promotions to move here from the real estate types. As well as the scary notices without basis. And we must learn to tell the difference.

Lexy

My rule of thumb would be to not pay much attention to anyone who hasn't actually lived somewhere for time measured in years, not weeks.

Guest bennie2

gringal, good liberitarian approch. the big talkers are people who havnt traveled. coming "here" is the big one. im not attracted to 2nd or 3rd world countries in general. i came here because relatives were here. traveled to peru because my friends family had a large home in a good area. (with a driver). had read terrible things about that city on the internet, but acted accordingly. no i didnt get around in an armored car. there was trouble that week in another part of peru. traveled alone to europe right after highschool, but not student style. anyway, let people talk thier talk. if this is the bigone let them show off. these folks (when i have met them) are always trying to teach me. (even after being here 4 days). dont rain on their parade. the cosmic brownie points are just a left over '60s mentality.

Archived